Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140 - Powerpc ; Hello, i try to install Debian Linux (PPC) on a IBM RS/6000 p43 model 140 (332MHz). According to http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ i changed the boot-device on ___ and inserted CD1 from Debian PowerPC woody 3.0 R1 in CD-ROM. When booting the machine ...

  1. Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    Hello,

    i try to install Debian Linux (PPC) on a IBM RS/6000 p43 model 140
    (332MHz).
    According to http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ i changed the
    boot-device on ___ and inserted CD1 from Debian PowerPC woody 3.0 R1 in
    CD-ROM.

    When booting the machine searches for a short time on CD and stops with
    a white screen (IBM+logo and an arrow with the words `Starting software
    .... please wait`) ... after changing some F-Numbers on the machine
    itself it shows an `F05` on the position described before?

    What i'm doing wrong? Is there any other way to install a RS/6000 140?

    Thx for any help,

    mfg fg

    --
    Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
    Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de

  2. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:

    > Hello,

    > i try to install Debian Linux (PPC) on a IBM RS/6000 p43 model 140
    > (332MHz).
    > According to http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ i changed the
    > boot-device on ___ and inserted CD1 from Debian PowerPC woody 3.0 R1 in
    > CD-ROM.

    > When booting the machine searches for a short time on CD and stops with
    > a white screen (IBM+logo and an arrow with the words `Starting software
    > ... please wait`) ... after changing some F-Numbers on the machine
    > itself it shows an `F05` on the position described before?

    Ok you don't say if this is recent deb cd?
    Some older CD's won't support RS6000 as bootable.

    It sounds like and this is a guess, it sees the
    cdrom and says yeah bootable media then fails in
    the load somewhere. That kind of describes 'F05'
    Or perhaps it is on the serial console as in 'limitaions' below.

    Have you played around with the firmware menus to
    see if all the hardware is recognised.
    Have you checked to make sure the firmware is current?

    Have you read the following from the site you point to?

    Limitations

    The PReP boot loader only works on the serial console. The boot loader
    displays a boot prompt that allows you to enter the kernel command line
    arguments. Any errors early in the boot process will also be displayed
    there. Because of this, at least when you are starting out, you should
    use a dumb terminal or PC with NULL-modem cable connected to the serial
    port. Once everything is working you can then disconnect this, if
    required.

    Hope this helps
    -Walt

  3. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
    > Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:
    >> i try to install Debian Linux (PPC) on a IBM RS/6000 p43 model 140
    >> (332MHz).
    >> According to http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ i changed the
    >> boot-device on ___ and inserted CD1 from Debian PowerPC woody 3.0 R1 in
    >> CD-ROM.

    [...]

    > Ok you don't say if this is recent deb cd?
    > Some older CD's won't support RS6000 as bootable.

    Debian woody 3.0 R1 IS the recent CD -> i use the "nonus" but from
    booting there should be no differences!

    > It sounds like and this is a guess, it sees the
    > cdrom and says yeah bootable media then fails in
    > the load somewhere. That kind of describes 'F05'
    > Or perhaps it is on the serial console as in 'limitaions' below.
    >
    > Have you played around with the firmware menus to
    > see if all the hardware is recognised.
    > Have you checked to make sure the firmware is current?

    Actual firmware on this machine is TIG99224 -> according to
    http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ the firmware running on the machine
    should be 99292 or above, so i downloaded the latest firmware TIG02316
    for 7043-140 (should be the right firmware!)
    from http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/...//7043140I.EXE
    (DOS-file, because i have no running AIX-system available) ... expanded
    the file and wrote .img on disk (also checked a 'sum tig02316.img' ...
    which was also ok)

    Then i tried to update firmware as discribed in help -> booting ... F1
    .... SMS ... Utilities ... update ... firmware from disk.

    The floppy seems to read some time, but the firmware always stayes at
    TIG99224?

    Why can't i install a newer firmware, which i need to boot linux?
    The instructions on serial console (0> setenv ...) doesn't help, because
    i have the wrong firmware i think?

    > Limitations
    >
    > The PReP boot loader only works on the serial console. The boot loader
    > displays a boot prompt that allows you to enter the kernel command line
    > arguments. Any errors early in the boot process will also be displayed
    > there. Because of this, at least when you are starting out, you should
    > use a dumb terminal or PC with NULL-modem cable connected to the serial

    Does this mean i have to use another PC, connecting to RS/6000 over a
    ethernet-card? I saw IP-addresses in SMS-menue to set for RS/6000 -
    should i use this?

    > Hope this helps

    thx for hints, but i hope i can get any more?!

    mfg fg

    --
    Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
    Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de

  4. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    >> Limitations
    >>
    >> The PReP boot loader only works on the serial console. The boot loader
    >> displays a boot prompt that allows you to enter the kernel command line
    >> arguments. Any errors early in the boot process will also be displayed
    >> there. Because of this, at least when you are starting out, you should
    >> use a dumb terminal or PC with NULL-modem cable connected to the serial

    > Does this mean i have to use another PC, connecting to RS/6000 over a
    > ethernet-card? I saw IP-addresses in SMS-menue to set for RS/6000 -
    > should i use this?

    No you have serial connections right I don't have the machine in front
    of me anymore 9 or 25 pin connections....

    But you would attach a serial cable to the first port and then to a PC
    serial port using a null modem block which crosses the rx/tx.
    Then on the PC run something like minicom or yeah on windows there is a
    terminal program I think.
    With the serial setting correct speed bits etc (and sometimes you have
    to tinker) you'll get output during the boot process I bet.

    Alternatively you could use an old dumb terminal and attach it similar
    not needing a pc.

  5. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
    >> Why can't i install a newer firmware, which i need to boot linux?

    After several trials i got the latest firmware on my rs6000 43p 140.

    Then I tried many ways to boot debian woody for ppc with no success:
    boot from CD
    boot from floppy
    pressed F8 on boot and tryed ...
    0 > setenv load-base 1000000
    0 > setenv real-base c00000
    0 > boot floppy:
    (according to the rs6000 howto)

    .... several floppys with the prep boot.bin but always with the same
    effekt ... system hangs on F05 ?

    > Good Luck!
    > -Walt

    Any more hints?

    thanks, mfg fg

    --
    Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
    Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
    # wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #

  6. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:

    > Any more hints?

    > thanks, mfg fg

    Do you have any other CDs that will boot on that box?
    Even an AIX just to isolate the problem. If it does
    then we know its not hardware but your media.
    I'm having trouble deciding whether your cdrom iself
    is bootable on 43p? (the disk)
    Thanks.
    -Walt

    --
    Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

  7. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
    > Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:
    >
    > Do you have any other CDs that will boot on that box?
    > Even an AIX just to isolate the problem. If it does
    > then we know its not hardware but your media.
    > I'm having trouble deciding whether your cdrom iself
    > is bootable on 43p? (the disk)

    The cdrom IS bootable ... because I installed AIX 4.2 on this machine
    from CD by myself without problems.

    I think i can remember reading a page that only a 2.4-er kernel can boot
    on rs6000 140 -> maybe debian ppc (woody) tries to start a 2.2-er kernel
    on boot.

    My next step would be, that i try to build a kernel by myselfe (i've to
    get/read some more infos) ... (transporting files to rs6000/AIX should
    be possible, because i have telnet-connection from my debian-PC to my
    rs6000)
    There are also some Links on www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/downloads.php
    (bootimage, modules, ...) which i will try ...

    thx for your help ... i would be also glad, if we could continue this
    problem per mail? (email above without no_swen_ )

    seeya gerdsch

    --
    Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
    Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
    # wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #

  8. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:
    > PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
    >> Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you have any other CDs that will boot on that box?
    >> Even an AIX just to isolate the problem. If it does
    >> then we know its not hardware but your media.
    >> I'm having trouble deciding whether your cdrom iself
    >> is bootable on 43p? (the disk)

    > The cdrom IS bootable ... because I installed AIX 4.2 on this machine
    > from CD by myself without problems.

    > I think i can remember reading a page that only a 2.4-er kernel can boot
    > on rs6000 140 -> maybe debian ppc (woody) tries to start a 2.2-er kernel
    > on boot.

    > My next step would be, that i try to build a kernel by myselfe (i've to
    > get/read some more infos) ... (transporting files to rs6000/AIX should
    > be possible, because i have telnet-connection from my debian-PC to my
    > rs6000)
    > There are also some Links on www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/downloads.php
    > (bootimage, modules, ...) which i will try ...

    > thx for your help ... i would be also glad, if we could continue this
    > problem per mail? (email above without no_swen_ )

    > seeya gerdsch

    > --
    > Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
    > Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
    > # wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #

    What you need is a diskette image .... look around you'll find one.
    I've installed many times before cdromd were bootable.

    -Walt

    --
    Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

  9. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    Gerhard Fuehrer schrieb:
    > PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
    >
    > I think i can remember reading a page that only a 2.4-er kernel can boot
    > on rs6000 140 -> maybe debian ppc (woody) tries to start a 2.2-er kernel
    > on boot.
    >
    > My next step would be, that i try to build a kernel by myselfe (i've to
    > get/read some more infos) ... (transporting files to rs6000/AIX should
    > be possible, because i have telnet-connection from my debian-PC to my
    > rs6000)
    > There are also some Links on www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/downloads.php
    > (bootimage, modules, ...) which i will try ...

    Seems to be some little step farther ...
    I downloaded zImage.prep-2.4.19 from www.solinno.co.uk and put it on a
    disc (dd).
    When booting rs6000 pressed F8 -> prompt 0 > and entered ...
    0 > boot floppy:,\zImage root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
    ramdisk_size=128000 video=s3trioff console=ttyS0 according the HowTo
    (first boot) ...
    after a F40 code and loading from disk i got again the F05 code, but
    several sec later it jumped to EEF and 222, then it became black.
    Then the rs6000 is searching on CD-rom (for ram-disk or modules i
    think?) and some moments later the boot stops with a 505 code?

    How can i load a ramdisk or modules on machine -> would it be enough to
    put the modules-2.4.19.tar.gz on AIX-system (un-tar and gunzip them) and
    give some more boot-parameters ... initrd=?

    stoney way to success ... hope i will manage it with your help!

    mfg fg

    --
    Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
    Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
    # wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #

  10. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:
    > Seems to be some little step farther ...
    > I downloaded zImage.prep-2.4.19 from www.solinno.co.uk and put it on a
    > disc (dd).
    > When booting rs6000 pressed F8 -> prompt 0 > and entered ...
    > 0 > boot floppy:,\zImage root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1
    > ramdisk_size=128000 video=s3trioff console=ttyS0 according the HowTo
    > (first boot) ...
    > after a F40 code and loading from disk i got again the F05 code, but
    > several sec later it jumped to EEF and 222, then it became black.
    > Then the rs6000 is searching on CD-rom (for ram-disk or modules i
    > think?) and some moments later the boot stops with a 505 code?

    > How can i load a ramdisk or modules on machine -> would it be enough to
    > put the modules-2.4.19.tar.gz on AIX-system (un-tar and gunzip them) and
    > give some more boot-parameters ... initrd=?

    > stoney way to success ... hope i will manage it with your help!

    > mfg fg

    I don't think your approach is prudent.
    codes mean something.
    Solving problem systematically and directly is best.

    *Display Value 222
    Explanation Progress indicator. Attempting a Normal-mode system restart
    from the standard I/O planar-attached devices specified in the NVRAM IPL
    devices list.
    System Action The system retries.
    User Action If you have not rebooted, do so now. Otherwise, record the

    *Display Value 505
    Explanation Progress indicator. Querying card in slot 5.
    System Action If an irrecoverable error occurs, the system halts.
    User Action If the system halts, go to "Hardware Diagnostics" in in AIX
    Problem Solving Guide and Reference.

    Typical cryptic IBMese but the second message
    looks like the clue. The first is just a continuation
    type message you see many similar in boot process but
    they move on. I think the first might be related to the
    second however.
    So whats in slot 5? Also check for damage especially
    if the slot is empty. Use a flashlight!

    messages at:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/doc_li...m#hp3Ph326janb

    -Walt

    --
    Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

  11. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
    > Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:

    >> after a F40 code and loading from disk i got again the F05 code, but
    >> several sec later it jumped to EEF and 222, then it became black.
    >> Then the rs6000 is searching on CD-rom (for ram-disk or modules i
    >> think?) and some moments later the boot stops with a 505 code?

    [...]

    > *Display Value 505
    > Explanation Progress indicator. Querying card in slot 5.
    > System Action If an irrecoverable error occurs, the system halts.
    > User Action If the system halts, go to "Hardware Diagnostics" in in AIX
    > Problem Solving Guide and Reference.
    >
    > Typical cryptic IBMese but the second message
    > looks like the clue. The first is just a continuation
    > type message you see many similar in boot process but
    > they move on. I think the first might be related to the
    > second however.
    > So whats in slot 5? Also check for damage especially
    > if the slot is empty. Use a flashlight!

    In slot 5 there is an IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet TP PCI Adapter (which i
    would not need, because there is another integrated network-card which i
    used to connect from pc to ppc)

    I checked the whole hardware with the diagnostic tool -> diag (on boot
    and in aix as root in smitty) -> no defect hardware
    I also demounted the ethernet card from the rs6000 -> same effekt (stop
    with a code 505)

    thx also for the usefull links ...

    I googled and found hints about key mode switch to service mode? but i
    think this rs6000 doesn't have any key-mode-switch -> also found in a
    threat about this problem.
    I'm reading several books which came with the rs6000 and aix-software
    .... I'll also try another ppc-distro (yellow-linux, which i will get on
    monday)
    More steps for future: I will try to boot per net (tftp), but i have to
    read more infos about that but i think it will also only lead in 505 ;-(

    .... so long, thanx for your steady help ...
    it seems to become work for cold, long winter nights ;-)

    greetings from austria,
    fg

    --
    Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
    Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
    # wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #

  12. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:

    > In slot 5 there is an IBM 10/100 Mbps Ethernet TP PCI Adapter (which i
    > would not need, because there is another integrated network-card which i
    > used to connect from pc to ppc)

    Remove the card .... try it.
    The objective is progress worry about the card later.
    You may need to use another type or another card not sure
    but for now let's move on.

    -Walt

    --
    Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

  13. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:

    > I also demounted the ethernet card from the rs6000 -> same effekt (stop
    > with a code 505)

    by demounted do you mean remove?
    Do you have the SMS diskette for this box?
    You talk about a switch .... these use an SMS utility.
    Older rs6000 have a physical switch like you speak.

    > thx also for the usefull links ...

    > I googled and found hints about key mode switch to service mode? but i
    > think this rs6000 doesn't have any key-mode-switch -> also found in a
    > threat about this problem.
    > I'm reading several books which came with the rs6000 and aix-software
    > ... I'll also try another ppc-distro (yellow-linux, which i will get on
    > monday)

    yes yellowdog would be my choice

    > More steps for future: I will try to boot per net (tftp), but i have to
    > read more infos about that but i think it will also only lead in 505 ;-(

    -Walt

    --
    Reply to innkeepATcapitalDOTnet to email questions.

  14. Re: Debian on RS/6000 43P model 140

    PenguinsAnonymous <> schrieb:
    > Gerhard Fuehrer wrote:
    >
    >> I also demounted the ethernet card from the rs6000 -> same effekt (stop
    >> with a code 505)

    > by demounted do you mean remove?

    removed (physical) from the rs6000 -> the slot was empty ... but as i
    told - same effekt (stopped with an code 505)

    > Do you have the SMS diskette for this box?

    SMS diskette? I updated the firmware, if you mean this -> when i push F1
    on boot i'll get into the SMS, where i changed the boot-order for
    example and installed new firmware!

    > You talk about a switch .... these use an SMS utility.
    > Older rs6000 have a physical switch like you speak.

    Yes i think so ... in a book i found a picture about such a switch -> on
    this 140 (332MHz) is no switch.

    > yes yellowdog would be my choice

    I'm curious on monday ... isn't yellowdog the distri which is
    recommended for mac (ppc)?

    nice sunday,
    mfg fg

    --
    Zu hohe Online- oder Handykosten? Muss nicht sein!
    Visit http://www.cashPT.is4u.de
    # wegen akuter Flut bitte no_swen_ vor email entfernen #

+ Reply to Thread