problem with screen on boot up - Powerpc

This is a discussion on problem with screen on boot up - Powerpc ; I tried installing Mandrake and YDL on my eMac, both of them gave a blank screen and a freeze up soon after boot up with the install disc. So I installed using text mode with YDL and it installed just ...

  1. problem with screen on boot up

    I tried installing Mandrake and YDL on my eMac, both of them gave a
    blank screen and a freeze up soon after boot up with the install disc.
    So I installed using text mode with YDL and it installed just fine.
    But still when I went to reboot into it I get the same problem.

    So I then booted up the Mandrake install disc's rescue kernel, and set
    root to my YDL / partition. This boots up fine and I am at least now
    able to log in and use YDL in console mode. If I do 'startx' the
    screen flashes, goes blank, then returns to console with an error
    message. Then I tried 'init 5'. The screen did the same thing, but
    then somehow a Yellow Dog X Configuration tool came up. With this I
    FINALLY got X working and I was running their default desktop
    environment (not sure what it's called!). But then when I told it to
    reboot, instead of killing X and showing in console mode the shut down
    sequence (init killing all applications in runlevel, announcing the
    reboot, etc.) I got the blank screen again. The system rebooted just
    fine, but I didn't see any of the process.

    When I rebooted again, just using the regular YDL boot up kernel, same
    problem as before- blank screen, frozen computer.

    **Q1: I know X works, but why am I getting a blank screen at these
    strange times??**

    **Q2: How can I START YellowDog in text mode?? Then I could just
    start X later on manually. I tried typing 'linux 3' or 'linux 1' at
    the boot prompt to enter those runlevels instead of 5, which uses X
    but I get the same problem. What's up??***

    PS-This probably has nothing to do with X, as the screen goes blank
    during boot sequence way before when X should start up... it's withing
    5 seconds of kernel loaded... maybe something to do with framebuffer?

    THANKS FOR THE HELP!! I'm SO close to having YDL running on my eMac!!
    Can't wait!!

  2. Re: problem with screen on boot up

    "Tyler Cottenie" wrote in message
    news:c9b0edd2.0309152224.203a448e@posting.google.c om...
    > I tried installing Mandrake and YDL on my eMac, both of them gave a
    > blank screen and a freeze up soon after boot up with the install disc.
    > So I installed using text mode with YDL and it installed just fine.
    > But still when I went to reboot into it I get the same problem.
    >
    > So I then booted up the Mandrake install disc's rescue kernel, and set
    > root to my YDL / partition. This boots up fine and I am at least now
    > able to log in and use YDL in console mode. If I do 'startx' the
    > screen flashes, goes blank, then returns to console with an error
    > message. Then I tried 'init 5'. The screen did the same thing, but
    > then somehow a Yellow Dog X Configuration tool came up. With this I
    > FINALLY got X working and I was running their default desktop
    > environment (not sure what it's called!). But then when I told it to
    > reboot, instead of killing X and showing in console mode the shut down
    > sequence (init killing all applications in runlevel, announcing the
    > reboot, etc.) I got the blank screen again. The system rebooted just
    > fine, but I didn't see any of the process.
    >
    > When I rebooted again, just using the regular YDL boot up kernel, same
    > problem as before- blank screen, frozen computer.
    >
    > **Q1: I know X works, but why am I getting a blank screen at these
    > strange times??**
    >
    > **Q2: How can I START YellowDog in text mode?? Then I could just
    > start X later on manually. I tried typing 'linux 3' or 'linux 1' at
    > the boot prompt to enter those runlevels instead of 5, which uses X
    > but I get the same problem. What's up??***
    >
    > PS-This probably has nothing to do with X, as the screen goes blank
    > during boot sequence way before when X should start up... it's withing
    > 5 seconds of kernel loaded... maybe something to do with framebuffer?
    >

    > THANKS FOR THE HELP!! I'm SO close to having YDL running on my eMac!!
    > Can't wait!!

    Yup, sounds like framebuffer to me. I dunno what video card you've got (I'm
    not overly familiar with Macs) but my G4 has a 16MB ATI-Rage Pro. You'll
    have to make a change to your /etc/yaboot.conf file, for my card I have the
    line;

    append="video=aty128fb:vmode:6"

    That works for me your mileage may vary.

  3. Re: problem with screen on boot up

    On 9/16/2003 8:29 AM, Draxen said:

    > Yup, sounds like framebuffer to me. I dunno what video card you've got (I'm
    > not overly familiar with Macs) but my G4 has a 16MB ATI-Rage Pro. You'll
    > have to make a change to your /etc/yaboot.conf file, for my card I have the
    > line;
    >
    > append="video=aty128fb:vmode:6"
    >
    > That works for me your mileage may vary.

    Don't know about the atyxxxfb (driver?) part, but this site has a sample
    XF86Config file, good for a laptop, but surely tweakable. Saved my G3
    Powerbook installation!

    These are the settings (courtesy of an archived YDL mailing list post)
    for driver settings:

    http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/...ry/002608.html

    cheers,

    David H

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address

  4. Re: problem with screen on boot up

    OK, I've got it working a little better now... if I add the parameter
    'video=ofonly' to yaboot or else type it in directly at the boot
    loader, everything works fine. The system boots up normally, X starts
    fine and I can use it just like I hoped. But then if I try 'init 3'
    or if I try to kill X, this is when the screen goes blank and just
    hangs. Or if I try a reboot or shutdown, it still works but I just
    don't see anything (because X was killed during the shutdown sequence
    and I don't see anything when X is killed - just a blank screen). So
    at least my system is usable... I can't go back to console mode, but
    hey... there's always the GNOME terminal!

    David Harrison wrote in message news:...
    > On 9/16/2003 8:29 AM, Draxen said:
    >
    > > Yup, sounds like framebuffer to me. I dunno what video card you've got (I'm
    > > not overly familiar with Macs) but my G4 has a 16MB ATI-Rage Pro. You'll
    > > have to make a change to your /etc/yaboot.conf file, for my card I have the
    > > line;
    > >
    > > append="video=aty128fb:vmode:6"
    > >
    > > That works for me your mileage may vary.

    > Don't know about the atyxxxfb (driver?) part, but this site has a sample
    > XF86Config file, good for a laptop, but surely tweakable. Saved my G3
    > Powerbook installation!
    >
    > These are the settings (courtesy of an archived YDL mailing list post)
    > for driver settings:
    >
    > http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/...ry/002608.html
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H