BootX ignoring video parms? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on BootX ignoring video parms? - Powerpc ; I'm using YDL 3.0 on a Beige G3 Power Mac. It seems as if the video parms I enter in BootX are ignored. I start out in Mac OS with a resolution of 1152x870, 75 Hz, thousands colors. No matter ...

  1. BootX ignoring video parms?

    I'm using YDL 3.0 on a Beige G3 Power Mac.

    It seems as if the video parms I enter in BootX are ignored. I start out
    in Mac OS with a resolution of 1152x870, 75 Hz, thousands colors. No
    matter what I enter in the kernel args window, when the screen goes
    black, I get a few lines of readable text ending with "arch:exit" and
    then the screen resolution changes down to some very low value just as
    the yellow-colored YDL logo shows up and the image turns into lots of
    horizontal dashes, unreadable.

    The problem is that I'm using a Sun/Sony monitor (GDM-20D10) that cannot
    support the low resolution, so it loses video synch and I can't read the
    screen. A different monitor (that can handle the lower res and rates)
    works fine, but I can't use it permanently.

    I'm circumventing the problem by adding a "5" to the end of the BootX
    parms to force run level five (so BootX is listening to *some*
    arguments, at least). After all the boot stuff is finished, I get the
    graphical log-in screen and can do "startx"; X and KDE run just fine.
    But I'd still like to be able to read the screen in non-GUI mode.

    I need to stop the boot-time reversion to a low resolution. I've tried

    "video=atyfb:vmode17:cmode16"

    and various substitutions of numbers, but nothing changes.

    I read somewhere that "video=OFfb" would keep the Mac OS parms, but that
    didn't work either.

    Any suggestions appreciated. I'm a Linux newbie, so be gentle.

    thanks, Isaac

  2. Re: BootX ignoring video parms?

    Hi Isaac,

    I had similar problems a while back with my 8500. The format of the
    arguments that worked for me was:

    video=controlfb,vmode:16,cmode:16

    In your case replace controlfb with atyfb.

    Hope this helps.

    Michael

    > I need to stop the boot-time reversion to a low resolution. I've tried
    >
    > "video=atyfb:vmode17:cmode16"
    >
    > and various substitutions of numbers, but nothing changes.
    >
    > I read somewhere that "video=OFfb" would keep the Mac OS parms, but that
    > didn't work either.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated. I'm a Linux newbie, so be gentle.
    >
    > thanks, Isaac

+ Reply to Thread