BootX problems - Powerpc

This is a discussion on BootX problems - Powerpc ; Hello All, I have tried to setup bootX to work on my PC PowerTowerPro, and I am having nothing but problems. I can open bootX and choose linux, at which point the system reboots (ejecting the CDROM with YDL 3, ...

  1. BootX problems

    Hello All,

    I have tried to setup bootX to work on my PC PowerTowerPro, and I am
    having nothing but problems.

    I can open bootX and choose linux, at which point the system reboots
    (ejecting the CDROM with YDL 3, which i would love to know how to
    prevent), and when the kernel tries to load up, it alwasy Kernel
    Panic's. I have no idea what the numbering convention for the devices
    in this machine are...

    I have 1 2GB drive that is all HFS+ (Mac OS 9.1) and another drive (an
    old 2GB compaq) that I would like to use for YDL. For love or money, I
    cant get the system to do anything with this other disk. Sure, it
    "see's" it, but it wont allow me to initialize it or anything.

    I was thinking that if I could get to the part of the setup where the
    partition utility kicks in, I could specify my / dir on this compaq
    drive, but I cant get that far.

    If anyone would care to assit me with this, i would really appreciate
    it. I am neither a seasoned Mac user, nor proficient with linux by any
    stretch of the imagination.

    Thanks for your help,

    NuTs

  2. Re: BootX problems

    In article <3F63BF13.92ACB382@dnsplus.net>,
    Todd Hayward wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have tried to setup bootX to work on my PC PowerTowerPro, and I am
    > having nothing but problems.
    >
    > I can open bootX and choose linux, at which point the system reboots
    > (ejecting the CDROM with YDL 3, which i would love to know how to
    > prevent), and when the kernel tries to load up, it alwasy Kernel
    > Panic's. I have no idea what the numbering convention for the devices
    > in this machine are...
    >
    > I have 1 2GB drive that is all HFS+ (Mac OS 9.1) and another drive (an
    > old 2GB compaq) that I would like to use for YDL. For love or money, I
    > cant get the system to do anything with this other disk. Sure, it
    > "see's" it, but it wont allow me to initialize it or anything.
    >
    > I was thinking that if I could get to the part of the setup where the
    > partition utility kicks in, I could specify my / dir on this compaq
    > drive, but I cant get that far.
    >
    > If anyone would care to assit me with this, i would really appreciate
    > it. I am neither a seasoned Mac user, nor proficient with linux by any
    > stretch of the imagination.
    >
    > Thanks for your help,

    I had the same problem until I downloaded the manual and followed the
    instructions EXACTLY. My problem was I did not remove the image from the
    sys folder and the boot software from the kernel folder.

    Al

    --
    There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

  3. Re: BootX problems

    "Al" wrote in message
    > In article <3F63BF13.92ACB382@dnsplus.net>,
    > Todd Hayward wrote:
    >
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I have tried to setup bootX to work on my PC PowerTowerPro, and I am
    > > having nothing but problems.
    > >
    > > I can open bootX and choose linux, at which point the system reboots
    > > (ejecting the CDROM with YDL 3, which i would love to know how to
    > > prevent), and when the kernel tries to load up, it alwasy Kernel
    > > Panic's. I have no idea what the numbering convention for the devices
    > > in this machine are...
    > >
    > > I have 1 2GB drive that is all HFS+ (Mac OS 9.1) and another drive (an
    > > old 2GB compaq) that I would like to use for YDL. For love or money, I
    > > cant get the system to do anything with this other disk. Sure, it
    > > "see's" it, but it wont allow me to initialize it or anything.
    > >
    > > I was thinking that if I could get to the part of the setup where the
    > > partition utility kicks in, I could specify my / dir on this compaq
    > > drive, but I cant get that far.
    > >
    > > If anyone would care to assit me with this, i would really appreciate
    > > it. I am neither a seasoned Mac user, nor proficient with linux by any
    > > stretch of the imagination.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help,

    > I had the same problem until I downloaded the manual and followed the
    > instructions EXACTLY. My problem was I did not remove the image from the
    > sys folder and the boot software from the kernel folder.
    >
    > Al
    >
    > --
    > There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

    Al,

    Thanks for writing, however, we dont have exactly the same problems.

    I am able to get the kernel to load, but it panic's when it cant find a
    volume to mount root to.

    The compaq drive that I am trying to use for this purpose is invisible to
    the Mac OS, and as such I cannot do anything with it.
    The loader see's the drive, but there are capacity read errors (probably
    because it doesnt know what to do with the partition that is there. I want
    to kill the partition that is on the second (compaq) drive and prep it for
    use with YDL. However, I seem to be unable to do this from within OS9.1.

    As I mentioned, I was hoping that I would be able to get to the partitioning
    utility within YDL, but I have not been allowed to get that far.

    Given that this is where I am at, any useful information about what I should
    do next is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    NuTs

  4. Re: BootX problems

    In article ,
    "NuT CrAcKeR" wrote:

    > Thanks for writing, however, we dont have exactly the same problems.
    >
    > I am able to get the kernel to load, but it panic's when it cant find a
    > volume to mount root to.
    >
    > The compaq drive that I am trying to use for this purpose is invisible to
    > the Mac OS, and as such I cannot do anything with it.
    > The loader see's the drive, but there are capacity read errors (probably
    > because it doesnt know what to do with the partition that is there. I want
    > to kill the partition that is on the second (compaq) drive and prep it for
    > use with YDL. However, I seem to be unable to do this from within OS9.1.
    >
    > As I mentioned, I was hoping that I would be able to get to the partitioning
    > utility within YDL, but I have not been allowed to get that far.
    >
    > Given that this is where I am at, any useful information about what I should
    > do next is greatly appreciated.

    As I keep telling my son, who uses Linux almost exclusively, that it is
    not ready for prime time. I'd like to abandon Windoz entirely, but the
    amount of software available for it is incredible compared to either Mac
    or Linux.

    Al

    --
    There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

  5. Re: BootX problems

    "Al" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "NuT CrAcKeR" wrote:
    >

    > > Thanks for writing, however, we dont have exactly the same problems.
    > >
    > > I am able to get the kernel to load, but it panic's when it cant find a
    > > volume to mount root to.
    > >
    > > The compaq drive that I am trying to use for this purpose is invisible

    > > the Mac OS, and as such I cannot do anything with it.
    > > The loader see's the drive, but there are capacity read errors (probably
    > > because it doesnt know what to do with the partition that is there. I

    want
    > > to kill the partition that is on the second (compaq) drive and prep it

    for
    > > use with YDL. However, I seem to be unable to do this from within OS9.1.
    > >
    > > As I mentioned, I was hoping that I would be able to get to the

    partitioning
    > > utility within YDL, but I have not been allowed to get that far.
    > >
    > > Given that this is where I am at, any useful information about what I

    should
    > > do next is greatly appreciated.
    > >

    > As I keep telling my son, who uses Linux almost exclusively, that it is
    > not ready for prime time. I'd like to abandon Windoz entirely, but the
    > amount of software available for it is incredible compared to either Mac
    > or Linux.

    that is the same thing I tell anyone that will listen, when asked whether I
    think linux will replace windows on the desktop.

    > Al
    >
    > --
    > There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......

  6. Re: BootX problems

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:17:56 +0000, NuT CrAcKeR wrote:

    > I am able to get the kernel to load, but it panic's when it cant find a
    > volume to mount root to.
    >
    > The compaq drive that I am trying to use for this purpose is invisible to
    > the Mac OS, and as such I cannot do anything with it.
    > The loader see's the drive, but there are capacity read errors (probably
    > because it doesnt know what to do with the partition that is there. I want
    > to kill the partition that is on the second (compaq) drive and prep it for
    > use with YDL. However, I seem to be unable to do this from within OS9.1.
    >
    > As I mentioned, I was hoping that I would be able to get to the partitioning
    > utility within YDL, but I have not been allowed to get that far.
    >
    > Given that this is where I am at, any useful information about what I should
    > do next is greatly appreciated.

    Does it load the installer? Is the ramdisk image OK? Is the Compaq drive
    on the same controller? Have you tried pdisk for MacOS to see the drive?

    Just some ideas from fuzzy memory of problems installer YDL and Mandrake.

    I must say Debian has great hardware support "out of the box"

    Nick

+ Reply to Thread