Linux on eMac?? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Linux on eMac?? - Powerpc ; Is it possible to install Linux on an eMac and run X?? I ran Linux on my old PC, but now I have switched over to an eMac and I still want to be able to use Linux now and ...

  1. Linux on eMac??

    Is it possible to install Linux on an eMac and run X?? I ran Linux on
    my old PC, but now I have switched over to an eMac and I still want to
    be able to use Linux now and then. I tried Yellow Dog... I couldn't
    use the graphical install -- when X would try start, I would just get
    a blank screen and the computer would hang there. I could install it
    in text mode, but then when I rebooted, the kernel would load, X would
    try and start and again the computer screen went blank and just froze.
    I tried Mandrake. Same problem when I tried to use the graphic
    install. Text install starts, but I can't even get past language
    selection, the very first window! No matter what language I choose, I
    just get an error box saying "keymap ioctl failed (0 1 6912) invalid
    argument". Then I have to accept the licence again, then choose
    language again, I get the error message again, etc. etc. ad infinitum.
    Are there any eMac owners out there who have succesfully installed a
    distribution of Linux? Which is recommended?? Will X ever work on
    this machine?

  2. Re: Linux on eMac??

    Tyler Cottenie wrote:

    > Are there any eMac owners out there who have succesfully installed a
    > distribution of Linux? Which is recommended?? Will X ever work on
    > this machine?

    Why not just run OS X, then install Fink and X11?
    There are loads of apps available now, and more being added all the
    time.
    See:
    http://fink.sourceforge.net/index.php
    Alan.
    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
    http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

+ Reply to Thread