Linux on Apple LCIII - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Linux on Apple LCIII - Powerpc ; Hello, I am new to Linux and would like to use an Apple LCIII as a hardware firewall on a small home network. The other computers on this network are two Windows PC's and a Mac, at the moment they ...

  1. Linux on Apple LCIII

    Hello,

    I am new to Linux and would like to use an Apple LCIII as a hardware
    firewall on a small home network. The other computers on this network are
    two Windows PC's and a Mac, at the moment they share an internet connection
    via one of the PC's.
    I have been told that it is possible to run linux configured as a firewall
    on on of these older Macs.
    If anyone has done this or can recommend a forum or web site where I can
    read further, I will be very grateful.

    Regards

    Mark C.

  2. Re: Linux on Apple LCIII

    Mohd PB wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to Linux and would like to use an Apple LCIII as a hardware
    > firewall on a small home network. The other computers on this network are
    > two Windows PC's and a Mac, at the moment they share an internet
    > connection via one of the PC's.
    > I have been told that it is possible to run linux configured as a firewall
    > on on of these older Macs.
    > If anyone has done this or can recommend a forum or web site where I can
    > read further, I will be very grateful.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Mark C.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=linux...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    http://www.literatureclassics.com/68...sp?FORUM_ID=22

    http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/docs/d...8k-install.php

  3. Re: Linux on Apple LCIII

    This mac is really not a PPC. It's an m68k mac. One other problem with
    the LCIII is
    that you really only have one NIC available on the system: there's only
    one available slot for a NIC.You'd probably want a mac that had more
    than NIC available: one for the internet connection and the other to go
    to a hub, router, or whatever.

    Linux is Linux. Once you have the system up and running, just read the
    Linux HOWTO's for making a firewall. You'll probably have to compile a
    custom kernel so the box can act as a router.

    Hank

  4. Re: Linux on Apple LCIII

    In article ,
    "Mohd PB" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to Linux and would like to use an Apple LCIII as a hardware
    > firewall on a small home network. The other computers on this network are
    > two Windows PC's and a Mac, at the moment they share an internet connection
    > via one of the PC's.
    > I have been told that it is possible to run linux configured as a firewall
    > on on of these older Macs.
    > If anyone has done this or can recommend a forum or web site where I can
    > read further, I will be very grateful.

    Forget Linux; there's an excellent solution available for Mac OS.

    Pop over to: http://www.sustworks.com/

    and look around for a 68x version of IPNetRouter. I ran it on a IIci for
    quite a while, and was perfectly happy with it. In fact, I still use
    IPNR, but I've moved up to a 7100, because I use the Mac for backups,
    file serving, and a couple of other things. IPNR is actually just a
    setup tool for Open Transport, so the routing function runs quite fast
    even on an older Mac.

    For a true firewall, you'll need a second NIC -- whether you use Linux
    or Mac OS -- and I'm not sure how to manage that with an LC. Two
    Ethernet cards worked in the IIci just fine.

    Isaac

  5. Re: Linux on Apple LCIII

    > In article ,
    > "Mohd PB" wrote:
    >
    > > I am new to Linux and would like to use an Apple LCIII as a hardware
    > > firewall on a small home network. The other computers on this network are
    > > two Windows PC's and a Mac, at the moment they share an internet connection
    > > via one of the PC's.
    > > I have been told that it is possible to run linux configured as a firewall
    > > on on of these older Macs.
    > > If anyone has done this or can recommend a forum or web site where I can
    > > read further, I will be very grateful.

    You'll need an FPU. Not all LCs have one. Mine doesn't; but I have
    managed to get NetBSD up on it, if that's any use to you. But that was
    as an op system, not as a firewall.

    Good Luck, and as they say, continue this in a 68k group.

    Nikki

+ Reply to Thread