ibook + yellow dog + internet - Powerpc

This is a discussion on ibook + yellow dog + internet - Powerpc ; Hi guys, has any of you managed to get on the internet with yellow dog on an ibook, using either its internal modem or a minivigor128 isdn modem? If so: tell me about it. regards & thanks, Gert Veen...

  1. ibook + yellow dog + internet

    Hi guys,

    has any of you managed to get on the internet with yellow dog on an
    ibook, using either its internal modem or a minivigor128 isdn modem? If
    so: tell me about it.

    regards & thanks,

    Gert Veen

  2. Re: ibook + yellow dog + internet

    Gert Veen writes:

    > has any of you managed to get on the internet with yellow dog on an
    > ibook, using either its internal modem or a minivigor128 isdn modem? If
    > so: tell me about it.

    I have not tried it myself, but I have read that there are drivers
    available at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/ that work for iBook
    internal modems. I did download one version a month ago and tried
    installing it. After doing so I could talk to the modem which is a
    good sign (using YDL 3.0 with kernel 2.4.2-ben10). However, I have
    not been in any situation where I have needed to do this in reality as
    I use my iBook at work.

    --
    Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
    School of Physics and Materials Engineering

  3. Re: ibook + yellow dog + internet

    On 11/9/03 12:01 am, in article m3ekyo8cz1.fsf@harker.spme.monash.edu.au,
    "Stephen Harker" wrote:

    > Gert Veen writes:
    >
    >> has any of you managed to get on the internet with yellow dog on an
    >> ibook, using either its internal modem or a minivigor128 isdn modem? If
    >> so: tell me about it.

    > I have not tried it myself, but I have read that there are drivers
    > available at http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/ that work for iBook
    > internal modems. I did download one version a month ago and tried
    > installing it. After doing so I could talk to the modem which is a
    > good sign (using YDL 3.0 with kernel 2.4.2-ben10). However, I have
    > not been in any situation where I have needed to do this in reality as
    > I use my iBook at work.

    It also depends what ibook you have. If you have the very first white dual
    usb 500 ibook (may2001) then it has a proper modem. This model only has a
    66Mgz bus compared to the 100Mgz that the rest of the ibooks have. Any
    revision after this and you will need drivers as those models only have
    "soft" modems. I have the very first model, and have no trouble using the
    modem when I have to. I normally use the network, but its nice knowing that
    I can use modem in emergency.
    Colin

+ Reply to Thread