Floppy Support with PReP - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Floppy Support with PReP - Powerpc ; Hi, it seems that the support for the floppy controller is broken since kernels > 2.4.19 on my sytem (Motorola PowerStack 300 MHz). dmesg | grep -i floppy says this: Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 2.88M floppy0: Floppy io-port 0x03f2 in ...

  1. Floppy Support with PReP

    Hi,

    it seems that the support for the floppy controller is broken since kernels
    > 2.4.19 on my sytem (Motorola PowerStack 300 MHz).

    dmesg | grep -i floppy says this:
    Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 2.88M
    floppy0: Floppy io-port 0x03f2 in use

    I have tested different types of floppies, but I am sure no 2.88 ones.

    And when I use the fd0 device (fdformat or cat something > /dev/fd0) I get
    just a error message:
    bash: /dev/fd0: No such device or address

    Does anyone know something about this issue? Or does someone has similar
    problems? How can I use the right io-port?

    Regards
    Georg Sauthoff

  2. Re: Floppy Support with PReP

    Hello !

    > it seems that the support for the floppy controller is broken since kernels
    >
    >>2.4.19 on my sytem (Motorola PowerStack 300 MHz).

    > dmesg | grep -i floppy says this:
    > Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 2.88M
    > floppy0: Floppy io-port 0x03f2 in use

    I have the same problem since 2.4.21-pre5 up to release 2.4.21
    from source.mvista.com.
    2.4.21-pre4 works fine with floppy.

    The io-port 0x03f2 is reserved by rtc (or something like
    that, i don't remember exactly the logs) before the fd driver.

    Gilles

  3. Re: Floppy Support with PReP

    Gilles Ménigot wrote:

    >> it seems that the support for the floppy controller is broken since
    >>>2.4.19 on my sytem (Motorola PowerStack 300 MHz).

    >> dmesg | grep -i floppy says this:
    >> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 2.88M
    >> floppy0: Floppy io-port 0x03f2 in use

    > I have the same problem since 2.4.21-pre5 up to release 2.4.21
    > from source.mvista.com.
    > 2.4.21-pre4 works fine with floppy.

    I am using 2.4.23-pre3 from kernel.org. Do you use the linuxppc-2.4 tree
    from mvista?

    > The io-port 0x03f2 is reserved by rtc (or something like
    > that, i don't remember exactly the logs) before the fd driver.

    Hm, I did a cat /proc/ioports and 0x03f2 looked unused.

    Regards
    Georg Sauthoff

+ Reply to Thread