Mac Equivalent of Rawrite/DD? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Mac Equivalent of Rawrite/DD? - Powerpc ; I'm a dual-platform guy (mostly PC with a Mac), though I don't have any Macs set up right now. And I have a problem that I'm hoping one of y'all can help me with. Someone in my MUG (who lives ...

  1. Mac Equivalent of Rawrite/DD?

    I'm a dual-platform guy (mostly PC with a Mac), though I don't have any
    Macs set up right now. And I have a problem that I'm hoping one of y'all
    can help me with.

    Someone in my MUG (who lives way across town) was having some problems,
    and I posted her problems to the Mac-talk list. Someone on the list
    offered to send her some software via me to help her out. I have the
    software now; some is on CD, the rest is on 1.4MB floppies.

    Since my Macs are all down, I can't create Disk Copy Images and arrange to
    transfer them by FTP. I experimented with some of the different PC
    utilities I have (HFV Explorer and TransMac, as well as WinImage and
    RAWREAD), and all 4 test images of the floppy I tried were identical.

    I have looked in "Mac OS X Unleashed", and couldn't find an equivalent of
    the Linux "DD" command. I did a Google search and found a comment that
    there was a Mac equivalent of Rawrite, but no name was given for the
    utility and there was no URL to try. I found an announcement of an early
    Mac Linux that referred to a file called rawrite.bin.hqx, but neither
    AlltheWeb's FTP search nor turned it up.

    Knowing of the resource fork issues, I'm skeptical that a regular Mac
    utility could reconstitute a disk image generated by rawread. Or am I
    wrong?

    Is there a utility that will read a plain disk image (no resource fork)
    and reconstitute a floppy on a Mac? Then I can arrange an FTP transfer of
    these files and save a long drive. It'd be best if I could get my hands on
    a utility that runs in the classic Mac OS (pre-OS X), but if there's a way
    to do it in Mac OS X and that's the only means available, at least we'd
    have something that works. There's another member of the MUG in her area
    who I'd be sending the files to; he runs a G4 iMac under OS X, and I don't
    know if he has an external floppy drive or not--if he does, an OS X option
    would work.

    Thanks for your help!

    --
    I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater

  2. Re: Mac Equivalent of Rawrite/DD?

    > I have looked in "Mac OS X Unleashed", and couldn't find an equivalent of
    > the Linux "DD" command.

    On Mac OS X 10.2.6 I have all the "UNIX tools" available when I start a
    shell (Apps -> Utilities -> Terminal.app). IIRC I didn't install them in
    a seperate package but they came with some 10.2.x Update.

    Under /dev/ you have access to all the devices, though they are listed
    there in a *BSDish manner, so a dd if=image of=/dev/
    should be possible.
    Since I only have an iBook with a CDROM I can't mount a floppy and check
    the command 'mount' for the exact device.

    HTH

    -Thomas

+ Reply to Thread