zip ?? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on zip ?? - Powerpc ; hi, I would like to know how to mount a zip drive and if i can read zip disks from pc (windows xp) ? Michel thanks in advance for any help...

  1. zip ??

    hi,
    I would like to know how to mount a zip drive
    and if i can read zip disks
    from pc (windows xp) ?

    Michel
    thanks in advance for any help

  2. Re: zip ??

    "michel lambert" writes:

    > I would like to know how to mount a zip drive
    > and if i can read zip disks
    > from pc (windows xp) ?

    I regularly do so with a SCSI zip drive on an old 7600, these are
    quite easy on a machine with a SCSI bus. I presume later models were
    USB, in which case they use the SCSI emulation to appear as SCSI
    devices.

    After you have attached the device do a `cat /proc/scsi/scsi' to find
    what devices the machine thinks it has. You need to create a mount
    point such as /mnt/zip (`sudo mkdir /mnt/zip'). If the device is
    /dev/sca then you need to do a command such as
    `mount -t vfat /dev/sca1 /mnt/zip'.
    Look at the man page for mount for more information.

    In this case I have assumed that the filesystem is vfat (maybe not
    correct for XP) and that the filesystem is on the first partition of
    the disk. The latter assumption is probably not correct. To check
    which partition use `sudo pdisk --list /dev/sda' to list the
    partitions. In the case of a hfs formatted disk there are a whole
    bunch of Apple partitions for drivers and such like before the real
    data partition. If you do this a lot then you should consider adding
    an entry to /etc/fstab to simplify the procedure.

    --
    Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
    School of Physics and Materials Engineering

+ Reply to Thread