Filesystem problem with YD - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Filesystem problem with YD - Powerpc ; I've got a very old G4 with two 20GB drives running Yellow Dog 3.0 I keep getting hda or hdb lost interrupt errors and the only way out is to yank out the power cable from the back, not a ...

  1. Filesystem problem with YD

    I've got a very old G4 with two 20GB drives running Yellow Dog 3.0

    I keep getting hda or hdb lost interrupt errors and the only way out is to
    yank out the power cable from the back, not a 21st century solution
    The drives are known to be good, I've pulled them out and tested them on
    other systems a few times over the last few months. Which leaves me thinking
    it's the system's IDE controller (
    There's nowt in the log files, anyone got any ideas what causes it ?

    What disk checking / repair tools exist apart from fsck (which doesn't pick
    up anything) ? The filesystems are a mix of ext2 and ext3.
    Is there a tool to migrate a filesystem from ext2 to ext3 or is it backup
    time ?

    I need all the space I can get so I'm afraid mirroring these drives isn't an
    option

  2. Re: Filesystem problem with YD

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:42:06 +0100,
    Draxen , in
    <3f54ac2e$0$238$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk> wrote:

    +> Is there a tool to migrate a filesystem from ext2 to ext3 or is it backup
    +> time ?

    man tune2fs, in particular the -j option, which adds a journal to an
    ext2 filesystem.

    I would still do a back up on general principles, tho.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Filesystem problem with YD

    In article <3f54ac2e$0$238$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk>, Draxen wrote:
    > I've got a very old G4 with two 20GB drives running Yellow Dog 3.0
    >
    > I keep getting hda or hdb lost interrupt errors and the only way out is to
    > yank out the power cable from the back, not a 21st century solution
    > The drives are known to be good, I've pulled them out and tested them on
    > other systems a few times over the last few months. Which leaves me thinking
    > it's the system's IDE controller (

    _AND_ the IDE cable?

    An the latter is easy to replace.

+ Reply to Thread