Debian/Linux on an iBook? Problems? Other laptops?? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Debian/Linux on an iBook? Problems? Other laptops?? - Powerpc ; Hi guys I'm thinking about getting a laptop, and I suppose it's gonna be an iBook. Has anyone had experiences using Debian on an iBook? Is it better to use another distro? I've used YDL and LinuxPPC as well, but ...

  1. Debian/Linux on an iBook? Problems? Other laptops??

    Hi guys

    I'm thinking about getting a laptop, and I suppose it's gonna be an
    iBook. Has anyone had experiences using Debian on an iBook? Is it
    better to use another distro? I've used YDL and LinuxPPC as well, but
    I like Debian best (and am real happy to support it).

    Or (he whispers) would it be better to get a PC laptop?

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Nikki

  2. Re: Debian/Linux on an iBook? Problems? Other laptops??

    Nikki wrote:

    > Hi guys

    hi

    > I'm thinking about getting a laptop, and I suppose it's gonna be an
    > iBook. Has anyone had experiences using Debian on an iBook? Is it

    yes, all works fine

    > better to use another distro? I've used YDL and LinuxPPC as well, but

    no way, only debian

    > I like Debian best (and am real happy to support it).>
    > Or (he whispers) would it be better to get a PC laptop?

    no, ride a new ppc !

    > Any suggestions?

    Get an iBook with Debian/GNU Linux

  3. Re: Debian/Linux on an iBook? Problems? Other laptops??

    > I'm thinking about getting a laptop, and I suppose it's gonna be an
    > iBook. Has anyone had experiences using Debian on an iBook? Is it
    > better to use another distro? I've used YDL and LinuxPPC as well, but
    > I like Debian best (and am real happy to support it).

    I have only had Debian/sid on this iBook 700Mhz/386MB 2.4.21-benh2
    (actually my first Debian /ever/ since I didn't have CD-Rs the weekend I
    got the iBook so I couldn't burn and install Mandrake 9.1 as I planed,
    yet I found an "install Debian via OpenFirmware without any physical
    media" guide and went for it -by now my desktop is a Debian to) and I
    think everything works as I expected it, actually better than expected -
    the far coolest thing being having "Linux" on vtty7 and OS X via MOL
    (MacOnLinux) and vtty8.

    > Or (he whispers) would it be better to get a PC laptop?

    I don't think so,I explicity bought this iBook to have a mobile Linux
    and didn't regret it. The G3 runs up to 4,5 hrs (using laptop-mode,
    cpudynd, a tmpfs, screendimming etc), sleeping works absolutely flawless
    (get apm, pbbutton) - far better than the APM/ACPI desaster with i32
    hardware.
    Just recording with the builtin mircophone will have to wait until 2.6

    Plus you have the privilige to pay the far cooler Apple Tax instead of
    the Mircosoft tax ;-).

    > Any suggestions?

    Buy it! Also linux.debian.ports.powerpc (requires registration for
    writeaccess) or the corresponding mailinglist might be of interst, or
    #debianppc on irc.debian.org.

    -Thomas

  4. Re: Debian/Linux on an iBook? Problems? Other laptops??

    In article , Thomas Otto
    wrote:

    > > I'm thinking about getting a laptop, and I suppose it's gonna be an
    > > iBook. Has anyone had experiences using Debian on an iBook? Is it
    > > better to use another distro? I've used YDL and LinuxPPC as well, but
    > > I like Debian best (and am real happy to support it).

    > Buy it! Also linux.debian.ports.powerpc (requires registration for
    > writeaccess) or the corresponding mailinglist might be of interst, or
    > #debianppc on irc.debian.org.
    >
    > -Thomas

    Thanks for the confirmation of the theory! With such enthusiastic
    encouragement, maybe I should I start a collection?! Just joking...

    Nikki

+ Reply to Thread