maconlinux? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on maconlinux? - Powerpc ; I am considering installing linux along with macos x on my ibook 500. Does anybody know this software: http://www.maconlinux.org/ ? Does it work ok? And what about installation? Knottulf...

  1. maconlinux?

    I am considering installing linux along with macos x on my ibook 500.
    Does anybody know this software:

    http://www.maconlinux.org/ ? Does it work ok?
    And what about installation?

    Knottulf

  2. Re: maconlinux?

    thanx!

    Do you have to reformat the harddisk into two partitions to install mol?

    Knottulf

  3. Re: maconlinux?

    H Birkeland a écrit:
    > thanx!
    >
    > Do you have to reformat the harddisk into two partitions to install mol?

    No, there are two ways for installing MOL :

    A)
    apt-cache search mol

    apt-get install what_need_mol-to_be_installed

    Don't work everytime...

    B) My way (as described there : http://www.maconlinux.org/dev.html )

    ....To get the initial copy of the source tree, do

    bash$ rsync -avz rsync.penguinppc.org::mol mol-rsync

    To obtain the latest changes:

    bash$ rsync -avz --delete rsync.penguinppc.org::mol mol-rsync

    To build MOL:

    bash$ cd mol-rsync
    bash$ ./autogen.sh
    bash$ ./configure
    bash$ make
    bash$ make libimport
    bash$ make install

    ..../...

    FYI : I'm running an ibook,combo@700 with 384 Mo ram

    And I'can send you my config files if you need.

    Cheers

    --
    NO ePATENTS /NON AUX BREVETS SUR LES LOGICIELS. Voir / see
    http://swpat.ffii.org/

    eric b

  4. Re: maconlinux?

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:07:17 +0200
    H Birkeland wrote:

    > Do you have to reformat the harddisk into two partitions to install
    > mol?

    You will have to re-partition your disk to install Linux. MOL can live
    comfortably in a filesystem in a file - ie dd a 500MB file, hformat it,
    and then boot mol with this file as your Macintosh HardDrive (after
    copying/installing macos to your new filesystem-in-a-file).

    tom

  5. Re: maconlinux?[LONG]

    thankx alot. I see there is much for me to investigate before starting
    the operation.

    I heard MOL is quite slow when running a full distro like mandrake
    together with osx - on an ibook like my 500 mhz.

    Is the linux or osx slowed down by running inside mol if I only boot one
    of the oses? (maybe i don’t understand how it works... - i am a newbie
    to linux)

    I would appriciate very much to be able to contact you for questions
    when I try this out! My private address is hbirk at broadpark dot no.

    thankx again!

    Hallvard /knottulf

  6. Re: maconlinux?[LONG]

    Bachard,

    H Birkeland a écrit:
    > thankx alot. I see there is much for me to investigate before starting
    > the operation.

    Take your time, read a lot of documentation, write the most important if
    necessary, and after it will be more more easy for you. That's what I've
    done.

    > I heard MOL is quite slow when running a full distro like mandrake
    > together with osx - on an ibook like my 500 mhz.

    Whith a lot of ram, no matter. I think it will be the same with any
    other distribution, it's not a "Mandrake case". The most important is
    the configuration (kernel e.g.), not the distibution.

    FYI : My disribution is Debian (sid)

    > Is the linux or osx slowed down by running inside mol if I only boot one
    > of the oses? (maybe i don’t understand how it works... - i am a newbie
    > to linux)

    MOL is a bit slowed down by running MOL, yes, but nothing significant
    with my combo@700 (running Debian sid).And IMHO, they are not much
    differences between an ibook 500 and a 700, in terms of speed. The most
    important is the FSB, and they both have a 100MHz one.

    BTW : Last time, I've forgotten MOL was started when I closed my ibook.
    Before, I didn't know if MOL can support...All was OK when I open the
    lid again :-)

    > I would appriciate very much to be able to contact you for questions
    > when I try this out!

    If I can help you, it'll be with pleasure.

    >My private address is hbirk at broadpark dot no.

    It's all right, mine is eric dot bachard at free dot fr

    > thankx again!

    No problem. Have fun !

    --
    NO ePATENTS / NON AUX BREVETS SUR LES LOGICIELS. Voir/See
    http://swpat.ffii.org/

    eric b

+ Reply to Thread