Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet" - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet" - Powerpc ; On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:18:54 -0500, Griff Miller II wrote: > > What I'm going to try next is cdrdao . But I'll have to re-extract a lot > of data since .inf and separate .wav files are not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

  1. Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:18:54 -0500, Griff Miller II
    wrote:
    >
    > What I'm going to try next is cdrdao . But I'll have to re-extract a lot
    > of data since .inf and separate .wav files are not what cdrdao seem to
    > want. Hey, does


    I haven't used cdrdao to write audio files, but from reading the man page
    it looks like you can use .wav files with cdrdao. You can use the read-toc
    command to get a table of contents file that you should give you the cue
    sheet information that yoiu need.

    I haven't tried it. But it's worth giving it a shot so you don't have
    to re-extract.

    Isaac

  2. Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

    Isaac wrote:
    >
    > I haven't used cdrdao to write audio files, but from reading the man page
    > it looks like you can use .wav files with cdrdao. You can use the read-toc
    > command to get a table of contents file that you should give you the cue
    > sheet information that yoiu need.
    >
    > I haven't tried it. But it's worth giving it a shot so you don't have
    > to re-extract.


    That's an interesting idea, but I get the feeling that while cdrdao will
    process .wav files, it wants it all in one big .wav file. A read-toc
    and subsequent perusal of the toc-file seem to support this, as each
    entry in the toc-file calls out the same .wav file, with offsets into
    it for each song on the CD .

    I suppose I could hand-edit the toc-file, but it's going to be easier just
    to re-extract.

    So I tried to extract with this command:

    cdrdao read-cd -v2 --paranoia-mode 3 --device 0,4,0

    ....but it complains "ERROR: Missing toc-file." Eh? I thought
    read-cd was supposed to create the toc-file:

    read-cd
    Copies all tracks of the inserted CD to an image file and cre-
    ates a corresponding toc-file. The name of the image file
    defaults to "data.bin" if no --datafile option is given.

    Griff


  3. Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:35:00 -0500, Griff Miller II
    wrote:
    > Isaac wrote:
    >>
    >> I haven't used cdrdao to write audio files, but from reading the man page
    >> it looks like you can use .wav files with cdrdao. You can use the read-toc
    >> command to get a table of contents file that you should give you the cue
    >> sheet information that yoiu need.
    >>
    >> I haven't tried it. But it's worth giving it a shot so you don't have
    >> to re-extract.

    >
    > That's an interesting idea, but I get the feeling that while cdrdao will
    > process .wav files, it wants it all in one big .wav file. A read-toc
    > and subsequent perusal of the toc-file seem to support this, as each
    > entry in the toc-file calls out the same .wav file, with offsets into
    > it for each song on the CD .


    Okay. Perhaps you're right.
    >
    > I suppose I could hand-edit the toc-file, but it's going to be easier just
    > to re-extract.
    >
    > So I tried to extract with this command:
    >
    > cdrdao read-cd -v2 --paranoia-mode 3 --device 0,4,0
    >
    > ...but it complains "ERROR: Missing toc-file." Eh? I thought
    > read-cd was supposed to create the toc-file:


    Perhaps you are supposed to specify the name of the toc-file. What file names
    are you expecting your datafile and toc-file to have based on your command
    line?

    Isaac

  4. Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

    Have you tried the following from cdrecord (in the Examples section)?

    To copy an audio CD in the most accurate way, first run

    cdda2wav -v255 -D2,0 -B -Owav

    and then run

    cdrecord -v dev=2,0 -dao -useinfo *.wav

    James
    --
    Consulting Minister for Consultants, DNRC
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow
    isn't looking good, either.
    I am BOFH. Resistance is futile. Your network will be assimilated.

  5. Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

    Isaac wrote:
    >
    > Perhaps you are supposed to specify the name of the toc-file.


    Seems reasonable. Indeed, the error message says I should have
    this usage:

    Usage: cdrdao read-cd [options] toc-file

    But see below.

    > What file names
    > are you expecting your datafile and toc-file to have based on your command
    > line?


    Well, I'm letting the datafile be the default name ('data.bin' according
    to the manpage). I tried the above form with 'toc-file' being the name:

    cdrdao read-cd -v2 --paranoia-mode 3 --device 0,4,0 toc-file

    ....and it looked like it was going to work. It read the whole CD, then
    died saying that 'toc-file' didn't exist or something like that.

    Wait! I just tried it again, and it worked. It must be because I upgraded from
    1.1.5 to 1.1.7 .

    OK, so that hurdle is eliminated.

    However, when I tried to burn the CD with cdrdao, it froze in a similar
    fashion to cdrecord -dao . So I guess I'm stuck with a drive that says
    it works in DAO mode, but really doesn't. That, or it needs some
    special treatment by the cd-writing program (I seem to remember being able
    to do DAO with Toast on MacOS - I know I must have, because I made some
    audio disks with less than 2 second gaps - 0 second, even - in between
    songs) .

    Thanks for all your help.

    Griff


  6. Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > Have you tried the following from cdrecord (in the Examples section)?
    >
    > To copy an audio CD in the most accurate way, first run
    >
    > cdda2wav -v255 -D2,0 -B -Owav
    >
    > and then run
    >
    > cdrecord -v dev=2,0 -dao -useinfo *.wav


    Yes, that's the same example I was working from. It only works
    for me if I leave out the -dao . Which is less than perfect for
    some audio CD's .

    Thanks!

    Griff


  7. Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:13:11 -0500,
    Griff Miller II , in
    wrote:
    +> I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    +> > Have you tried the following from cdrecord (in the Examples section)?
    +> >
    +> > To copy an audio CD in the most accurate way, first run
    +> >
    +> > cdda2wav -v255 -D2,0 -B -Owav
    +> >
    +> > and then run
    +> >
    +> > cdrecord -v dev=2,0 -dao -useinfo *.wav
    +>
    +> Yes, that's the same example I was working from. It only works
    +> for me if I leave out the -dao . Which is less than perfect for
    +> some audio CD's .

    Understood. My only other suggestions would be to run it cdrecord with
    strace, then when it bombs, dredge thru your syslog and the strace
    dump file. This will cause your machine to lock hard, right?

    If you haven't used strace, take a a peek at it's man page. Good
    stuff. I would use it on your problem like so:

    strace -o cdrecord.trace cdrecord -v dev=x,y,z -dao -useinfo *.wav

    You'll get a dump of what cdrecord is doing in the file
    cdrecord.trace. Ideally, you'll get a hint as to where the failure
    occurs.

    James
    --
    Consulting Minister for Consultants, DNRC
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow
    isn't looking good, either.
    I am BOFH. Resistance is futile. Your network will be assimilated.

  8. Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

    sy_nttvr@gurcragntba.pbz (I R A Darth Aggie) wrote in message news:...
    >
    > Understood. My only other suggestions would be to run it cdrecord with
    > strace, then when it bombs, dredge thru your syslog and the strace
    > dump file.


    That's not a bad idea, though I think what I'll see is that cdrecord will
    have sent a command to the drive, and is simply waiting for it to
    acknowledge. I'll give it a try .

    > This will cause your machine to lock hard, right?


    Eventually. What seems to happen is the SCSI bus freaks out and it gets
    to where you can't do anything with it. Which sort of upsets stuff that
    wants to write to the hard disks.

    > If you haven't used strace, take a a peek at it's man page. Good
    > stuff. I would use it on your problem like so:
    >
    > strace -o cdrecord.trace cdrecord -v dev=x,y,z -dao -useinfo *.wav
    >
    > You'll get a dump of what cdrecord is doing in the file
    > cdrecord.trace. Ideally, you'll get a hint as to where the failure
    > occurs.


    I've used strace before, and truss on Solaris, so I'm all over it.

    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll let you know what I find.

    P.S. I did get a reply from Joerg, wherein he says that my drive
    should support SAO/DAO . I guess that means he's going to take a
    look at it when he has time.

    Griff

  9. Re: Yamaha 6416S cdrecord -dao hangs with "Sending CUE sheet"

    Griff Miller wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion! I'll let you know what I find.


    I didn't have a chance to try the strace yet, but I did try
    a DAO write with the same hardware via Toast 4.1.3 on MacOS 8.6 .
    It worked. So my guess is that it's one of three things:

    1) cdrecord/cdrdao both have some sort of bug.
    2) The drive has a quirk that Toast knows to work
    around, and cdrecord/cdrdao do not.
    3) Some sort of endian problem, since I'm running on PPC .

    Griff


+ Reply to Thread