Availability of Software - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Availability of Software - Powerpc ; I am planning to buy a PowerBook 12" and install Mandrake on it. I am wondering if I can install any Linux software (also for x86) on it or if I have to install special Linux PPC Software which is ...

  1. Availability of Software

    I am planning to buy a PowerBook 12" and install Mandrake on it.

    I am wondering if I can install any Linux software (also for x86) on it
    or if I have to install special Linux PPC Software which is not as common.

    Thanks
    Tomy

  2. Re: Availability of Software

    Thomas Brändle wrote:

    > I am planning to buy a PowerBook 12" and install Mandrake on it.

    What about OS X?

    > I am wondering if I can install any Linux software (also for x86) on it

    Yes, unless the software is ot available as source code.

    > or if I have to install special Linux PPC Software which is not as common.

    Linux/ppc and Linux/x86 software are both as common as people compile
    it.

    Seriously, GNU/Linux distributions for ppc look the same as for x86 and
    come with the same software.

    Most proprietary software is ony available for x86 though.

    --
    Andrew J. Brehm
    Fan of Woody Allen

+ Reply to Thread