Serial ports!?! - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Serial ports!?! - Powerpc ; Does anyone know what the serial ports are labled as under linux? How do I print to a StyleWriter1200 on an apple serial printer port?...

  1. Serial ports!?!

    Does anyone know what the serial ports are labled as under linux? How
    do I print to a StyleWriter1200 on an apple serial printer port?

  2. Re: Serial ports!?!

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:55:12 -0600
    Frank Meyer wrote:

    > Does anyone know what the serial ports are labled as under
    > linux? How
    > do I print to a StyleWriter1200 on an apple serial printer port?

    /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1

    stty stty settings
    depending on distro, there is probably some sorta gui tool
    somewhere.....

  3. Re: Serial ports!?!

    tom wrote:
    > On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:55:12 -0600
    > Frank Meyer wrote:
    >

    >> Does anyone know what the serial ports are labled as under
    >> linux? How
    >>do I print to a StyleWriter1200 on an apple serial printer port?

    > /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1
    >
    > stty > stty settings >
    > depending on distro, there is probably some sorta gui tool
    > somewhere.....

    It still doesn't work... Something somewhere is wrong. I can't get the
    printer to repond under Linux, but it works just fine under mac os.

  4. Re: Serial ports!?!

    On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:35:05 -0600
    Frank Meyer wrote:

    > It still doesn't work... Something somewhere is wrong. I can't get
    > the printer to repond under Linux, but it works just fine under mac
    > os.

    Do you have support for the mac serial ports in the kernel?
    Do you have the proper device files?
    /dev/ttyS1 is the printer port and /dev/ttyS0 is the modem port here -
    at boot time I issue a 'stty 57600 crtscts raw echo the port to talk to an epson stylus pro. I set the other port to 9600
    baud to talk to an old imagewriter. If the port is set correctly, you
    can cat textfile>/dev/ttySx to test the communication. Getting these
    settings correct was the hardest part of setting up a serial printer on
    this oldworld.

    What spooling software are you using? IIRC, cups will let you enter the
    serial parameters into its web based administrative pages when you add
    the printer. Your distro might even have a control center or some other
    graphical thingamajiggy to ease the process...

    linuxprinting.org has a good info base to start from.

    tom

  5. Re: Serial ports!?!

    Frank Meyer wrote in message news:...
    > tom wrote:
    > > On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:55:12 -0600
    >> > depending on distro, there is probably some sorta gui tool

    > > somewhere.....

    gui smooey

    > It still doesn't work... Something somewhere is wrong. I can't get the
    > printer to repond under Linux, but it works just fine under mac os.

    What print server are you using? lpd? If so, what's your
    /etc/printcap file look like?

    william

  6. Re: Serial ports!?!

    In article <5e26a92c.0308171021.39c6bebf@posting.google.com>, W.
    Crowshaw wrote:

    > Frank Meyer wrote in message
    > > tom wrote:
    > > > On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:55:12 -0600
    > > > somewhere.....

    > gui smooey
    >

    > > It still doesn't work... Something somewhere is wrong. I can't get the
    > > printer to repond under Linux, but it works just fine under mac os.

    > What print server are you using? lpd? If so, what's your
    > /etc/printcap file look like?
    >
    > william

    I'm running Debian woody on one PowerPC and YDL2.3 on another, and I've
    never been able to get anything to print either (with printers that
    work fine from the MacOS). I've tried everything, including the
    various instructions off the Linux.print site. Generally if I find a
    reference that includes Mac serial ports it's to say they are useless!

    Don't tell me I have to buy a PC to run Linux!!??

    If there's a solution, can someone post it here. Please!

    Nikki

  7. Re: Serial ports!?!

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

    mostly dated stuff, but still applicable....

    tom

  8. Re: Serial ports!?!

    tom wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:35:05 -0600
    > Frank Meyer wrote:
    >

    >>It still doesn't work... Something somewhere is wrong. I can't get
    >>the printer to repond under Linux, but it works just fine under mac
    >>os.
    >>

    > Do you have support for the mac serial ports in the kernel?
    > Do you have the proper device files?
    > /dev/ttyS1 is the printer port and /dev/ttyS0 is the modem port here -
    > at boot time I issue a 'stty 57600 crtscts raw echo > the port to talk to an epson stylus pro. I set the other port to 9600
    > baud to talk to an old imagewriter. If the port is set correctly, you
    > can cat textfile>/dev/ttySx to test the communication. Getting these
    > settings correct was the hardest part of setting up a serial printer on
    > this oldworld.
    >
    > What spooling software are you using? IIRC, cups will let you enter the
    > serial parameters into its web based administrative pages when you add
    > the printer. Your distro might even have a control center or some other
    > graphical thingamajiggy to ease the process...
    >
    > linuxprinting.org has a good info base to start from.
    >
    > tom

    I do indeed have CUPS and a web based config at localhost:631/admin,
    but every thing I try leaves me staring at a printer that I know works.
    The print jobs always seem to have gone through, though and show up on
    the finished jobs report.

  9. Re: Serial ports!?!

    tom wrote:
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
    >
    > mostly dated stuff, but still applicable....
    >
    > tom

    I wish I could tell you any of this stuff worked... But that was the
    same search that I ran the moment that the printer didn't work. I've
    installed everything that these pages talk about, and I've run every
    command... I don't know what else to do.

  10. Re: Serial ports!?!

    Frank Meyer wrote:
    > tom wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search
    >>

    >> mostly dated stuff, but still applicable....
    >>
    >> tom

    > I wish I could tell you any of this stuff worked... But that was
    > the same search that I ran the moment that the printer didn't work.
    > I've installed everything that these pages talk about, and I've run
    > every command... I don't know what else to do.

    I've just had an odd thought... Just because I can see the ttysx
    ports, does that confirm that a driver was loaded for them? Is there
    are way to get all the drivers for an apple system and recompile the kernel?

  11. Re: Serial ports!?!

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:40:50 -0600
    Frank Meyer wrote:

    > Frank Meyer wrote:

    > I've just had an odd thought... Just because I can see the
    > ttysx
    > ports, does that confirm that a driver was loaded for them? Is there
    > are way to get all the drivers for an apple system and recompile the
    > kernel?

    That's why I've suggested making sure that your kernel supports mac
    serial ports. In this age of USB, I don't know if the distros have this
    compiled in or as a module in their default kernels. If you are familiar
    with recompiling a kernel, there is an option under Macintosh Device
    drivers: CONFIG_MAC_SERIAL that will enable the kernel drivers for these
    ports. If this is enabled, then you can echo or cat plain text to the
    port to verify communication settings.

    tom

  12. Re: Serial ports!?!

    On my Mac G3 beige with an YDL 3.0, I followed this howto :
    http://sdb.suselinux.hu/en/sdb/html/...nt_oldmac.html
    and now everything works fine for my Epson Stylus Photo 700, working with
    CUPS, located at localhost/:631.

    Hope this can help.

    Matthieu

    Frank Meyer a écrit dans le message :
    vjufbe97tm2884@corp.supernews.com...
    > tom wrote:
    > > On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:55:12 -0600
    > > Frank Meyer wrote:
    > >

    > >> Does anyone know what the serial ports are labled as under
    > >> linux? How
    > >>do I print to a StyleWriter1200 on an apple serial printer port?

    > > /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1
    > >
    > > stty > > stty settings > >
    > > depending on distro, there is probably some sorta gui tool
    > > somewhere.....

    > It still doesn't work... Something somewhere is wrong. I can't get the
    > printer to repond under Linux, but it works just fine under mac os.

+ Reply to Thread