In article , Alex
wrote:

> Hi, all.
> I got a PowerBook5300cs box occasionally two years ago, and then I
> install MAC7.5.5 on it.
> But after that, there is nothing I could do to it.
> Anyone can give some help about installing MKlinux or other forms'
> linuxes on it without CDROM drive byhand?
> Maybe I can find some utilities for mac to do things like partitioning
> disk, making filesystem, installing boot sector, compiling kernel etc..
> But I know nothing about such things on Macintosh.
> Any suggestion is welcome.

Hi Alex

Sorry I don't know anything about Powerbooks, but I have installed
Debian 2.1 on an SE/30 without a CD-ROM, running 7.5.5. I suspect you
are going to need some magic bootprompt entry [!] but there are plenty
of HowTo files around.

Go to the Debian site and do some reading for the architecture. ON my
m68k SE/30 I found Debian 3 (woody) and 2.2 (potato) wouldn't work but
the older 2.1 (slink) goes in easy. I have use two different methods:

1) viaFTP - it's simple to run pppconfig as soon as the base install is
done (from an hfs partition on the same disk as the a/ux), and thence a
simple pon will connect you with Debian sites/mirrors. This method is
REALLLLLLYYYYY slow (days!) because it's hard for the Mac to keep up
and it loses the connection (though it will pick up a part-d/loaded
file where it left off). BTW I was using apt-get and not dselect.

2) via the MacOS partition - this is my preferred option, though some
understanding of the Debian install may be necessary to making sense of
this. Save this post and refer back to it!

these are the steps:

Use Apple HD SC to partition the drive, using the custom option. I
found that a Mac (hfs or standard) partition of around 50 MB was
necessary. Then twice your RAM size for a/ux swap, and the rest for
root; I had about 125MB. N.B. I wasn't attempting to run X on such a
slow Mac, and wanted only emacs, gcc and postgresql and a few tiddlers.

Copy the base_2.1 and macinstall.hqx to the Mac partition (actually it
can be easier to unstuff the macinstall elsewhere, and copy the 'mac'
folder). Make a folder called debian on your top level and pop the mac
folder inside that.

Follow the (full-length) install guide here...

That gets you started. Once your base system is running, make your
MacOS partition mountable (mkdir and fstab etc). I called my partition
/mnt/mac

Next you want to plan your (somewhat limited) package. In the 'main'
directory on the mirror you'll find a file called 'packages'. What you
need to do is use that to plan dependencies (and suggestions if you
have the space) for the stuff you want. Then (in BBEdit) recompile
your own (cut-down) packages file, very very carefully, containing only
what you're going to copy to the MacOS partition, and mimicking the
layout of the original exactly (I mean the single space between entries
and the space at the end). Save As that file in BBEdit with options:
BBEdit, none, Unix. So you will have a file which Debian will think is
the real thing. Copy the various packages (keeping the directory
structure identical: dists/slink/main/binary-etc...) you'll need, to
the MacOS hfs partition. Boot into Debian.

as root, type: dselect
choose method 1 apt, and enter the source as

file:/mnt/mac/

[don't try to launch that, Eudora is fantasizing!] and then

dists/slink/main/binary-m68k/ [or whatever that directory is called]

select No - for further sources

Then run 2 update (in dselect). If your package file isn't absolutely
perfect this won't work. If you've slipped up, this is where you go
back to fix it and do all this again!

If all is well, use the system of your choice to install the packages,
either apt-get install [filename_version.deb]
or the more complex dselect (which lectures you on depencies).

N.B. if you find you've missed a dependency, you can always go back and
add it (to the directory on the MacOS partition), and amend the package
file (perfectly!) again. Naturally you have to go through the entire
process from "as root, type..." (to use update to get your added
package on the available list).

When all has gone right and the files are set up, go on to Configure
(in dselect) and finally pick the option to clear unwanted files (the
original filename_version.debs).

This has worked for me, so it's worth a try.

incidentally my 'magic' boot phrase was (mostly) already in Penguin 17
defaults. I changed font size from 8x8 to 8x16 for the tiny SE screen.
And naturally you'll have to change root=/dev/ram to root=/dev/sda5 (or
whatever) after installation.

Simple! once you know how!

I hope I haven't slipped up in this HowTo. I too will save it to
check. Watch this space for addenda and corrigenda.

Good Luck to all who sail in her...

Nikki