Linux on RS 6000 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Linux on RS 6000 - Powerpc ; Hi everbody ! I have recently become owner of 2 pcs of RS 6000 43P-150 machines with GXT 3000P graphics adapters in i have tried to install Mandrake 9.1 on them but linux seems to have problems with handling that ...

  1. Linux on RS 6000

    Hi everbody !

    I have recently become owner of 2 pcs of RS 6000 43P-150
    machines with GXT 3000P graphics adapters in i have tried to
    install Mandrake 9.1 on them but linux seems to have problems
    with handling that graphics adapter !
    Does anybody know how to get it to work ? video swithes
    when installing etc. I get 2 separete text screens on the monitor
    at the same time when i tries to install, none of them readable.

    Thanks Kjell

  2. Re: Linux on RS 6000

    Kjell Andersson wrote:
    > Hi everbody !
    >
    > I have recently become owner of 2 pcs of RS 6000 43P-150
    > machines with GXT 3000P graphics adapters in i have tried to
    > install Mandrake 9.1 on them but linux seems to have problems
    > with handling that graphics adapter !
    > Does anybody know how to get it to work ? video swithes
    > when installing etc. I get 2 separete text screens on the monitor
    > at the same time when i tries to install, none of them readable.
    >
    > Thanks Kjell

    Hi:

    If the RS6000 is anything like an Old World clone for install, you'll
    need to aim low at first and try for the framebuffer mode at 640 x 480
    with 15 or 16 bit color, at 60-something MHz (on my monitor they magic
    number was 67, 60 didn't work) in order to get unaccelerated X going . .
    .. then you can start tweaking XF86Config. You need to check to confirm
    the applicable driver xxxxx.o file is in modules/drivers (I think that's
    /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers, but that's from memory) - I found that
    XF86Config was trying to hand off to an imstt.o file in that directory,
    a file which didn't exist ! Depending on resolution, X either failed
    totally, or succeeded with symptoms like you describe.

    I copied the driver file in by hand and modified an XF86Config file from
    an old backup to include the explicit BusID dmesg reported, and things
    went much better. All that said, I think I remember reading that the
    Mandrake PPC port was mainly done on an RS6K, so you might google around
    to get the porting guy's name (I think it was Stas something, but that's
    also from memory) and just ask him by email.

    Good luck,

    D.

+ Reply to Thread