Hello !

My fanpage about my Performa 5200, a working gift from garbage
http://www.hemmerling.com/html/en/apple.html
, but the machine has no Ethernet card yet!!!!!

Now I would like to install Linux on that machine, I collected a few links
http://www.hemmerling.com/html/en/network.html
in the special PPC section

So which sort of cards IS compatible to the NuBus kernel

http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/#support
tells me compatiblity of

# MACE Ethernet Adapter
# Preliminary support for NuBus cards (including PDS and ComSlot cards
on Performa)
# 8390 and SMC9194 based Ethernet cards

So if I should by at eBay ( eBay.DE, as I am german), what cards should
I ignore, and which are compatible ?

What shall I ask the owner about the scripts on the chipsets on the card
( assuming that he does not run my Linux) ?

According to this list above, are LC-PDS ethernet cards supported at all ?

If I buy an ethernet card which does not need its own MacOS drivers but
which can be used with the drivers of MacOS 7.5.5 , is there best chance
of compatibility ?

So I ask you "might these card from ebay auctions be compatible with
linux ? And if so, why, so that I can make my own decisions with future
auctions !

Some US auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4601

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2&category=176

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=25436

some german auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2895&item=2744
528673
(schnäppchen, das wäre wohl was gewesen)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2895&item=2744
758371

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2895&item=2745
076488

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...2895&item=2744
710957
but the owner tells me that the major chip on the card is named

"smsc
LAN91C96
E0030-AR64-AIC
8H23691-6"

and 91c96 is not "9194", and it needs its "own" Mac drivers.

Sincerely
Rolf

--
/ / / Alone on the data highway...
/ / like on an allee in Hannover-Herrenhausen