Mac vs. PC choice for college. - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Mac vs. PC choice for college. - Powerpc ; I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before going to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers: 17" powerbook 1ghz 14.1" IBM t40 I can't decide which computer to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before going
    to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:

    17" powerbook 1ghz
    14.1" IBM t40

    I can't decide which computer to get, so I have decided to compare operating
    systems. My problem is, I love Linux, and I believe that the future of any
    computer scientist will revolve around Linux. Therefore, I want a laptop
    that will be most compatible with linux. On a PC, I know that I have a
    dual-boot with XP and almost any linux distribution. I don't know how it
    works for a mac though. Can I have a dual-boot with OS X and Linux? Or what
    about a triple boot with XP, OS X, and Linux? Or do I have to stick with
    Linux and XP emulators? OR, is the Unix backbone of OS X enough to give me a
    platform for developing Unix apps. (I know, Linux is not Unix). Can you guys
    explain this to me? Thanks alot, I appreciate anyone who answers.

    Orhan

  2. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:14:13 +0000, Orhan Ayasli wrote:

    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before
    > going to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:
    >
    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40
    >
    > I can't decide which computer to get, so I have decided to compare
    > operating systems. My problem is, I love Linux, and I believe that the
    > future of any computer scientist will revolve around Linux. Therefore, I
    > want a laptop that will be most compatible with linux. On a PC, I know
    > that I have a dual-boot with XP and almost any linux distribution. I don't
    > know how it works for a mac though. Can I have a dual-boot with OS X and
    > Linux? Or what about a triple boot with XP, OS X, and Linux? Or do I have
    > to stick with Linux and XP emulators? OR, is the Unix backbone of OS X
    > enough to give me a platform for developing Unix apps. (I know, Linux is
    > not Unix). Can you guys explain this to me? Thanks alot, I appreciate
    > anyone who answers.
    >
    > Orhan

    Well, on the Mac you'll most likely be running OSX(Darwin). What then would be
    the need to put Linux on it at all? POSIX is POSIX.

    --
    i.m.

  3. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    Orhan Ayasli wrote:

    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40

    IMO the 15" PBook is the best,- the 17" is BIG.

    > Can I have a dual-boot with OS X and Linux?

    Yes, I beleive that is possible,it certainly was on earlier Powerbooks.

    >Or what about a triple boot with XP, OS X, and Linux?

    No, though you can run a windows emulator under OS X, and that will run
    almost all Win apps well, though it'll be no good for games or video
    rendering!

    > OR, is the Unix backbone of OS X enough to give me a
    > platform for developing Unix apps. (I know, Linux is not Unix).

    Yes,though OS x is not unix/linux, it has many similarities.The
    developer tools come free with OS X, so you can start from day 1.

    Alan.
    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
    http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

  4. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    "Orhan Ayasli" writes:

    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before going
    > to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:
    >
    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40
    >
    > I can't decide which computer to get, so I have decided to compare operating
    > systems. My problem is, I love Linux, and I believe that the future of any
    > computer scientist will revolve around Linux.

    Hmm. A debatable belief. But we'll let it pass.

    > Therefore, I want a laptop
    > that will be most compatible with linux. On a PC, I know that I have a
    > dual-boot with XP and almost any linux distribution. I don't know how it
    > works for a mac though. Can I have a dual-boot with OS X and Linux? Or what
    > about a triple boot with XP, OS X, and Linux?

    Not on a Mac. XP doesn't run there. You can buy an emulator to run an
    Intel-based OS (more slowly) on a Mac.

    > Or do I have to stick with
    > Linux and XP emulators? OR, is the Unix backbone of OS X enough to give me a
    > platform for developing Unix apps. (I know, Linux is not Unix). Can you guys
    > explain this to me? Thanks alot, I appreciate anyone who answers.

    Well, the user interface is quite different on OS X. You can run X
    Windows on it and make it more Linux-like, if you like.

    System management and device drivers are totally different, as is the
    shared library mechanism.

    The Unix API in OS X, by all accounts, is real Berkeley Unix, so
    BSD-ported code should run with few modifications, once you get it to
    build and sort out shared libraries etc.

    I think it's quite easy to dual-boot Linux and OS X on the same
    Mac. You will have a choice of Linux distributions for a Mac, though
    not as wide a choice as with an Intel box. And Linux driver support
    will be less on a Mac than on Intel.

    On the other hand, OS X will let you run commercial desktop
    applications like Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.),
    Illustrator, and Photoshop without rebooting from a Unix environment.

    And Apple makes nice LCD screens...

    --
    -Stephen H. Westin

  5. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    I am not a Mac owner, but I would recommend getting a Mac with OSX. Linux
    lovers will usually also love Mac once they try them. I am a linux user
    myself but if I could afford a nice Mac laptop I would get one.

  6. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:14:13 -0400,
    Orhan Ayasli , in
    wrote:

    +> I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy
    +> before going to college. I've narrowed it down to these two
    +> notebook computers:

    Ok, what are you going to be required to run? not what *you* want to
    run, but what are the instructors going to require you use? You may
    luck out and be allowed to use a standard libC unix-like
    environment. Or you may be required to use Visual (Studio|C|Basic).

    Once you know what you need to run, then you can proceed with actually
    picking the hardware.

    Yes, Mac enthusiasts, I know you can emulate a Windoze environment
    under OS X. But keep in mind who owns that particular bit of software
    these days. I'll be very suprised to see continued development of
    Virtual PC under OS X.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  7. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    "Orhan Ayasli" wrote in message
    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before

    going
    > to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:
    >
    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40
    >
    > I can't decide which computer to get, so I have decided to compare

    operating
    > systems. My problem is, I love Linux, and I believe that the future of any
    > computer scientist will revolve around Linux. Therefore, I want a laptop
    > that will be most compatible with linux. On a PC, I know that I have a
    > dual-boot with XP and almost any linux distribution. I don't know how it
    > works for a mac though. Can I have a dual-boot with OS X and Linux? Or

    what
    > about a triple boot with XP, OS X, and Linux? Or do I have to stick with
    > Linux and XP emulators? OR, is the Unix backbone of OS X enough to give me

    > platform for developing Unix apps. (I know, Linux is not Unix). Can you

    guys
    > explain this to me? Thanks alot, I appreciate anyone who answers.

    The straight answer is to ask your tutors.

    Personally I'd go with the Intel platform if you're *really* interested in
    comp.sci. You'll have more choice and be able to use a more up to date o/s.
    Linux on PPC is more limited in choice of distros and those are usually a
    step or two behind their intel brethren.

    OSX is basically BSD, which you can also get for intel so there's no real
    advantage in going the PPC route unless things like eye-candy and bragging
    rights (which will expire by Xmas) actually mean something to you, plus
    you're saving a ton of cash going the intel route.

  8. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

  9. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:14:13 +0000, Orhan Ayasli wrote:

    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before
    > going to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:
    >
    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40
    >
    > I can't decide which computer to get, so I have decided to compare
    > operating systems. My problem is, I love Linux, and I believe that the
    > future of any computer scientist will revolve around Linux. Therefore, I
    > want a laptop that will be most compatible with linux. On a PC, I know
    > that I have a dual-boot with XP and almost any linux distribution. I don't
    > know how it works for a mac though. Can I have a dual-boot with OS X and
    > Linux? Or what about a triple boot with XP, OS X, and Linux? Or do I have
    > to stick with Linux and XP emulators? OR, is the Unix backbone of OS X
    > enough to give me a platform for developing Unix apps. (I know, Linux is
    > not Unix). Can you guys explain this to me? Thanks alot, I appreciate
    > anyone who answers.
    >
    > Orhan

    Well, on the Mac you'll most likely be running OSX(Darwin). What then would be
    the need to put Linux on it at all? POSIX is POSIX.

    --
    i.m.

  10. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:14:13 +0000, Orhan Ayasli wrote:

    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before
    > going to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:
    >
    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40
    >
    > I can't decide which computer to get, so I have decided to compare
    > operating systems. My problem is, I love Linux, and I believe that the
    > future of any computer scientist will revolve around Linux. Therefore, I
    > want a laptop that will be most compatible with linux. On a PC, I know
    > that I have a dual-boot with XP and almost any linux distribution. I don't
    > know how it works for a mac though. Can I have a dual-boot with OS X and
    > Linux? Or what about a triple boot with XP, OS X, and Linux? Or do I have
    > to stick with Linux and XP emulators? OR, is the Unix backbone of OS X
    > enough to give me a platform for developing Unix apps. (I know, Linux is
    > not Unix). Can you guys explain this to me? Thanks alot, I appreciate
    > anyone who answers.
    >
    > Orhan

    Well, on the Mac you'll most likely be running OSX(Darwin). What then would be
    the need to put Linux on it at all? POSIX is POSIX.

    --
    i.m.

  11. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    Orhan Ayasli wrote:

    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before going
    > to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:
    >
    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40

    I would go for the IBM purely because on a Comp Sci course you will
    probably never go anywhere near a Mac. The likeliness is that you will
    _need_ to use Windows at some point within your course - mainly for your
    programming modules, which you will be required to create programs for
    both *nix and Windows. An Apple Mac will probably not help here.

    I have just completed a BSc in Computer Systems w/ Psychology, and I never
    used a Mac on the CS side (I did with the Psychology bit) and from
    experience, I can say that a PC will be a lot more use to your CS course
    than a Mac would be.

    --
    Dylan Parry - http://www.DylanParry.com

    The light at the end of the tunnel is the
    headlamp of an oncoming train

  12. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    sy_nttvr@gurcragntba.pbz (I R A Darth Aggie) writes:

    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:14:13 -0400,
    > Orhan Ayasli , in
    > wrote:
    >
    > +> I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy
    > +> before going to college. I've narrowed it down to these two
    > +> notebook computers:
    >
    > Ok, what are you going to be required to run? not what *you* want to
    > run, but what are the instructors going to require you use? You may
    > luck out and be allowed to use a standard libC unix-like
    > environment. Or you may be required to use Visual (Studio|C|Basic).

    Around here, you need Java. Which is pretty platform-independent.

    > Once you know what you need to run, then you can proceed with actually
    > picking the hardware.
    >
    > Yes, Mac enthusiasts, I know you can emulate a Windoze environment
    > under OS X. But keep in mind who owns that particular bit of software
    > these days. I'll be very suprised to see continued development of
    > Virtual PC under OS X.

    I wouldn't be surprised, if only because Microsoft needs to preserve
    the pretense of real competition. After all, MS Office is alive and
    well on the Mac. Besides which, I suspect that each Windows licenss
    sold with Virtual PC fetches more than an OEM license on an Intel
    box. After all, Microsoft doesn't really gain anything by selling
    Intel hardware.

    --
    -Stephen H. Westin

  13. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

  14. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    Seriously, some websites are for MSIE 5.5 or 6.0, windows version with
    Active-X, only.

    Even you favourite forum might be "Windows + MSIE only" :-(. WIth
    Netscape 7.1, you just see an "empty" forum, with MSIE you see the whole
    contents. Example:

    http://www.sonicbbs.com/war/topicdis...TopicID=286228
    empty forum thread with Netscape 7.1,
    full forum thread with pictures with MSIE 6.

    So if you wanna easyness with Internet surfing, you MUST buy an
    Intel-PC. With an Intel-PC, you still have the option to boot Linux or
    W2k/XP on the same computer.

    With Mac, forget about old OS-9.x, but just think about OS-X computers.
    But you have no chance between Unix ( OS-X ) and a MS-compatible OS.
    Thats it.

    My fanpage about legacy Apple Performa 5200
    http://www.hemmerling.com/html/en/apple.html
    ... not seriously used, it was a gift this summer.

    Sincerely
    Rolf

    --
    / / / Alone on the data highway...
    / / like on an allee in Hannover-Herrenhausen

  15. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:14:13 -0400, Orhan Ayasli wrote:

    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before
    > going to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:
    >
    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40

    So, after all the postings in response to the OP, what was your final decision?
    (please say "Mac")

    later...
    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu
    Johns Hopkins University | Baltimore, MD

  16. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    In article , Rolf Hemmerling wrote:
    > Thats it.
    >
    > My fanpage about legacy Apple Performa 5200
    > http://www.hemmerling.com/html/en/apple.html
    > .. not seriously used, it was a gift this summer.

    (looking at site), hmm, isn't a 5200 a 601 processor ?

  17. Word

    Buy a mac

  18. Re: Word

    Jonas wrote:
    > Buy a mac

    with fries and a cola? What other MAC is there?

    --

    .~. Registered Linux User #241923
    /V\ Red Hat Linux

  19. Re: Word

  20. Re: Word

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:35:01 GMT, redhat_devel wrote::

    >Jonas wrote:
    >> Buy a mac

    >with fries and a cola? What other MAC is there?

    There's the fruit -- A MacIntosh, sort of like a red Granny Smith.

    There's the trenchcoat (MacIntosh, think Columbo)

    There's the Scottish clan (MacIntosh)

    There's the tartan design (probably related to the Scottish clan)

    There's the truck (though that's MACK)

    There's the submachineguns (by Ingram. No longer in production, and
    quite expensive if you're legally allowed to own one.)

    There's the address (MAC address)

    There's a few construction companies with that name too.

    Thanks,

    MCheu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast