Mac vs. PC choice for college. - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Mac vs. PC choice for college. - Powerpc ; "Orhan Ayasli" wrote in message news: ... > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before going > to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers: > > 17" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    "Orhan Ayasli" wrote in message news:...
    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before going
    > to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:
    >
    > 17" powerbook 1ghz
    > 14.1" IBM t40

    I decided to buy a iBook as my laptop as I already had an x86-PC.
    Also PowerPC processors are designed for low power usage. The battery
    life is 3.5 hours for *intensive* use of my iBook. Also, I was
    curious of playing/studying Mac OS X.

    > I can't decide which computer to get, so I have decided to compare operating
    > systems. My problem is, I love Linux, and I believe that the future of any
    > computer scientist will revolve around Linux.
    > Therefore, I want a laptop
    > that will be most compatible with linux.

    Linux runs fine on ppc laptops. Although there are less users, the
    hardware is more standardize (i.e. there are not too many different
    models of iBook / Powerbook). On the iBook, everything works,
    including the sound, wireless, software modem. Note: A lot of my
    friends have Thinkpads, so with these laptops, Linux should run fine
    also.

    Note that there are not too many companies that supports Linux/ppc.
    Most commercial software, if there is a Linux version, will be
    Linux/x86 only. Most software requires only a recompilation but most
    companies will not recompile it for Linux/ppc.

    > On a PC, I know that I have a
    > dual-boot with XP and almost any linux distribution.
    > I don't know how it
    > works for a mac though. Can I have a dual-boot with OS X and Linux?

    Yes. Actually you can run them at the same time with Mac-on-Linux.

    > Or what
    > about a triple boot with XP, OS X, and Linux?

    XP works only on x86, so you need an x86 hardware emulator. With an
    x86 emulator and Mac-on-Linux, you can run Linux, Mac OS X and XP at
    the same time.

    > Or do I have to stick with
    > Linux and XP emulators? OR, is the Unix backbone of OS X enough to give me a
    > platform for developing Unix apps.

    Mac OS X is a Unix-like system. So, yes you can develop Unix
    applications.

    > (I know, Linux is not Unix). Can you guys
    > explain this to me? Thanks alot, I appreciate anyone who answers.

    Note: In your message you mention XP several times. If you intend to
    use XP regularly with Linux then you should go for x86 laptop.

    If you want to use XP, OS X and Linux but XP not often and not for
    games etc., then you should go for the iBook. PowerPCs emulators are
    rare, but they are several open source x86 emulators.

    David

  2. Re: Word

    [FollowupTo Set to : alt.linux ... the powerPC people don't want to see
    this ]

    On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:48:01 -0500, MrToad said:

    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y29C42DA5

    Try tinyurl.com next time. No painful "redirecting" page...

    http://tinyurl.com/kwzf

    Is the above linked card, for example...

    --
    Lenroc

  3. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    On 07 Aug 2003 14:46:41 -0400, westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu
    (Stephen H. Westin) wrote:

    >Keith Keller writes:
    >
    >> [note Newsgroups: line]
    >>
    >> In article , Stephen H. Westin wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I think it's quite easy to dual-boot Linux and OS X on the same
    >> > Mac. You will have a choice of Linux distributions for a Mac, though
    >> > not as wide a choice as with an Intel box. And Linux driver support
    >> > will be less on a Mac than on Intel.

    >> Not necessarily. Since there's less variety in the hardware in Apple
    >> boxes, it's a little easier for kernel coders to write drivers for
    >> a greater proportion of the hardware available for the Apple architecture.
    >> I've had little problem getting hardware working under linux-ppc, and
    >> in fact one device (a crappy USB scanner) works only in linux, not
    >> OS X.

    >I meant compared to Linux/Intel. Chances are that you scanner would
    >also be supported on Linux/Intel. My limited impression is that things
    >in the open-source world get debugged on Intel first.
    >
    >> (Laptops are a different beast, of course, but aside from mirroring
    >> my display correctly my iBook has run linux just fine.)

    >That's great news.

    I would get the ibook. Face it, you want the cool stuff, and to boot,
    with the Mac you can have everything: Linux, XP, and OS 10.2.

  4. Re: Mac vs. PC choice for college.

    In article , Orhan Ayasli
    wrote:

    > I am a freshman CS major and I am looking for a computer to buy before going
    > to college. I've narrowed it down to these two notebook computers:

    Orhan ‹ you left out the key information: what school and what are your
    own personal interests?

    If you are going to one of the top research universities (MIT,
    Stanford, Berkeley...) things will be a whole lot different. If you
    truly believe that Linux is the ³future² that says a whole lot.

    Because you asked, I assume you donıt have any particular interests or
    insights and should go with the flow, meaning wintel.

    It is my impression that the future is denominated in different
    platforms: Java, AMP, OTP are the big ones for an entry-level student.
    Make your choices that way.

    So far as special interests and larger futures, you should be playing
    with hybrid kernels, metastate management and higher order models.
    Semantics and choreography models are the next big thing. All of these
    would argue for a Mac (for real research) dual with with YDL (for MAP,
    maybe Python depending on the school).

    Your first step should have been to ask about which editor (editor
    philosophy) you should spend the rest of your life in.

    Best, Ted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2