I want to malloc from local bus RAM (OS is linux) - Powerpc

This is a discussion on I want to malloc from local bus RAM (OS is linux) - Powerpc ; I should port vxWorks device driver code to linux OS. CPU is mpc8260. 64MB RAM is connected to 60x bus, and 8MB RAM is connected to local bus. 60x bus RAM is the system memory. vxWorks supports memPartCreate(), memPartAlloc(), ... ...

  1. I want to malloc from local bus RAM (OS is linux)

    I should port vxWorks device driver code to linux OS.

    CPU is mpc8260.
    64MB RAM is connected to 60x bus, and 8MB RAM is connected to local bus.
    60x bus RAM is the system memory.

    vxWorks supports memPartCreate(), memPartAlloc(), ...
    So, I malloc from local bus RAM using above functions.
    But, Linux does not support above functions.

    How can I malloc from local bus RAM on linux?

  2. Re: I want to malloc from local bus RAM (OS is linux)

    Hi Joung-Hoon

    > I should port vxWorks device driver code to linux OS.

    Be sure not to violate any VxWorks copyright licenses by making the code GPL
    :-)

    > CPU is mpc8260.
    > 64MB RAM is connected to 60x bus, and 8MB RAM is connected to local bus.
    > 60x bus RAM is the system memory.
    >
    > vxWorks supports memPartCreate(), memPartAlloc(), ...
    > So, I malloc from local bus RAM using above functions.
    > But, Linux does not support above functions.
    >
    > How can I malloc from local bus RAM on linux?

    To make the memory available to all applications, you should give
    http://tab.tuxfamily.org/download/book/mm.pdf
    a try. You will find the important stuff for you in the section
    "Initialization/Memory Zones"

    Bye,

    --
    Markus Pietrek

    (Remove _nospam from email address before replying)

+ Reply to Thread