Re: Sharing files between MacOS X and Linux - Powerpc

  2. Re: Sharing files between MacOS X and Linux

    Tron Thomas wrote:

    > Thanks Keith.
    >
    > Actually I had already looked at this documentation prior to posting
    > to this newsgroup.
    >
    > I had followed the steps mentioned in that how-to, and I still can't
    > get NFS working correctly. One of the problems is that I only have
    > one Linux machine to test against.
    >
    > Is it possible to mount a directory as an NFS share point on the same
    > computer?
    > I tried doing this and I got a message saying permission denied. I
    > don't know why. I have specified my Linux box as a valid client in
    > the hosts.allow file

    If your NFS-Server is the Linux-Box, you have to export the filesystems in
    insecure mode. This meens the protocoll uses portnumbers over 1000.
    On my linux Server i use the following configuration:

    mf@blue:~> cat /etc/exports
    /home 172.27.178.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async,insecure)
    /export 172.27.178.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async,insecure)
    mf@blue:~>

    Michael

  3. Re: Sharing files between MacOS X and Linux

    I am able to get NFS to work locally on each system. That is I can
    mount the share I specified on my Macintosh as an NFS share on the
    Macintsoh. And I can mount the share I specified on my Linux system
    as an NFS share on the Linux system.

    This seems to be validation that both machines both machines are
    configured to work as NFS servers.

    Despite all of this I am unable to connect to either NFS share from
    the other computer. Would this have anything to do with the firewalls
    running on both computers?

    I know very little about firewalls on either operating system. If
    this problem is a firewall issue, where will I find documentation that
    will tell me how to configure the firewalls to work with NFS?

    Michael wrote in message news:...
    > Tron Thomas wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Keith.
    > >
    > > Actually I had already looked at this documentation prior to posting
    > > to this newsgroup.
    > >
    > > I had followed the steps mentioned in that how-to, and I still can't
    > > get NFS working correctly. One of the problems is that I only have
    > > one Linux machine to test against.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to mount a directory as an NFS share point on the same
    > > computer?
    > > I tried doing this and I got a message saying permission denied. I
    > > don't know why. I have specified my Linux box as a valid client in
    > > the hosts.allow file
    > >

    > If your NFS-Server is the Linux-Box, you have to export the filesystems in
    > insecure mode. This meens the protocoll uses portnumbers over 1000.
    > On my linux Server i use the following configuration:
    >
    > mf@blue:~> cat /etc/exports
    > /home 172.27.178.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async,insecure)
    > /export 172.27.178.0/24(rw,no_root_squash,async,insecure)
    > mf@blue:~>
    >

    > Michael

+ Reply to Thread