    2.4.21 kernel configs and your XFree configs to try. Thx
    --
    Linux User 290112 - Linux Machine 179107
    PGP key at pgp.escomposlinux.org
    Tanke at escomposlinux . org

  2. Re: Help with ibook and Radeon 7500

    > - G3 900MHZ, Radeon 7500 32MB, 14 inch monitor
    >
    > Im using Debian SID and I cant starts XFree, the monitor crash showing
    > black screen.. i try a lot of configurations and i arrange the problem.

    Only a 700Mhz with 12" and a 16MB Radeon Mobility, yet with (some help)
    I have a working drm-trunk X, quake2 runs nicely

    > Im using Benh 2.4.21 kernel and drm-trunk module for the radeon modules.

    There relevant part from the .config from my 2.4.21-benh2 kernel would
    be this [1].

    > Any hint? Thx. Anybody have a same ibook? Please, send me your benh
    > 2.4.21 kernel configs and your XFree configs to try. Thx

    You will probably need the radeon.o kernelmodule for drm which differs
    from the one that comes with the kernel.
    To get this do 'apt-get install drm-trunk-module-src', den untar
    drm-trunk.tar.gz in which is now placed in /usr/src and to a 'make' to
    get the sources installed. Also have the benh sources at /usr/src/linux
    so that these and not some older kernelheaders are linked.

    Place them in /lib/modules//kernel/drivers/char/drm/
    (backup the old radeon.o first i'd say) and run 'depmod -ae'.
    (Yes, there is a 'debian-way' to install kernel and probably modules to,
    yet I still to this via cp vmlinux /boot/ and make modules_install ;-)

    Then you need might need to edit your XF86Config-4 and
    'Option "AGPMode" "1"' (which works for me, other values make X
    crash) in the Section "Device", also 'Option "UseFBDev" "true"' should
    be set.
    Further set DefaultDepth to 16 which is optimal for 3D acceleration.

    You will also need to apt-get install xlibmesa-gl1-dri-trunk (i forgot
    this one).

    Also you I needed the agpgart module loaded *before* the dri radeon
    module, for this I just added [2] to the 'start)' section of the kdm
    startscript in /etc/init.d. (The Debianway would be.... ?)

    _Warning_: My iBook crashed when the dri radeon module was loaded
    without the apggart module so always have a seperate kernel with the
    plain radeon module so that you can atleast get a commandline to fix this.

    If it still doesn't work check the XFree86.0.log in /var/log or just
    start log in as root in a console just type 'X', the messages will then
    just show up in the window.

    I think that was all I did to get dri up and running.

    HTH

    -Thomas

    [1] .config:

    CONFIG_AGP=m
    # [...]
    CONFIG_AGP_UNINORTH=y
    CONFIG_DRM=y

    #
    # DRM 4.1 drivers
    #
    CONFIG_DRM_NEW=y
    # CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
    # CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
    CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m

    [2] kdmrc snipplet:
    # hack, i want agpgart
    if [ "`uname -r`" == "2.4.21-benh2-ibook" ]; then
    modprobe agpgart
    modprobe radeon
    fi

+ Reply to Thread