X config on YD 3.0 ? summat weird going on - Powerpc

This is a discussion on X config on YD 3.0 ? summat weird going on - Powerpc ; I'm really hoping someone can help me out here, I've sweated blood over this one. My only usable (seemingly) X configuration is 800x600 at 8bpp which needless to say sucks. I have a G4 with a 16MB ATI-Rage Pro. Changing ...

  1. X config on YD 3.0 ? summat weird going on

    I'm really hoping someone can help me out here, I've sweated blood over this
    one.

    My only usable (seemingly) X configuration is 800x600 at 8bpp which needless
    to say sucks. I have a G4 with a 16MB ATI-Rage Pro. Changing the resolution
    with the display utility from the desktop and it does probe my card
    correctly. Restarting X gives me unresolved symbols in r128_drv.o, that file
    is installed BTW.

    Now here's the funny thing. My first install was a full one, I selected
    Everything from the available packages. Yayy! It worked a treat, and I was
    getting 1024x768x16. The bummer was a full install takes over 8Gigs and when
    you've only got a 10Gig drive that doesn't put a smile on your face,
    especially when you hear how Linux is so much less bloated than Windoze.
    So a fresh reinstall selecting the packages I wanted / needed. I don't think
    I've missed any packages but the install procedure was different, the full
    install walked me through configuring X, the custom one didn't.

    800x600 with the default desktop doesn't make for a workable situation.
    Xautoconfig (which is really, I mean *really* bad) only works with
    the --fbdepth option. XConfigurator, which I remember fondly from my RedHat
    Intel days, doesn't seem to exist. The most recent RPMs I've found for PPC
    platforms are nearly three years old

    I'm getting down on my knees now, I've struggled for weeks to get this thing
    running. I haven't had to manually edit an XFree86config file for nearly 8
    years now, I thought we were long since past that crap.

    Are Linux PPCs distros the poor relation ? Are we that many years behind the
    Intel crowd ??

  2. Re: X config on YD 3.0 ? summat weird going on

    On 18/7/03 4:56 pm, in article 3f181887$1@dnews0.news.legend.net.uk,
    "Draxen" wrote:

    > I'm really hoping someone can help me out here, I've sweated blood over this
    > one.
    >
    > My only usable (seemingly) X configuration is 800x600 at 8bpp which needless
    > to say sucks. I have a G4 with a 16MB ATI-Rage Pro. Changing the resolution
    > with the display utility from the desktop and it does probe my card
    > correctly. Restarting X gives me unresolved symbols in r128_drv.o, that file
    > is installed BTW.
    >
    > Now here's the funny thing. My first install was a full one, I selected
    > Everything from the available packages. Yayy! It worked a treat, and I was
    > getting 1024x768x16. The bummer was a full install takes over 8Gigs and when
    > you've only got a 10Gig drive that doesn't put a smile on your face,
    > especially when you hear how Linux is so much less bloated than Windoze.
    > So a fresh reinstall selecting the packages I wanted / needed. I don't think
    > I've missed any packages but the install procedure was different, the full
    > install walked me through configuring X, the custom one didn't.
    >
    > 800x600 with the default desktop doesn't make for a workable situation.
    > Xautoconfig (which is really, I mean *really* bad) only works with
    > the --fbdepth option. XConfigurator, which I remember fondly from my RedHat
    > Intel days, doesn't seem to exist. The most recent RPMs I've found for PPC
    > platforms are nearly three years old
    >
    > I'm getting down on my knees now, I've struggled for weeks to get this thing
    > running. I haven't had to manually edit an XFree86config file for nearly 8
    > years now, I thought we were long since past that crap.
    >
    > Are Linux PPCs distros the poor relation ? Are we that many years behind the
    > Intel crowd ??

    I'm running YDL3 on an G4500 (sawtooth) with apple 15lcd display, I have a
    perfect 1024x768 X 16 display with full acceleration. There are a few things
    that you need to do to get this though, eg modprobe r128 and agpgart, and
    they will have to be added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to load at startup. DRI
    also has to be enabled, you can do this by un-commenting the hash at this
    line
    "#Load "dri" to read
    "Load "dri" In your XFree86config file (yes you'll have to do this), as
    well as making sure the "Default Depth" is set to 16.
    Before I did these things X would just crash with the same comments and
    warnings you mention, although on installation X seemed to be fine. Let me
    know if you need any more info or a copy of my XFree86Config file.
    Colin

  3. Re: X config on YD 3.0 ? summat weird going on

    "Colin Ward" wrote in message

    > I'm running YDL3 on an G4500 (sawtooth) with apple 15lcd display, I have a
    > perfect 1024x768 X 16 display with full acceleration. There are a few

    things
    > that you need to do to get this though, eg modprobe r128 and agpgart, and
    > they will have to be added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to load at startup. DRI
    > also has to be enabled, you can do this by un-commenting the hash at this
    > line
    > "#Load "dri" to read
    > "Load "dri" In your XFree86config file (yes you'll have to do this), as
    > well as making sure the "Default Depth" is set to 16.
    > Before I did these things X would just crash with the same comments and
    > warnings you mention, although on installation X seemed to be fine. Let me
    > know if you need any more info or a copy of my XFree86Config file.

    Many thanks for this, it wasn't a complete solution but it put me on the
    right track, I'm grateful.

    For the benefit of anyone Googling this group later on, here's my fix.
    -uncomment the "Load dri" line as Colin suggested
    -put this in the "Device" section of the XF86Config,
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    -in /etc/yaboot.conf remove any existing "append=video" lines and replace
    with this,
    append="video=aty128fb:vmode:6"
    -run ybin to install the modified yaboot.conf, reboot and startx

    All should now be well )

    Thanks again Colin I'd almost given up on this.

  4. Re: X config on YD 3.0 ? summat weird going on

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:16:22 +0100, Draxen wrote:

    > "Colin Ward" wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm running YDL3 on an G4500 (sawtooth) with apple 15lcd display, I have a
    >> perfect 1024x768 X 16 display with full acceleration. There are a few

    > things
    >> that you need to do to get this though, eg modprobe r128 and agpgart, and
    >> they will have to be added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to load at startup. DRI
    >> also has to be enabled, you can do this by un-commenting the hash at this
    >> line
    >> "#Load "dri" to read
    >> "Load "dri" In your XFree86config file (yes you'll have to do this), as
    >> well as making sure the "Default Depth" is set to 16.
    >> Before I did these things X would just crash with the same comments and
    >> warnings you mention, although on installation X seemed to be fine. Let me
    >> know if you need any more info or a copy of my XFree86Config file.

    > Many thanks for this, it wasn't a complete solution but it put me on the
    > right track, I'm grateful.
    >
    > For the benefit of anyone Googling this group later on, here's my fix.
    > -uncomment the "Load dri" line as Colin suggested
    > -put this in the "Device" section of the XF86Config,
    > Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    > -in /etc/yaboot.conf remove any existing "append=video" lines and replace
    > with this,
    > append="video=aty128fb:vmode:6"
    > -run ybin to install the modified yaboot.conf, reboot and startx
    >
    > All should now be well )
    >
    > Thanks again Colin I'd almost given up on this.

    I'm glad you got it sorted. The "UseFBDev" "true" option was already
    uncommented on my config, i guess i should have thrown that in. One other
    thing though, agpgart is not enabled by default on YDL3, with the module
    enabled i get an extra 150fps according to glxgears. It does seems to make
    things a little snappier though. heres what dmesg says about it
    Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
    agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 942M
    agpgart: Detected Apple UniNorth chipset
    agp: configuring for size idx: 4
    agpgart: AGP aperture is 16M @ 0x0
    [drm] AGP 0.99 on Unknown @ 0x00000000 16MB
    [drm] Initialised r128 2.2.0 20010917 on minor 0
    just modprobe "agpgart" and then add it to /etc/rc.d/rc.local so it
    loads at startup. I have also done this on my ibook (G3500,may2001)and it
    really does make a noticeable difference, especially with the rage128 card
    only having 8MB RAM on that model, Glad i could help
    Colin

+ Reply to Thread