I'm trying to run LinuxPPC Q4 2000 on my Powerbook 3400c. After installing, X
won't start and I assume this is just because my XF86Config isn't right.

However, I have trouble editing it because I keep getting a console message
"gdm.pid says that gdm was running, but was unexpectedly murdered." While this
is happening, the X process is also continuously restarting, and the console
keeps flicking to the black X server screen, and then back to the console window
I was in. the GDM process and the X processes will not kill and keep respawning
themselves on new PIDs. I don't even want GDM, as I want to run KDE and login
from the console.

Any suggestions on how I can temporarily stop X and gdm (to uninstall it) in
order to fix my X config files would be greatly appreciated! It's driving me
nuts!

My system is:

Powerbook 3400c
80 MB RAM
1GB apple hard disk
kernel 2.4.10 ppc via BootX (I find that this kernel is more stable than the
LinuxPPC Q4 2000 supplied 2.2 kernel)

From Daniel
Home/MSN: danduke@iprimus.com.au
ICQ# 75924725

Bill Gates is in his heaven, all's right with my PC.