Just to set the record straight, in case anyone else has this problem:

although I found the kernel parameter line written like this in a number of
sources

video=controlfb:vmode:16,cmode:16

I found the simple change was to do
video=controlfb,vmode:16,cmode:16

which worked fine. Maybe the kernel does things differently nowadays.

Michael