Mandrake 8.2 install nonfunction on OldWorld mac - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Mandrake 8.2 install nonfunction on OldWorld mac - Powerpc ; I isntalled Mandrake 8.2 linux on my PowerMac 7300/200. The entire install process went off without a hitch, I then loaded into BootX the suggested kernel and RamDisk, I get the kernel panic Kernel Panic : no init found. try ...

  1. Mandrake 8.2 install nonfunction on OldWorld mac

    I isntalled Mandrake 8.2 linux on my PowerMac 7300/200.

    The entire install process went off without a hitch, I then loaded
    into BootX the suggested kernel and RamDisk, I get the kernel panic

    Kernel Panic : no init found. try passing init= option to kernel.

    isn't the init supposed to be in the RamDisk?'
    Any help I could get would be VERY helpful

  2. Re: Mandrake 8.2 install nonfunction on OldWorld mac

    In article <8c05c8de.0307081953.34ca8ef5@posting.google.com>, Cory
    Wiegersma wrote:

    > I isntalled Mandrake 8.2 linux on my PowerMac 7300/200.
    >
    > The entire install process went off without a hitch, I then loaded
    > into BootX the suggested kernel and RamDisk, I get the kernel panic
    >
    > Kernel Panic : no init found. try passing init= option to kernel.
    >
    > isn't the init supposed to be in the RamDisk?'
    > Any help I could get would be VERY helpful

    Hi Cory

    sorry this isn't the sort of reply you wanted, but as I am in the
    process of considering Mandrake on a 7300/200, I'm hoping you'll share
    your results whatever they may be.

    I got the same Kernel Panic trying to put NetBSD onto an SE/30, and
    can't say I got round that at all, being a nube without a computing
    degree. Sorry I haven't anything more helpful to add.

    On my 7300, I've installed an old copy of LinuxPPC 2000 which works
    perfectly (except I can't get anything to print), and also Debian 3.0,
    though I can't get X to run with that (Debian is tricky and I may not
    have fed it the right video information). YDL 2.2 worked fine, but 2.3
    not so.

    All the best, and please tell us how it went...

    Nikki

  3. Re: Mandrake 8.2 install nonfunction on OldWorld mac

    Cory Wiegersma wrote:

    > I isntalled Mandrake 8.2 linux on my PowerMac 7300/200.
    >
    > The entire install process went off without a hitch, I then loaded
    > into BootX the suggested kernel and RamDisk, I get the kernel panic
    >
    > Kernel Panic : no init found. try passing init= option to kernel.
    >
    > isn't the init supposed to be in the RamDisk?'
    > Any help I could get would be VERY helpful

    I do remember that issue while trying Mdk 9.1. I don't know if this is the
    same thing with Mdk 8.2, but here it is anyway: with Mdk, you effectively
    have to use a ramdisk for the initrd that complements the kernel. Because
    selecting a ramdisk in BootX Options disables the data entry area for
    specifying / , you have to indicate the root partition as kernel argument.
    Did you specify root=/dev/xxx as argument (xxx being something like hda6 or
    sda7 on which you mounted / during the installation)?

+ Reply to Thread