Yellowdog on virgin G4 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Yellowdog on virgin G4 - Powerpc ; I've tried to install YD-3 on an old G4 with a 20 gig drive nicked from a PC. The drive was completely wiped before and I transplanted it and all the partition tables destroyed. The install seemed to go okay, ...

  1. Yellowdog on virgin G4

    I've tried to install YD-3 on an old G4 with a 20 gig drive nicked from a
    PC. The drive was completely wiped before and I transplanted it and all the
    partition tables destroyed.

    The install seemed to go okay, but during the disk partitioning bit YD
    insisted a partition be allocated for a Mac boot (? sorry if I've got the
    terminology wrong).

    So my disk now looks like this,
    /dev/hda1 is 5MB in size, the id is set to "ab" (Darwin boot) and it is
    flagged as bootable.
    hda2 is 19GB plus change and is the linux file system with hda3 set to be
    swap at 235MB in size.

    The install seemed to go without a hitch but when I try to boot from hard
    drive I get a flashing Mac folder type icon with a question mark and that's
    it. I can boot from the install CD and mount the drive okay, I think I've
    got to do something with yaboot but everytime I try that it complains about
    not being able to find its config file.

    I understand the concept of boot strap loaders (LILO etc) from the PC world
    but this is new territory for me. Shouldn't the install have taken care of
    this ? Did I goof ? How can I ungoof ??

  2. Re: Yellowdog on virgin G4

    Your forgetting that the mac stores it's hdd driver on the
    drive. Not in rom. You need all those rediculous partitions at the
    front of the drive or it ain't ever going to work... There may be a work
    around. But I haven't seen one.

    --

    Frank Meyer
    www.geocities.com/qybix

  3. Re: Yellowdog on virgin G4

    Draxen wrote:

    > I've tried to install YD-3 on an old G4 with a 20 gig drive nicked from a
    > PC. The drive was completely wiped before and I transplanted it and all the
    > partition tables destroyed.
    >
    > The install seemed to go okay, but during the disk partitioning bit YD
    > insisted a partition be allocated for a Mac boot (? sorry if I've got the
    > terminology wrong).

    > So my disk now looks like this,
    > /dev/hda1 is 5MB in size, the id is set to "ab" (Darwin boot) and it is
    > flagged as bootable.
    > hda2 is 19GB plus change and is the linux file system with hda3 set to be
    > swap at 235MB in size.

    I don't think you were supposed to use the PC scheme for your disk, but
    I do not know the newer YD installers. The Mac's firmware might not be
    able to boot from a type 0xAB partitition, which I think is meant for
    Darwin/x86 (aka Darwin on PCs).

    > The install seemed to go without a hitch but when I try to boot from hard
    > drive I get a flashing Mac folder type icon with a question mark and
    > that's it.

    This is very probably a sign that the firmware cannot read your hard
    disk because you used the wrong partition scheme.

    > I can boot from the install CD and mount the drive okay, I think I've got
    > to do something with yaboot but everytime I try that it complains about
    > not being able to find its config file.

    Run the installer again, make sure you use "pdisk" (not "fdisk") to
    partition your disk.

    (Note that you only need the Mac driver partitions the other poster
    mentioned when you intend to run the classic Mac OS on the machine.
    However, Mac-on-Linux might use them, I don't know.)

    > I understand the concept of boot strap loaders (LILO etc) from the PC
    > world but this is new territory for me. Shouldn't the install have taken
    > care of this ? Did I goof ? How can I ungoof ??

    Read openfirmware.html (link is at the top) to understand Open Firmware
    and how a PowerPC box boots. Then reinstall.

    Also, unspamprotect your email address or give better hints as to what
    your email address really is.

    --
    Andrew J. Brehm
    Fan of Woody Allen