Re: Replacing disk drive in Powermac - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Re: Replacing disk drive in Powermac - Powerpc ; donotwritehere@computerdatasafe.com.au writes: > I have a few 7xxx powermacs, and one (a 7300/180) has a dud disk drive. > mke2fsck -c -c doesn't overcome the errors, so I took the drive > (assembly) from a 7200/120 and installed it in ...

  1. Re: Replacing disk drive in Powermac

    donotwritehere@computerdatasafe.com.au writes:

    > I have a few 7xxx powermacs, and one (a 7300/180) has a dud disk drive.
    > mke2fsck -c -c doesn't overcome the errors, so I took the drive
    > (assembly) from a 7200/120 and installed it in the 7300/180.
    >
    > The 7300/180 now doesn't boot, doesn't turn on the screen.
    >
    > WHat is the proper way to replace the drive, and can I do it without
    > MacOS.
    >
    > Thus far I've been deleting /dev/sda5 and higher (6 and up on one), not
    > knowing what all those partitions are for.
    >
    > I've scoured the net for ways to boot this thing to no avail.
    >
    > I presume I should put the first drive back and copy stuff to the
    > second, but what and with what?
    >
    > I'm using Debian/Woody.

    I just installed Deb/Woody on a 7200, which I think is the same
    architecture as the 7300, without benefit of Mac OS. With the 7200 at
    least, the OpenFirmware output is to the modem port, which you can
    read with a terminal, or via a printer cable and Zterm on another one
    of your Macs, that's why you get the blank screen. I found as I was
    trying to get it to work that you could force a Mac boot by zapping
    the PRAM, boot with the Debian installation floppies, mount the system
    and use that as a rescue system by control-option-F2 to get a shell
    (the partitions are mounted at target). You use sbin/nvsetenv to set
    the openfirmware stuff. Google tuxppc and 7200 installation to find a
    good article on the settings, especially the boot-command work around
    to get the disc spinning.

    --
    Andrew Rutherford
    ajrutherford@mail.ru

  2. Re: Replacing disk drive in Powermac

    Andrew Rutherford wrote:

    > I just installed Deb/Woody on a 7200, which I think is the same
    > architecture as the 7300, without benefit of Mac OS. With the 7200 at
    > least, the OpenFirmware output is to the modem port, which you can
    > read with a terminal, or via a printer cable and Zterm on another one
    > of your Macs, that's why you get the blank screen. I found as I was
    > trying to get it to work that you could force a Mac boot by zapping
    > the PRAM, boot with the Debian installation floppies, mount the system
    > and use that as a rescue system by control-option-F2 to get a shell
    > (the partitions are mounted at target). You use sbin/nvsetenv to set
    > the openfirmware stuff. Google tuxppc and 7200 installation to find a
    > good article on the settings, especially the boot-command work around
    > to get the disc spinning.

    The 7200 is a different architecture from the 7300. The 7300 shares the
    Nitro architecture with the 7500,7600,8500 and 9500. Since the 7200 is a
    PPC601, a linux install for it may not work on another PCI Powermac,
    uless its a generic kernel.

    Adam

+ Reply to Thread