boot linux on G3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on boot linux on G3 - Powerpc ; Hi, I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a beige G3. I tryed to use quik (with the appropriate path) as a bootloader, but it doesn't work at all. I get the following message: can't OPEN: /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/ata-disk@0:0 What does it ...

  1. boot linux on G3

    Hi,

    I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a beige G3.
    I tryed to use quik (with the appropriate path) as a bootloader, but it doesn't
    work at all. I get the following message:

    can't OPEN: /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/ata-disk@0:0

    What does it mean ?
    What is the solution ?

    JBK

  2. Re: boot linux on G3

  3. Re: boot linux on G3

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:29:19 +0200
    Jean-Baptiste Kammerer wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a beige G3.
    > I tryed to use quik (with the appropriate path) as a bootloader, but it
    > doesn't work at all. I get the following message:
    >
    > can't OPEN: /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/ata-disk@0:0
    >
    > What does it mean ?
    > What is the solution ?

    Try to read the info on my page, it might help you:

    http://www.cs.auc.dk/~enrique/linux/bootquik.html

    --
    Mvh. / Kind regards
    Henrik Farre

    http://www.cs.auc.dk/~enrique

  4. Re: boot linux on G3

    Nikki wrote:
    > Hi Jean-Baptiste
    >
    > is the Beige G3 classified as 'New-World'? I have a feeling it's one of
    > those on the borderline, maybe 'Old World'? In which case you must use
    > BootX, not quik. [Sorry if that's off the mark.]

    Yes, this is an "old world" G3, and I use quik. I also downloaded the modified
    first.b file...
    I don't understand the problem. :-(

    > Debian is hard work, and I still don't know what I did wrong the first
    > coupla times. But got 3.0 running on a 7300 and 2.1 on an SE/30 good
    > and stable, so it's worth persevering.

    I have Debian on my PC, and I think it is the best Linux distribution. That's
    why I want to install Debian on my G3.

    > bonne chance

    :-)

    > Nikki

    JBK

  5. Re: boot linux on G3

    Jean-Baptiste Kammerer wrote:

    > Nikki wrote:
    > > Hi Jean-Baptiste
    > >
    > > is the Beige G3 classified as 'New-World'? I have a feeling it's one of
    > > those on the borderline, maybe 'Old World'? In which case you must use
    > > BootX, not quik. [Sorry if that's off the mark.]

    > Yes, this is an "old world" G3, and I use quik. I also downloaded the modified
    > first.b file...
    > I don't understand the problem. :-(

    I am using BootX (from a previous unsuccessful MkLinux installation
    attempt) on my beige G3/233. Works like a charm. Would that be an option
    for you?

    Cheers,
    Hans-Martin

  6. Re: boot linux on G3

    Henrik Farre wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:29:19 +0200
    > Jean-Baptiste Kammerer wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm trying to install linux (Debian) on a beige G3.
    >>I tryed to use quik (with the appropriate path) as a bootloader, but it
    >>doesn't work at all. I get the following message:
    >>
    >>can't OPEN: /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/ata-disk@0:0
    >>
    >>What does it mean ?
    >>What is the solution ?

    > Try to read the info on my page, it might help you:
    >
    > http://www.cs.auc.dk/~enrique/linux/bootquik.html

    Let me ask you, have you had a dead battery ever? I mean completely
    dead, the internal battery. I'm actively investigating this. Can you
    please post or send me your output from nvsetenv, and printenv in OF?
    And do you know anybody with a similar machine which is working? It
    would be nice to see their OF printenv output. I think with this
    problem, bootx would fail too. This might amount to nothing, but we're
    learning something, right?
    Jim

  7. Re: boot linux on G3

    Jim wrote:
    > Let me ask you, have you had a dead battery ever? I mean completely
    > dead, the internal battery. I'm actively investigating this. Can you
    > please post or send me your output from nvsetenv, and printenv in OF?
    > And do you know anybody with a similar machine which is working? It
    > would be nice to see their OF printenv output. I think with this
    > problem, bootx would fail too. This might amount to nothing, but we're
    > learning something, right?
    > Jim

    Yes, I think the battery is dead since the clock always forget the date...
    I will try nvsetenv and printenv... I'll post the output as soon as possible !
    I don't know anybody using a Macintosh...
    BootX was working perfectly... when MacOS was installed !

    JBK

+ Reply to Thread