laptop and linux ... Suggestions? - Portable

This is a discussion on laptop and linux ... Suggestions? - Portable ; Hi, I'd like to buy a new laptop (low cost around 600 euros). Can you suggest me a laptop (the best one within this prize) that is fully compatible with linux? Everything should be work correctly (i.e., integrated web cam, ...

  1. laptop and linux ... Suggestions?

    Hi,
    I'd like to buy a new laptop (low cost around 600 euros).
    Can you suggest me a laptop (the best one within this prize) that is
    fully compatible with linux?
    Everything should be work correctly (i.e., integrated web cam, suspend
    and hibernate functions,
    video out (this is fundamental, I usually use laptop to make
    presentations using a projector), and so on..)
    I see Laptop from Dell, but I cannot buy them for some reasons. (oh
    actually if a Dell has the same caratteristics
    of another one, but it costs about 200 euros lesser, you can suggest
    it :-) )

    Any suggestion?
    Can you motivate your choice?

    Thanks.
    Luca

    ps I buy a laptop only every 3 or 4 years... this is the reason why I
    dont know which one is the best...

  2. Re: laptop and linux ... Suggestions?

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:07:34 -0700, desaparecido79 wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'd like to buy a new laptop (low cost around 600 euros). Can you
    > suggest me a laptop (the best one within this prize) that is fully
    > compatible with linux?
    > Everything should be work correctly (i.e., integrated web cam, suspend
    > and hibernate functions,
    > video out (this is fundamental, I usually use laptop to make
    > presentations using a projector), and so on..) I see Laptop from Dell,
    > but I cannot buy them for some reasons. (oh actually if a Dell has the
    > same caratteristics of another one, but it costs about 200 euros lesser,
    > you can suggest it :-) )
    >
    > Any suggestion?
    > Can you motivate your choice?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Luca
    >
    > ps I buy a laptop only every 3 or 4 years... this is the reason why I
    > dont know which one is the best...

    Lenovo also sells Linux laptops, HP sells laptops with FreeDos. To
    guarantee Linux compatibility the one word to remember is Intel. If you
    get Intel everything in the Laptop it will be 100% compatible. I'm
    planning on a Lenovo Centrino2 when the start to sell them next month.
    The reason I'm waiting for Centrino 2 is that Intel graphics suck
    compared to Nvidia and ATI and Lenovo only offers Linux on machines with
    Intel Graphics (even though Nvidia and ATI are Linux compatible and they
    offer Nvidia as an option on the Windows versions). I'm hoping that
    Centrino 2 graphics will suck less than the current Intel graphics chip.

    If you want to test out laptops that are available in retails stores the
    best thing to do is to put a LiveCD on a USB stick and take it to a
    store. I've done that at Costco, I have 64bit F9 on a 4G USB stick, I've
    plugged it in to several laptops and rebooted them into Linux. The Intels
    all worked fine, X didn't work on an A64 with an NVidia card.

  3. Re: laptop and linux ... Suggestions?

    General Schvantzkopf writes:
    > The reason I'm waiting for Centrino 2 is that Intel graphics suck
    > compared to Nvidia and ATI and Lenovo only offers Linux on machines with
    > Intel Graphics (even though Nvidia and ATI are Linux compatible and they
    > offer Nvidia as an option on the Windows versions). I'm hoping that
    > Centrino 2 graphics will suck less than the current Intel graphics chip.

    The T61 Nvidia chipset uses a lot more power than the Intel chip and
    requires restricted drivers that apparently have a lot of bugs. I'm
    not even sure if 64 bit drivers are available. I bought the Intel
    graphics version and it doesn't suck but I am slightly annoyed that
    the docking station (which I didn't buy) supports dual link dvi
    (required for 30" external displays) for the Nvidia chipset but not
    the Intel chipset. In other regards, since I don't care about 3D
    graphics, I prefer the Intel chipset. I would not buy NVidia unless
    they release sufficient specs for third parties to release drivers
    as free source code.

    There is some talk on the Lenovo blogs about adding digital video to
    future Thinkpads. I don't know if the versions coming out this summer
    will have it. I am pretty happy with my T61 (Intel graphics, I bought
    the version with Suse Linux and immediately trashed the Suse
    preinstall and loaded Ubuntu) and if I didn't have it I think I would
    hold out for a model with built-in DVI or DisplayPort. I also have
    not been able to use the T61 in dual display mode with an external
    monitor, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

  4. Re: laptop and linux ... Suggestions?

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:18:31 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

    > General Schvantzkopf writes:
    >> The reason I'm waiting for Centrino 2 is that Intel graphics suck
    >> compared to Nvidia and ATI and Lenovo only offers Linux on machines
    >> with Intel Graphics (even though Nvidia and ATI are Linux compatible
    >> and they offer Nvidia as an option on the Windows versions). I'm hoping
    >> that Centrino 2 graphics will suck less than the current Intel graphics
    >> chip.

    > The T61 Nvidia chipset uses a lot more power than the Intel chip and
    > requires restricted drivers that apparently have a lot of bugs. I'm not
    > even sure if 64 bit drivers are available. I bought the Intel graphics
    > version and it doesn't suck but I am slightly annoyed that the docking
    > station (which I didn't buy) supports dual link dvi (required for 30"
    > external displays) for the Nvidia chipset but not the Intel chipset. In
    > other regards, since I don't care about 3D graphics, I prefer the Intel
    > chipset. I would not buy NVidia unless they release sufficient specs
    > for third parties to release drivers as free source code.
    >
    > There is some talk on the Lenovo blogs about adding digital video to
    > future Thinkpads. I don't know if the versions coming out this summer
    > will have it. I am pretty happy with my T61 (Intel graphics, I bought
    > the version with Suse Linux and immediately trashed the Suse preinstall
    > and loaded Ubuntu) and if I didn't have it I think I would hold out for
    > a model with built-in DVI or DisplayPort. I also have not been able to
    > use the T61 in dual display mode with an external monitor, but maybe I'm
    > just doing something wrong.

    Centrino2 is supposed to have video support, from what I've read they are
    still debugging it which is one of the reasons that Centrino2 been
    delayed.

  5. Re: laptop and linux ... Suggestions?

    desaparecido79@googlemail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'd like to buy a new laptop (low cost around 600 euros).
    > Can you suggest me a laptop (the best one within this prize) that is
    > fully compatible with linux?
    > Everything should be work correctly (i.e., integrated web cam, suspend
    > and hibernate functions,
    > video out (this is fundamental, I usually use laptop to make
    > presentations using a projector), and so on..)
    > I see Laptop from Dell, but I cannot buy them for some reasons. (oh
    > actually if a Dell has the same caratteristics
    > of another one, but it costs about 200 euros lesser, you can suggest
    > it :-) )
    >
    > Any suggestion?
    > Can you motivate your choice?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Luca
    >
    > ps I buy a laptop only every 3 or 4 years... this is the reason why I
    > dont know which one is the best...

    Hello,

    Go to your local dealer and boot the computer with a Knoppix or any other
    live CD in it.

    Ciao @+

  6. Re: laptop and linux ... Suggestions?

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:07:34 -0700, desaparecido79 wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'd like to buy a new laptop (low cost around 600 euros). Can you
    > suggest me a laptop (the best one within this prize) that is fully
    > compatible with linux?
    > Everything should be work correctly (i.e., integrated web cam, suspend
    > and hibernate functions,
    > video out (this is fundamental, I usually use laptop to make
    > presentations using a projector), and so on..) I see Laptop from Dell,
    > but I cannot buy them for some reasons. (oh actually if a Dell has the
    > same caratteristics of another one, but it costs about 200 euros lesser,
    > you can suggest it :-) )
    >
    > Any suggestion?
    > Can you motivate your choice?

    Several manufacturers' other than Dell or HP sell laptops with Linux pre-
    installed. Everything works. This would be your best option. Google
    for them. I have been to several web sites of these companies, but
    didn't save the links.

    You might also check out the new "mini" laptops like the eeePC from Asus,
    the Wind from MSI, the mini-PC from HP, etc. All were initially designed
    from the ground up to run Linux.

    Stef

  7. Re: laptop and linux ... Suggestions?

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:07:34 -0700 (PDT),
    desaparecido79@googlemail.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I'd like to buy a new laptop (low cost around 600 euros).
    >Can you suggest me a laptop (the best one within this prize) that is
    >fully compatible with linux?
    >Everything should be work correctly (i.e., integrated web cam, suspend
    >and hibernate functions,
    >video out (this is fundamental, I usually use laptop to make
    >presentations using a projector), and so on..)
    >I see Laptop from Dell, but I cannot buy them for some reasons. (oh
    >actually if a Dell has the same caratteristics
    >of another one, but it costs about 200 euros lesser, you can suggest
    >it :-) )
    >
    >Any suggestion?
    >Can you motivate your choice?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Luca
    >
    >ps I buy a laptop only every 3 or 4 years... this is the reason why I
    >dont know which one is the best...

    http://linux.dell.com/
    http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Products/Consumer
    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi.../24/15994.aspx
    http://www.dell.com/content/products...eries_nb?s=bsd

    Hope that helps.

    --William Leara

  8. Re: laptop and linux ... Suggestions?

    On 22 Jul, 14:07, desaparecid...@googlemail.com wrote:

    > Any suggestion?

    I trust these people: http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/laptops/

    http://efficientpc.co.uk/laptops/ have had positive magazine reviews