Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought - Portable

This is a discussion on Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought - Portable ; I'm about to get a new laptop. I'm leaning towards the T61 with a 15.4" 1650x1080 screen. Lenovo only offers Intel Graphics on the SuSE version, to get Nvidia I'd have to hold my nose and get one with Windows. ...

  1. Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    I'm about to get a new laptop. I'm leaning towards the T61 with a 15.4"
    1650x1080 screen. Lenovo only offers Intel Graphics on the SuSE version,
    to get Nvidia I'd have to hold my nose and get one with Windows.

    I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the performance?
    Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's memory?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:46:49 -0500, General Schvantzkopf
    wrote:

    >I'm about to get a new laptop. I'm leaning towards the T61 with a 15.4"
    >1650x1080 screen. Lenovo only offers Intel Graphics on the SuSE version,
    >to get Nvidia I'd have to hold my nose and get one with Windows.
    >
    >I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    >option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the performance?
    >Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's memory?

    General,

    I don't have much to contribute, but I'm a StinkPad fan: R40, T43, and
    T61. Pretty sure the Intel option uses shared memory.

    My T61 is a 14.1 WXGA+ widescreen. It's a nice little package. Out
    of some kind of strange vanity I went with the NVidia option even
    though I'm not a gamer or graphics guy. My impression is that the
    discrete graphic option is a battery hog. the T61 only runs 2.5 hrs
    or so. The T43 could make almost 5 hrs on a good day.

    IMHO you should go with the biggest battery available. 9 cell I think
    for the 15.4, 6 or 7 for the 14.1 (but there's a 9 cell in the pipe
    for the 14.1 IIRC).

    As long as I'm answering questions you didn't ask about machines you
    arent interested in - if anyone goes with the 14.1, go with WXGA+.
    The WXGA option has 800 vertical pixels. Not enough when a VMWare
    guest window is up. The VMWare window decoration squeezes the guest
    a little too much. Forces window scrolling or a really nasty small
    resolution for the guest. Even the WXGA+ 900 is a little tight.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  3. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:46:49 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > I'm about to get a new laptop. I'm leaning towards the T61 with a 15.4"
    > 1650x1080 screen. Lenovo only offers Intel Graphics on the SuSE version,
    > to get Nvidia I'd have to hold my nose and get one with Windows.
    >
    > I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    > option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the
    > performance? Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's
    > memory?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I don't have that model, but I run several computers including a Gateway
    laptop with Intel video. The Intel driver, as of the last year or so, is
    fine. I have zero issues - completely satisfied. Prior to that, the only
    solution on my laptop was a proprietary driver from Xi Graphics -
    otherwise I could not get anything beyond 800x600 (native res is 1024x768).

  4. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    On Sat, 24 May 2008 07:36:13 -0700, Bill Waddington wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:46:49 -0500, General Schvantzkopf
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm about to get a new laptop. I'm leaning towards the T61 with a 15.4"
    >>1650x1080 screen. Lenovo only offers Intel Graphics on the SuSE version,
    >>to get Nvidia I'd have to hold my nose and get one with Windows.
    >>
    >>I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    >>option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the
    >>performance? Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's
    >>memory?

    > General,
    >
    > I don't have much to contribute, but I'm a StinkPad fan: R40, T43, and
    > T61. Pretty sure the Intel option uses shared memory.
    >
    > My T61 is a 14.1 WXGA+ widescreen. It's a nice little package. Out of
    > some kind of strange vanity I went with the NVidia option even though
    > I'm not a gamer or graphics guy. My impression is that the discrete
    > graphic option is a battery hog. the T61 only runs 2.5 hrs or so. The
    > T43 could make almost 5 hrs on a good day.
    >
    > IMHO you should go with the biggest battery available. 9 cell I think
    > for the 15.4, 6 or 7 for the 14.1 (but there's a 9 cell in the pipe for
    > the 14.1 IIRC).
    >
    > As long as I'm answering questions you didn't ask about machines you
    > arent interested in - if anyone goes with the 14.1, go with WXGA+. The
    > WXGA option has 800 vertical pixels. Not enough when a VMWare guest
    > window is up. The VMWare window decoration squeezes the guest a little
    > too much. Forces window scrolling or a really nasty small resolution
    > for the guest. Even the WXGA+ 900 is a little tight.
    >
    > Bill

    I don't care about battery life, I always use my laptop in places that
    have plugs. I do care about available memory. I use VMs on my laptops and
    I do simulations and FPGA place and routes. Which brings up another issue
    which is about sufficient cooling. My current laptop is a Compaq with a
    single core A64. It doesn't have sufficient cooling for it's processor
    which forces me to set the clock speed down when I do simulations, if I
    don't it will overheat. I'm planning on getting the T9300 with 4G, does
    anyone run their T61 with the processor running at 100% for long periods?

  5. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    > option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the performance?
    > Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's memory?

    I've got an R61i with similar specs to the T61 with Intel graphics:
    Mobile Intel GM965 Express (X3100)
    2GB RAM
    No video memory, just shared memory.

    I'm very happy with it. Runs the 3D wizardry of compiz-fusion with no
    problems. I don't do any hard-core gaming. But it plays very well things
    like tuxracer and those shoot-em-up games with the quake engine.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  6. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    > It doesn't have sufficient cooling for it's processor
    > which forces me to set the clock speed down when I do simulations, if I
    > don't it will overheat. I'm planning on getting the T9300 with 4G, does
    > anyone run their T61 with the processor running at 100% for long periods?

    Mine has the T5250 with 2G, don't know how much they differ, but I run
    Seti, it uses both cores 99% - 100% for 14-16 hours per day. I don't
    ever see more than 48-50 Celsius.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:56:21 +0000, johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >> I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    >> option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the
    >> performance? Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's
    >> memory?

    > I've got an R61i with similar specs to the T61 with Intel graphics:
    > Mobile Intel GM965 Express (X3100)
    > 2GB RAM
    > No video memory, just shared memory.
    >
    > I'm very happy with it. Runs the 3D wizardry of compiz-fusion with no
    > problems. I don't do any hard-core gaming. But it plays very well things
    > like tuxracer and those shoot-em-up games with the quake engine.

    Thanks to all who've answered.

  8. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    wrote:

    >I'm about to get a new laptop. I'm leaning towards the T61 with a 15.4"
    >1650x1080 screen. Lenovo only offers Intel Graphics on the SuSE version,
    >to get Nvidia I'd have to hold my nose and get one with Windows.
    >
    >I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    >option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the performance?
    >Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's memory?

    General,

    I was perusing "letters" in the April 2008 Linux Journal today and
    came across one from Jon Lewis. He says that the driver for the X3100
    graphics hardware doesn't (no longer?) includes virtual panning.

    He refers to this:
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...il/023841.html

    There may be a "letter" link on the LJ site, but I haven't found
    it w/a quick look.

    No clue whether you care, but I thought I should mention it.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  9. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:46:49 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:

    > I'm about to get a new laptop. I'm leaning towards the T61 with a 15.4"
    > 1650x1080 screen. Lenovo only offers Intel Graphics on the SuSE version,
    > to get Nvidia I'd have to hold my nose and get one with Windows.
    >
    > I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    > option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the
    > performance? Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's
    > memory?

    Don't go that way. The performance of the Intel video is not in any way
    comparable to the Nvidia. My X60 (ultra-portable) has a low-resolution
    screen (1024x768) but its video performance is slow. In 3D it is slow as
    well (under 1000 fps in glxgears). The video (945GM) does have 256 MB of
    it's own memory though.

    --
    Vladimir

  10. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    General Schvantzkopf writes:
    > I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    > option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the performance?
    > Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's memory?

    I have a T61 with Intel graphics 1680x1050. Unfortunately the
    1920x1280 screen is only available with Nvidia graphics that I didn't
    want. The Intel graphics performance is fine as far as I can tell,
    but I don't run shooter games or anything like that. I prefer the
    taller 1600x1200 screen of my old A21p but that's just because of the
    screen size and shape, not the graphics chip.

  11. Re: Intel graphics on the Lenovo T61, Opinions sought

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 21:38:29 +0000, Vladimir Florinski wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:46:49 -0500, General Schvantzkopf wrote:
    >
    >> I'm about to get a new laptop. I'm leaning towards the T61 with a 15.4"
    >> 1650x1080 screen. Lenovo only offers Intel Graphics on the SuSE
    >> version, to get Nvidia I'd have to hold my nose and get one with
    >> Windows.
    >>
    >> I'm interested in hearing from T61 users who have the Intel graphics
    >> option with a high resolution screen. Are you happy with the
    >> performance? Does it have it's on RAM or is it sharing the processor's
    >> memory?
    >>

    > Don't go that way. The performance of the Intel video is not in any way
    > comparable to the Nvidia. My X60 (ultra-portable) has a low-resolution
    > screen (1024x768) but its video performance is slow. In 3D it is slow as
    > well (under 1000 fps in glxgears). The video (945GM) does have 256 MB of
    > it's own memory though.

    I've decided to wait for Centrino2 which will be available in Aug. I
    figure the next generation of Intel graphics will be enough better then
    the current version that it will reach the good enough stage. The
    Centrino2 will also have 802.11n and WiMax. I'm not desperate for an
    upgrade, my current laptop is an A64.

+ Reply to Thread