Linux live CD with VMware Player pre-installed? - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux live CD with VMware Player pre-installed? - Portable ; Does anyone know of a bootable Linux live CD that already has VMware Player installed? Damned if I can dredge one up in Google..... jim...

  1. Linux live CD with VMware Player pre-installed?

    Does anyone know of a bootable Linux live CD that already has VMware Player
    installed?

    Damned if I can dredge one up in Google.....

    jim

  2. Re: Linux live CD with VMware Player pre-installed?

    jim wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a bootable Linux live CD that already has VMware Player
    > installed?

    As far as I know, no, but you can always make your own LiveCD, there are
    quite many HOWTOs for that.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Linux live CD with VMware Player pre-installed?

    jim wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a bootable Linux live CD that already has VMware Player
    > installed?
    >
    > Damned if I can dredge one up in Google.....
    >
    > jim

    Look for "geexbox". It's a small dedicated program devoted ONLY to
    media playback. It's out of Quebec so I know at least English and French
    languages are supported.

    Later
    Mike

  4. Re: Linux live CD with VMware Player pre-installed?

    On Sat, 17 May 2008 13:55:27 -0400, jim wrote:

    > Does anyone know of a bootable Linux live CD that already has VMware
    > Player installed?
    >
    > Damned if I can dredge one up in Google.....
    >
    > jim

    I doubt that one exists however it would be easy to do that with Fedora9.
    F9 has added a couple of features that make custom LiveCDs really easy.
    If you want a CD or DVD you can create a custom image that includes
    anything you want. If you use a USB FLASH drive it's even easier. You
    install the F9 LiveCD image using the overlay feature. Overlays make the
    USB LiveCD act like a normal Fedora system, i.e. you can install
    additional software, create user accounts, and modify the system just as
    you would if it was on a hard drive. You would install VMware just like
    you would on a regular Fedora box. I don't know if VMware 1.0.5 will run
    on a 2.6.25 kernel but the beta of VMware Server 2.0 does, I have VMware
    Server 2.0 running on a couple of F9 systems.

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Live

  5. Re: Linux live CD with VMware Player pre-installed?

    "General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
    news:RqOdnV6pcu0qLa_VnZ2dnUVZ_qXinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > On Sat, 17 May 2008 13:55:27 -0400, jim wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a bootable Linux live CD that already has VMware
    >> Player installed?
    >>
    >> Damned if I can dredge one up in Google.....
    >>
    >> jim

    > I doubt that one exists however it would be easy to do that with Fedora9.
    > F9 has added a couple of features that make custom LiveCDs really easy.
    > If you want a CD or DVD you can create a custom image that includes
    > anything you want. If you use a USB FLASH drive it's even easier. You
    > install the F9 LiveCD image using the overlay feature. Overlays make the
    > USB LiveCD act like a normal Fedora system, i.e. you can install
    > additional software, create user accounts, and modify the system just as
    > you would if it was on a hard drive. You would install VMware just like
    > you would on a regular Fedora box. I don't know if VMware 1.0.5 will run
    > on a 2.6.25 kernel but the beta of VMware Server 2.0 does, I have VMware
    > Server 2.0 running on a couple of F9 systems.
    >
    > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Live

    But didn't RedHat abandon the desktop? I am not at all comfortable using
    desktop software from a vendor that just gave up the fight for the desktop.

    jim

+ Reply to Thread