linux for beginners - Portable

This is a discussion on linux for beginners - Portable ; Hi ya all!!! I'd like to install linux for the first time! Which one to take? What to be careful about? What about hardware support? What about the software that comes with the distribution? Do you think for a start ...

  1. linux for beginners

    Hi ya all!!!

    I'd like to install linux for the first time!

    Which one to take? What to be careful about?
    What about hardware support? What about the software that comes with the
    distribution?

    Do you think for a start it would be wiser to try out the portable one to
    see if everything works?

    Tnx!

  2. Re: linux for beginners

    On 2008-04-19, Marlock wrote:
    > I'd like to install linux for the first time!
    >
    > Which one to take? What to be careful about?
    > What about hardware support? What about the software that comes with the
    > distribution?
    >
    > Do you think for a start it would be wiser to try out the portable one to
    > see if everything works?

    Well, if you just want to try linux, you don't need to get a portable
    that uses linux. You can take "live-cd", for example Knoppix, and boot
    your computer with that CD. Then you'll see if linux can handle all of
    your hardware and works as you expect. Then you can try to install some
    distribution. One of the simplest is PCLinuxOS (I believe they also
    provide live-cd). Many people like Ubuntu or Kubuntu. After all it
    becomes just the matter of taste.

  3. Re: linux for beginners

    On 19 Apr, 12:06, "Marlock" wrote:
    > Hi ya all!!!
    >
    > I'd like to install linux for the first time!
    >
    > Which one to take? What to be careful about?
    > What about hardware support? What about the software that comes with the
    > distribution?
    >
    > Do you think for a start it would be wiser to try out the portable one to
    > see if everything works?

    The latest Ubuntu is very good, and still available as a "live" CD so
    you can try before installing. There is also some wierd app you can
    copy to windows, and then boot Linux-in-a-box as well.

    The installer will re-size an existing windows partition and make a
    dual-boot machine if you want a safety net.

    I use Ubuntu at home and it is fine for everything I need.

+ Reply to Thread