USB mouse on Dell latitude D600 not working - Portable

This is a discussion on USB mouse on Dell latitude D600 not working - Portable ; Hi All, I installed the kubuntu 7.10 on the Dell latitude D600. Everything is working fine, except, I bought a new USB wired optical mouse and pluged it on and nothing happening ... Seems that the mouse is not recognized ...

  1. USB mouse on Dell latitude D600 not working

    Hi All,

    I installed the kubuntu 7.10 on the Dell latitude D600.
    Everything is working fine, except, I bought a new USB
    wired optical mouse and pluged it on and nothing happening ...
    Seems that the mouse is not recognized by the system.
    When I move the mouse, nothing on screen.
    Checked already the bios and USB Emulation is enabled.

    The optical light under the mouse is on too.
    It is generic USB mouse ...

    Any suggestion will be welcomed.

    Thanks,
    Abdon.

  2. Re: USB mouse on Dell latitude D600 not working

    razafi@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I installed the kubuntu 7.10 on the Dell latitude D600.
    > Everything is working fine, except, I bought a new USB
    > wired optical mouse and pluged it on and nothing happening ...
    > Seems that the mouse is not recognized by the system.
    > When I move the mouse, nothing on screen.
    > Checked already the bios and USB Emulation is enabled.
    >
    > The optical light under the mouse is on too.
    > It is generic USB mouse ...
    >
    > Any suggestion will be welcomed.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Abdon.

    What device is in your xorg.config for the mouse? I think that
    /dev/input/event* should work automatically, otherwise here's my
    usb def:

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "USBMouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    # Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    IIRC, it will only work if it's plugged in when X starts.

    Jerry

  3. Re: USB mouse on Dell latitude D600 not working

    Thanks Jeff for your reply ...

    I tried to configure as you suggested without
    any success. The mouse is NOT still working.

    Any hint will be welcomed.
    Don.

    See the attached files :
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log

    ------------------------- xorg.conf

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver "synaptics"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "USBMouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    # Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

    ------------------------- Xorg.0.log
    X Window System Version 1.3.0
    Release Date: 19 April 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
    Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server
    2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12ubuntu8.3)
    Current Operating System: Linux dell 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb
    12 07:42:25 UTC 2008 i686
    Build Date: 18 January 2008
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    Module Loader present
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Mar 23 15:51:21 2008
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    (==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
    (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
    (**) | |-->Monitor "Generic Monitor"
    (**) | |-->Device "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 [Mobility FireGL
    9000]"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Configured Mouse"
    (**) |-->Input Device "Synaptics Touchpad"
    (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
    Entry deleted from font path.
    (==) FontPath set to:
    /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
    /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,

    (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
    (II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
    ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.7

    (**) Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
    (**) Option "CorePointer"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    (**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    (**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
    (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    (**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
    (**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 9
    (**) Configured Mouse: Sensitivity: 1
    Atom 4, CARD32 4, unsigned long 4
    (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.6 (1406)
    (--) Synaptics Touchpad auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event4
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
    (**) Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
    (--) Synaptics Touchpad touchpad found
    (**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    (**) Synaptics Touchpad: always reports core events
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Synaptics Touchpad" (type:
    MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type:
    MOUSE)
    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type:
    KEYBOARD)
    Synaptics DeviceInit called
    SynapticsCtrl called.
    (II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
    Synaptics DeviceOn called
    (--) Synaptics Touchpad auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event4
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
    (--) Synaptics Touchpad touchpad found
    enable montype: 2

  4. Re: USB mouse on Dell latitude D600 not working

    Don staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I tried to configure as you suggested without any success. The mouse
    > is [still NOT] working.
    >
    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    > Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"

    /dev/input/mice is a repeater device that reports all events for all
    connected mouse devices. This should've worked unless your USB mouse is
    speaking a non-IMPS/2 protocol or the usbhid module hasn't been loaded.
    See if that's been loaded with "lsmod | grep hid".

    > Section "InputDevice"
    > Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
    > Driver "synaptics"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

    Interesting. Does the touchpad work?

    > Identifier "USBMouse"
    > Driver "mouse"
    > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    > Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"

    Does this device file exist? Take a look. That's an old-school device
    name; modern input devices are under /dev/input. Take a look in that
    dir and see what you find. You should have one mouseN file in there for
    each mouse-like input device, unless you're not using udev. You should
    be using udev.

    > (**) Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
    > (**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
    > (--) Synaptics Touchpad auto-dev sets device to /dev/input/event4
    > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event4"
    > (--) Synaptics Touchpad touchpad found

    [snip]

    There's nothing about the mouse with identifier USBMouse in the logfile
    snippets you quoted. Either the device file doesn't exist, or you don't
    have USBMouse in your ServerLayout, or something else is going on.

    --
    Life is a persistent hallucination, Death a mere illusion.
    Taxes, however, are Objective Reality.