Vista and Linux on HP Pavilion dv6780el - Portable

This is a discussion on Vista and Linux on HP Pavilion dv6780el - Portable ; Hi, I just bought an HP Pavilion dv6780el which comes preinstalled with Vista Home Premium. I don't have anything against Vista, but I use Unix at work and I'd like to do some practice at home. Also, Linux is way ...

  1. Vista and Linux on HP Pavilion dv6780el

    Hi,

    I just bought an HP Pavilion dv6780el which comes preinstalled with
    Vista Home Premium. I don't have anything against Vista, but I use
    Unix at work and I'd like to do some practice at home. Also, Linux is
    way faster than Vista and I'd like to burn some rubber with my new
    laptop :-) Is it possible to make Linux coexist with Vista? Will the
    laptop's peripherals work with Linux? Thanks in advance,

    Best regards,

    deltaquattro

  2. Re: Vista and Linux on HP Pavilion dv6780el

    deltaquattro staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I just bought an HP Pavilion dv6780el which comes preinstalled with
    > Vista Home Premium. I use Unix at work and I'd like to do some
    > practice at home. Is it possible to make Linux coexist with Vista?

    Absolutely. It shouldn't even be that difficult, just resize the 'Doze
    partition with ntfsresize or any of the pointy-clicky frontends to
    ntfsresize, like the gparted LiveCD. Many distros include ntfsresize
    and some sort of GUI partition resizer on their install CDs now.

    > Will the laptop's peripherals work with Linux?

    Unknown. The model# you mentioned doesn't have a page up on
    tuxmobil.org , but try http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575750
    for a page describing an install on an HP dv6636NR. A recent distro
    will be your best bet if this laptop was just introduced a month or 2
    ago. When you've figured it out, write something up and submit it to
    tuxmobil.org so that others can benefit. HTH,

    --
    "Assembly of God". Haven't you ever wondered what goes on in a place
    like that? What kinds of parts does God need? --Slacquer

  3. Re: Vista and Linux on HP Pavilion dv6780el

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 04:28:11 -0700, deltaquattro wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just bought an HP Pavilion dv6780el which comes preinstalled with
    > Vista Home Premium. I don't have anything against Vista, but I use Unix
    > at work and I'd like to do some practice at home. Also, Linux is way
    > faster than Vista and I'd like to burn some rubber with my new laptop
    > :-) Is it possible to make Linux coexist with Vista? Will the laptop's
    > peripherals work with Linux? Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > deltaquattro

    Linux should work just fine. The WiFI card is Intel which is supported in
    the kernel and the graphics is Nvidia which has a good 2D driver in the
    kernel and an excellent binary driver from Nvidia. Use a recent distro
    like Fedora 8. You can resize the NTFS partition from the Fedora 8 Live
    CD.

+ Reply to Thread