I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 and I want to install linux...HELP - Portable

This is a discussion on I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 and I want to install linux...HELP - Portable ; Hello. I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 with a processor AMD Turin X 64 TL-60 and I want to install linux in this laptop. It comes with VISTA and I was told it would be difficult to find the ...

  1. I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 and I want to install linux...HELP

    Hello.

    I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 with a processor AMD Turin X 64
    TL-60 and I want to install linux in this laptop. It comes with VISTA
    and I was told it would be difficult to find the drivers for LINUX
    for all the stuff my laptop has, so I would like to know if someone
    could help me. I have never used LINUX before, but I know it is much
    better and can be found in 64 bits version.

    Actually I want to make several partitions in my laptop and leave one
    of them with vista so I can install windows-based programs and use
    them there.

    Well, I will appreciate if someone could give me some orientation.

    Best regards

    Alberto Jaume

  2. Re: I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 and I want to install linux... HELP

    Jaume staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 with a processor AMD Turin X 64
    > TL-60 and I want to install linux [on] this laptop. I have never used
    > Linux before

    I would say the first thing to do is to get some experience on a machine
    with non-weird hardware before trying to install Linux on a machine with
    weird hardware. Almost all laptops have weird hardware. And installing
    Linux on a really new machine is *NOT* n00b-friendly. There are too
    many things that can bite you in the ass. If a laptop's been out for 6
    months, though, almost all of the bugs will have been worked around and
    you should be able to find directions with google.

    However, Googling "inspiron 1526 linux" says that Dell was offering that
    machine with Ubuntu on it. If Ubuntu works, the prognosis is good for
    most modern distros to install and run most things without serious
    problems. The Radeon Xpress 1270 may work; it's not mentioned in "man
    radeon" though. The built-in CF/SD/memory stick reader may not work
    immediately. The 802.11 may require ndiswrapper. No one's posted a
    page on the 1526 on tuxmobil.org yet. If you still want to do this,
    find yourself a local Linux guru and offer him beer and pizza in
    exchange for help.

    > Actually I want to make several partitions [on] my laptop and leave one
    > of them with vista

    If your distro's installer doesn't offer to shrink the 'Doze partition,
    burn yourself a copy of the gparted LiveCD, and use that LiveCD to
    shrink the 'Doze partition. HTH,

    --
    No man is an island, but then no man is a potato salad, either.
    =======Hire me! http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/~mhgraham/resume/

  3. Re: I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 and I want to install linux...HELP

    Dances with crows,

    Thank you for your help! I will try to find someone in my hometown who
    knows about linux. I will check more about Ubuntu and will see if I am
    able to install it recognizing the hardware.

    I will post later if I succeed or not in recognizing all the hardware
    of my laptop.

    Cheers!

    Alberto

    On 3 mar, 12:33, Dances With Crows wrote:
    > Jaume staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    >
    > > I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 with a processor AMD Turin X 64
    > > TL-60 and I want to install linux [on] this laptop. *I have never used
    > > Linux before

    > I would say the first thing to do is to get some experience on a machine
    > with non-weird hardware before trying to install Linux on a machine with
    > weird hardware. *Almost all laptops have weird hardware. *And installing
    > Linux on a really new machine is *NOT* n00b-friendly. *There are too
    > many things that can bite you in the ass. *If a laptop's been out for 6
    > months, though, almost all of the bugs will have been worked around and
    > you should be able to find directions with google.
    >
    > However, Googling "inspiron 1526 linux" says that Dell was offering that
    > machine with Ubuntu on it. *If Ubuntu works, the prognosis is good for
    > most modern distros to install and run most things without serious
    > problems. *The Radeon Xpress 1270 may work; it's not mentioned in "man
    > radeon" though. *The built-in CF/SD/memory stick reader may not work
    > immediately. *The 802.11 may require ndiswrapper. *No one's posted a
    > page on the 1526 on tuxmobil.org yet. *If you still want to do this,
    > find yourself a local Linux guru and offer him beer and pizza in
    > exchange for help. *
    >
    > > Actually I want to make several partitions [on] my laptop and leave one
    > > of them with vista

    > If your distro's installer doesn't offer to shrink the 'Doze partition,
    > burn yourself a copy of the gparted LiveCD, and use that LiveCD to
    > shrink the 'Doze partition. *HTH,
    >
    > --
    > * * No man is an island, but then no man is a potato salad, either.
    > =======Hire me! *http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/~mhgraham/resume/
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

  4. Re: I just bought a Dell Inspiron 1526 and I want to install linux...HELP

    On 7 Mar, 19:05, Jaume wrote:
    > Dances with crows,
    >
    > Thank you for your help! I will try to find someone in my hometown who
    > knows about linux. I will check more about Ubuntu and will see if I am
    > able to install it recognizing the hardware.

    You might find http://www.linux.org/groups/ helpful, with some luck
    thrown in...

+ Reply to Thread