What to put on a Pentium 100 with 24 meg of Ram? - Portable

This is a discussion on What to put on a Pentium 100 with 24 meg of Ram? - Portable ; To be honest, this is for my 1 year old daughter. She loves to slam on the keyboard of my notebook. She finds some interesting shortcuts (I use Xp :-) but I am not fond of these (she shuts down ...

  1. What to put on a Pentium 100 with 24 meg of Ram?

    To be honest, this is for my 1 year old daughter. She loves to slam on
    the keyboard of my notebook. She finds some interesting shortcuts (I
    use Xp :-) but I am not fond of these (she shuts down the machine I
    dont know how).
    Anyway, I have an old laptop sitting in my closet. It's a Pentium 100,
    24 meg of Ram and 800 meg of hard-drive. It runs on a french Windows
    95 and has never given me any trouble (really I used it intensively
    for 8 years 1996 - 2003 without a blue screen of death!!!) except that
    my Mp3 player has 10 times its capacity...
    Anyway, I used to tweak my windows in my younger days and I've always
    thought about switching to a linux system since I basically don't use
    any M$ products (besides media player, easily replacable), I thought
    this could be a good opportunity for me to learn. I want to install a
    very light system and I'm still wondering if there are any program
    that makes some cool things on the screen when one bangs the
    keyboard :-) (windows normally does it but my old Win 95 is pretty
    robust)

    Thanks for any indications or hints

  2. Re: What to put on a Pentium 100 with 24 meg of Ram?

    On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 03:19:34 -0800, gemini1096 wrote:

    > To be honest, this is for my 1 year old daughter. She loves to slam on
    > the keyboard of my notebook. She finds some interesting shortcuts (I use
    > Xp :-) but I am not fond of these (she shuts down the machine I dont
    > know how).
    > Anyway, I have an old laptop sitting in my closet. It's a Pentium 100,
    > 24 meg of Ram and 800 meg of hard-drive. It runs on a french Windows 95
    > and has never given me any trouble (really I used it intensively for 8
    > years 1996 - 2003 without a blue screen of death!!!) except that my Mp3
    > player has 10 times its capacity... Anyway, I used to tweak my windows
    > in my younger days and I've always thought about switching to a linux
    > system since I basically don't use any M$ products (besides media
    > player, easily replacable), I thought this could be a good opportunity
    > for me to learn. I want to install a very light system and I'm still
    > wondering if there are any program that makes some cool things on the
    > screen when one bangs the keyboard :-) (windows normally does it but my
    > old Win 95 is pretty robust)
    >
    > Thanks for any indications or hints

    You could try Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux. DSL claims it will run on
    a 486 with 16M but their recommended spec is a 200MHz Pentium with 64M.
    If you want to play around with Linux there is another alternative, the
    $200 Everex gOS system that Walmart is selling (it's available on Newegg
    also). I've tried the Everex box and it's pretty decent. It comes with an
    awful distro called gOS on it but you can easily install something else,
    I put Fedora 8 on it as well as CentOS5.1. It comes with 512M of RAM
    which is a the light side for a full distro like Fedora or Ubuntu but the
    price of a 1G DDR2 DIMM on Newegg is only $20 so for $220 you could have
    a box that does a decent job of running any distro you want. I assume
    your real objective is to play with Linux yourself, I expect that your
    daughter will be much happier with a stuffed puppy rather than Puppy
    Linux. The Everex box will allow you to experience the state of the art
    in Linux, putting DSL or Puppy on an antique machine won't do that.

  3. Re: What to put on a Pentium 100 with 24 meg of Ram?

    On Dec 11, 1:39 am, General Schvantzkopf
    wrote:

    > You could try Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux. DSL claims it will run on
    > a 486 with 16M but their recommended spec is a 200MHz Pentium with 64M.

    Thanx for the info, I'll look it up. Since this is for a toddler to
    play with, I basically don't need the machine to do anything except to
    be on :-) and maybe connect to the net so it can do something useful.

    > I assume
    > your real objective is to play with Linux yourself,

    Yeah but not quite yet. I also have my wife's old laptop. But it's a
    japanese one, so that complicates things. I don't know if there are
    any decent IMEs with Linux. This laptop isn't very new either (win 98)
    and not very powerful either (but we don't really do anything that
    requires a lot of computing power.) Our newest one will stick with its
    current Xp since I do use Sketchup and there is no Linux version of
    it...

    > I expect that your
    > daughter will be much happier with a stuffed puppy rather than Puppy
    > Linux.

    Unfortunately it's not the case. She likes boxes, drawers, soap
    bubbles and anything with buttons : remotes, phones, and my damn
    laptop. She's deleted some icons and renamed others, my only fear is
    that she opens Explorer and start doing some real damage :-)

    > The Everex box will allow you to experience the state of the art
    > in Linux, putting DSL or Puppy on an antique machine won't do that.

    Yeah but I'm not at this point yet. I want to start easy. I just want
    a simple machine that connects to my router, runs a browser, and show
    some pretty colors, so I could use it as an internet station in the
    kitchen to find recipes and for my daughter to slam onto until she
    gets interested in stuffed puppies...

    Many thanks

  4. Re: What to put on a Pentium 100 with 24 meg of Ram?

    I was going to say put windows 95 on't; I guess even Spanish W95 isn't all that culturally expansive. I kinda think you can get into Linux using kernels contemporary to the hardware, which would be like SuSE 5.x, which does a lot of tweaking of your /etc files to easily get hardware and i.e. DSL working, although their mechanisms and filenames have changed. Running simple window mgrs like fvwm95 are like those kernels in that they don't need lots of RAM 'n swapping, and even your typical monster programmer's 486sx machine still has awesome dmesg | less.

+ Reply to Thread