portable pda-like Linux-OS on tablet PC-like device? - Portable

This is a discussion on portable pda-like Linux-OS on tablet PC-like device? - Portable ; Hi! I am considering in buying a tablet-PC-device and run Linux on it (I've been to much in Windows in the last 2 years, have to come back to the rooooots^^). Since I want to replace my PalmOS PDAs with ...

  1. portable pda-like Linux-OS on tablet PC-like device?

    Hi!

    I am considering in buying a tablet-PC-device and run Linux on it
    (I've been to much in Windows in the last 2 years, have to come back
    to the rooooots^^).

    Since I want to replace my PalmOS PDAs with a device with big or huge
    display (well, bigger as LifeDrive and even huger than HTC Advantage
    X7500) I wanted to figure out, how I can determine a Linux to be ...
    PDA-like:

    I am looking for the device to turn on instantly - instant on without
    booting it everytime.

    Can You give me an advise in this? Can I do this with a common linux
    or do I need a special one? Or do I have to get a real PDA-device for
    the instant on feature?

    Would be nice to hear from You.

    CU, forcemaker

  2. Re: portable pda-like Linux-OS on tablet PC-like device?

    On 27 Oct, 17:34, forcemaker wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am considering in buying a tablet-PC-device and run Linux on it
    > (I've been to much in Windows in the last 2 years, have to come back
    > to the rooooots^^).

    Well, there is the Pepper Pad, although application support is poor
    and it lacks interfaces.
    Then there are the Archos devices - the 430 has some PDA like features
    and can act as a host to external USB devices.

    Neither of them are, well err.. wonderful. But both are fun.

  3. Re: portable pda-like Linux-OS on tablet PC-like device?

    Am 27.10.2007 19:34, forcemaker schrieb:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am considering in buying a tablet-PC-device and run Linux on it
    > (I've been to much in Windows in the last 2 years, have to come back
    > to the rooooots^^).
    >
    > Can You give me an advise in this? Can I do this with a common linux
    > or do I need a special one? Or do I have to get a real PDA-device for
    > the instant on feature?

    Why, it this is currently discussed in a parallel thread starting from:

    From: Peter Flynn
    Newsgroups: comp.sys.handhelds,comp.os.linux.portable
    Subject: Recent Linux PDA?
    Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 21:50:56 +0100

    VR

  4. Re: portable pda-like Linux-OS on tablet PC-like device?

    forcemaker wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am considering in buying a tablet-PC-device and run Linux on it
    > (I've been to much in Windows in the last 2 years, have to come back
    > to the rooooots^^).
    >
    > Since I want to replace my PalmOS PDAs with a device with big or huge
    > display (well, bigger as LifeDrive and even huger than HTC Advantage
    > X7500) I wanted to figure out, how I can determine a Linux to be ...
    > PDA-like:

    ATM I'm using a Nokia 770. It's a nice internet tablet with a 800x480
    display. You might want to look into the new Nokia N810 which also has
    an integrated webcam, gps receiver and slide-down keyboard. The keyboard
    is very nice, because now you can compile your software without having
    to worry about the XKBD compatibility for the onscreen keyboard.

    > I am looking for the device to turn on instantly - instant on without
    > booting it everytime.

    Well... The nokia does have a decent standby time, provided you switch
    off Wifi an bluetooth. And when the displays switches itself off, the
    standby time can last a few days.

    > Can You give me an advise in this? Can I do this with a common linux
    > or do I need a special one? Or do I have to get a real PDA-device for
    > the instant on feature?

    The Nokia runs Maemo, which is a trimmed down debian with a nice
    customized matchbox interface. Afaik, that's the only linux available
    for it. But I'm trying to compile my own little bootstrap with CLFS.

    > Would be nice to hear from You.
    >
    > CU, forcemaker

+ Reply to Thread