MemoryStick support - Portable

This is a discussion on MemoryStick support - Portable ; I've got an Asus M6Ne currently running kernel 2.6.22.1. I've been using the sdricoh_cs driver to access SD cards on the built-in Ricoh card reader. But it doesn't seem to do anything for MemoryStick cards. What driver is needed to ...

  1. MemoryStick support

    I've got an Asus M6Ne currently running kernel 2.6.22.1. I've been
    using the sdricoh_cs driver to access SD cards on the built-in Ricoh
    card reader. But it doesn't seem to do anything for MemoryStick cards.
    What driver is needed to access MemorySticks?

  2. Re: MemoryStick support

    > I've got an Asus M6Ne currently running kernel 2.6.22.1. I've been using
    > the sdricoh_cs driver to access SD cards on the built-in Ricoh card
    > reader. But it doesn't seem to do anything for MemoryStick cards. What
    > driver is needed to access MemorySticks?

    usbcore
    ohci_hcd (or uhci_hcd)
    ehci_hcd
    sg
    scsi_mod
    sd_mod
    sr_mod
    usb-storage

    Put all of those in your /etc/modules so they load at boot and your stick
    should show up in /proc/partitions. I've had instances where loading
    them manually after the fact doesn't quite register the device for some
    reason. Perhaps there's a certain order to their insertion. Putting
    them in /etc/modules seems to fix that issue. Or maybe I just got the
    order correct in /etc/modules. YMMV

    The stick should show up as /dev/sda in /proc/partitions. Or some other /
    dev/sd? depending on your system/distro configuration. sfdisk -l /dev/
    sd? should verify that it matches the specs/expectations of your stick.
    Module names may vary depending on your kernel version, particularly for
    the ?hci modules. Your machine should only support ohci or uhci, not
    both. lspci -v should list which your usb controllers expects.

    HTH

  3. Re: MemoryStick support

    On Aug 9, 3:34 am, Shadow_7 wrote:
    > > I've got an Asus M6Ne currently running kernel 2.6.22.1. I've been using
    > > the sdricoh_cs driver to access SD cards on the built-in Ricoh card
    > > reader. But it doesn't seem to do anything for MemoryStick cards. What
    > > driver is needed to access MemorySticks?

    > usbcore

    > HTH

    Thanks for the reply, but this laptop's memory card slot is a PCMCIA
    device, not a USB device. As I already mentioned, it uses a Ricoh
    controller. The slot is supposed to support SD/MMC/MS etc. I've
    already tried the ide-cs driver, which is what works for CF cards in
    the PCMCIA slot, but it didn't do anything for MS in the memory card
    slot.

  4. Re: MemoryStick support

    hyc wrote:
    > I've got an Asus M6Ne currently running kernel 2.6.22.1. I've been
    > using the sdricoh_cs driver to access SD cards on the built-in Ricoh
    > card reader. But it doesn't seem to do anything for MemoryStick cards.
    > What driver is needed to access MemorySticks?

    I'm only guessing now, but maybe the memorystick is placed on another lun
    than lun 0. If so, it might help to do "rescan-scsi-bus.sh -l". Depending
    on your distribution the script might be called something else like only
    rescan-scsi-bus.

    regards Henrik
    root@localhost postmaster@localhost

  5. Re: MemoryStick support

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 01:31:34 -0700, hyc wrote:

    > I've got an Asus M6Ne currently running kernel 2.6.22.1. I've been using
    > the sdricoh_cs driver to access SD cards on the built-in Ricoh card
    > reader. But it doesn't seem to do anything for MemoryStick cards. What
    > driver is needed to access MemorySticks?

    This is an early development driver and, while it's remarkable that it
    works for SD, I would be really surprised if it can do much more than
    that. Try their mailing list, perhaps the developers are working on
    supporting other cards as well.

    --
    Vladimir

  6. Re: MemoryStick support

    hyc wrote:
    > On Aug 9, 3:34 am, Shadow_7 wrote:
    >
    >>>I've got an Asus M6Ne currently running kernel 2.6.22.1. I've been using
    >>>the sdricoh_cs driver to access SD cards on the built-in Ricoh card
    >>>reader. But it doesn't seem to do anything for MemoryStick cards. What
    >>>driver is needed to access MemorySticks?

    >>usbcore

    >>HTH

    > Thanks for the reply, but this laptop's memory card slot is a PCMCIA
    > device, not a USB device. As I already mentioned, it uses a Ricoh
    > controller. The slot is supposed to support SD/MMC/MS etc. I've
    > already tried the ide-cs driver, which is what works for CF cards in
    > the PCMCIA slot, but it didn't do anything for MS in the memory card
    > slot.

    This might help.

    T-pad 600e, SuSe 9.1 (early 2.6 kernel...IIRC 2.6.3). 64mB SmartMedia
    card in Delkin PCMCIA adapter. PCMCIA slot #2 (wifi in slot #1). Linux
    detects it, launches YAST, card mounts as hde & hde1, 62.4mB. Format
    FAT12. Card was formatted in an Olympus camera.

    This configuration autodetects USB flashdrives and opens the files in
    Konqueror. No evidence of a mount point in Kdrive.
    --
    pete

  7. Re: MemoryStick support

    hyc wrote:
    > On Aug 9, 3:34 am, Shadow_7 wrote:
    >
    >>>I've got an Asus M6Ne currently running kernel 2.6.22.1. I've been using
    >>>the sdricoh_cs driver to access SD cards on the built-in Ricoh card
    >>>reader. But it doesn't seem to do anything for MemoryStick cards. What
    >>>driver is needed to access MemorySticks?

    >>usbcore

    >>HTH

    > Thanks for the reply, but this laptop's memory card slot is a PCMCIA
    > device, not a USB device. As I already mentioned, it uses a Ricoh
    > controller. The slot is supposed to support SD/MMC/MS etc. I've
    > already tried the ide-cs driver, which is what works for CF cards in
    > the PCMCIA slot, but it didn't do anything for MS in the memory card
    > slot.

    This might help.

    T-pad 600e, SuSe 9.1 (early 2.6 kernel...IIRC 2.6.3). 64mB SmartMedia
    card in Delkin PCMCIA adapter. PCMCIA slot #2 (wifi in slot #1). Linux
    detects it, launches YAST, card mounts as hde & hde1, 62.4mB. Format
    FAT12. Card was formatted in an Olympus camera.

    This configuration autodetects USB flashdrives and opens the files in
    Konqueror. No evidence of a mount point in Kdrive.
    --
    pete

+ Reply to Thread