Well, Edward Bloch seems to have released a new version of sl-modem-
daemon for debian amd64:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/...l-modem-daemon

I'm using an Acer Aspire 5003WLMi with a Turion ML-32 processor, an
SiS ML760GX video card, 512MB RAM, an Agere systems AC'97 modem, and a
sound card I can't remember the model of. Well, I can't get the modem
to work . . . .

I've tried scanModem, got the results from that, and tried
slmodemd . . . which said that it doesn't support this kernel version.
Well, so THAT didn't work.

I can't get anything else to work. I've lost my CDs that Debian came
on, and I don't have fast enough internet access to download all the
packages for running 32-bit ELF executables on a 64-bit
processor . . . so that won't work.

Any hints, tips, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.