Install Linux on Acer Aspire 5500 - Portable

This is a discussion on Install Linux on Acer Aspire 5500 - Portable ; I want to learn to use Linux, so I want to install linux on my laptop. But the drivers I got from Acer official website are only suit for Window, as they only provide exe. setup files. Currently, I have ...

  1. Install Linux on Acer Aspire 5500

    I want to learn to use Linux, so I want to install linux on my laptop.
    But the drivers I got from Acer official website are only suit for
    Window, as they only provide exe. setup files.

    Currently, I have instal CentOS on my laptop, and it seems to provide
    some drivers, including the wireless lan. BUT, it does not provide the
    drivers for the modem (please understand that I live in South Africa,
    and most people are still using ISDN)

    I need help! does that mean I cannot use Linux OS (except) use it on
    window VM) ?

  2. Re: Install Linux on Acer Aspire 5500

    On 4 Feb 2007 02:46:43 -0800, peiyu_chao@yahoo.com.tw staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I want to learn to use Linux, so I want to install linux on my [Acer
    > Aspire 5500]. Currently, I have [installed] CentOS on my laptop, and
    > it seems to provide some drivers, including the wireless lan. BUT, it
    > does not provide the drivers for the modem. Please understand that I
    > live in South Africa, and most people are still using ISDN.

    No proper bandwidth in .za? Yuck, I thought they were moving towards
    first-world status in most areas. Anyway, there is no page for the Acer
    Aspire 5500 on tuxmobil.org , so write something up and publish it so
    that other poor bastards don't have to suffer.

    All laptops have LoseModems. Only some of the LoseModems in laptops are
    supported. Most Lucent LoseModems can be made to work, and many
    Conexant LoseModems can be made to work. So find out what kind of
    LoseModem you have by doing "/sbin/lspci | grep Modem" and posting that
    information. Someone will probably be able to tell you what to do from
    that, like "install+use slmodemd" or "install ltmodem, modprobe
    lt_serial" or "go to linuxant.com and pay $20 for their Conexant
    module". HTH,

    --
    We're standing there pounding a dead parrot on the counter, and the
    management response is to frantically swap in new counters to see if

  3. Re: Install Linux on Acer Aspire 5500

    peiyu_chao@yahoo.com.tw wrote:

    > Currently, I have instal CentOS on my laptop, and it seems to provide
    > some drivers, including the wireless lan. BUT, it does not provide the
    > drivers for the modem (please understand that I live in South Africa,
    > and most people are still using ISDN)

    have you been using an analog modem od an ISDN adapter?

+ Reply to Thread