video output on a hp pavilion ze4900 - Portable

This is a discussion on video output on a hp pavilion ze4900 - Portable ; I was wondering if there was anyway that the linux driver for the intel extreme graphics chipset could output video to a monitor through the vga port on the back. Has anyone had any luck doing this?...

  1. video output on a hp pavilion ze4900

    I was wondering if there was anyway that the linux driver for the intel
    extreme graphics chipset could output video to a monitor through the
    vga port on the back. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

  2. Re: video output on a hp pavilion ze4900

    On 2 Jan 2007 18:19:23 -0800, mic.thomason@gmail.com staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I was wondering if there was [any way] that the linux driver for the
    > intel extreme graphics chipset could output video to a monitor through
    > the vga port on the back [of my laptop, an HP ZE4900].

    This is probably doable, though I don't know precisely what you'd do as
    I don't have any machines with i810 video cards. (Intel video cards are
    inferior to nVidia and ATi cards in 3D benchcrafts, don'tcha know?) The
    first thing you should do is "man i810" and look for various options
    relating to video BIOSes and/or monitor layouts. I think
    "MonitorLayout" may be the thing you need to change. Make a copy of
    your working xorg.conf, then try various options, see what you get,
    write up what worked and what didn't so the next poor bastard with a
    ZE4900 can get it working more easily.

    I checked tuxmobil.org for info on the ZE4900, but there was only 1 page
    there, which didn't say anything about the VGA-out. Sigh. Please
    remedy that in some way, eh? HTH,

    --
    ROBERT: So how do we get the pig to stop running around?
    TRIANGLE: I think we'll have to rely on the staple gun once again.