software to synchronize laptop with server or desktop? - Portable

This is a discussion on software to synchronize laptop with server or desktop? - Portable ; Hi, using my mobile laptop and working at my office, I have to synchronize daily these two computers. And it is dangerous and important not to owerwrite an newer file or directory with an older one. Is there any software ...

  1. software to synchronize laptop with server or desktop?

    Hi,
    using my mobile laptop and working at my office, I have to synchronize daily
    these two computers. And it is dangerous and important not to owerwrite an
    newer file or directory with an older one.

    Is there any software unter Linux avaliable or perhaps a shell-script to
    automatize this task?
    SUSE-Linux 10.2, KDE

    Thank you for help!

    Christian Lee, MD
    9410 Heiden
    Switzerland

  2. Re: software to synchronize laptop with server or desktop?

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:22:14 +0100, cl wrote:

    > Hi,
    > using my mobile laptop and working at my office, I have to synchronize daily
    > these two computers. And it is dangerous and important not to owerwrite an
    > newer file or directory with an older one.
    >
    > Is there any software unter Linux avaliable or perhaps a shell-script to
    > automatize this task?
    > SUSE-Linux 10.2, KDE

    Have a look at Unison.

    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

    --
    Barry Samuels
    http://www.beenthere-donethat.org.uk - The Unofficial Guide to Great Britain

    My real email address is barry (AT) realbritain (DOT) f2s (DOT) com

  3. Re: software to synchronize laptop with server or desktop?

    "cl" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > using my mobile laptop and working at my office, I have to synchronize

    daily
    > these two computers. And it is dangerous and important not to owerwrite an
    > newer file or directory with an older one.
    >
    > Is there any software unter Linux avaliable or perhaps a shell-script to
    > automatize this task?
    > SUSE-Linux 10.2, KDE

    Try rsync.

    Regards
    a.

  4. Re: software to synchronize laptop with server or desktop?

    cl wrote:
    > Hi,
    > using my mobile laptop and working at my office, I have to synchronize daily
    > these two computers. And it is dangerous and important not to owerwrite an
    > newer file or directory with an older one.
    >
    > Is there any software unter Linux avaliable

    'man rsync', option '--update' and all other explanations and
    examples there.

    > or perhaps a shell-script to
    > automatize this task?

    Or use 'cpio'; it does not overwrite newer files by older versions
    unless '--unconditional' option is used. Use ssh when writing
    on remote instead of rsh and ~/.rhosts. If 'List' is something
    which produces a list of files to sync, terminating each name with
    '\0', something in this style should do

    List | cpio -oac0 | ssh owner@remote "(cd $target && cpio -imd)"

    but other variations are also possible.

    Michal

  5. Re: software to synchronize laptop with server or desktop?

    Michal Jaegermann wrote:

    > cl wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> using my mobile laptop and working at my office, I have to synchronize
    >> daily these two computers. And it is dangerous and important not to
    >> owerwrite an newer file or directory with an older one.
    >>
    >> Is there any software unter Linux avaliable

    > 'man rsync', option '--update' and all other explanations and
    > examples there.
    >
    >> or perhaps a shell-script to
    >> automatize this task?

    > Or use 'cpio'; it does not overwrite newer files by older versions
    > unless '--unconditional' option is used. Use ssh when writing
    > on remote instead of rsh and ~/.rhosts. If 'List' is something
    > which produces a list of files to sync, terminating each name with
    > '\0', something in this style should do
    >
    > List | cpio -oac0 | ssh owner@remote "(cd $target && cpio -imd)"
    >
    > but other variations are also possible.
    >
    > Michal

    Thanks all for help! I'll find what I am looking for.

    Christian Lee

  6. Re: software to synchronize laptop with server or desktop?

    cl writes:

    >Hi,
    >using my mobile laptop and working at my office, I have to synchronize daily
    >these two computers. And it is dangerous and important not to owerwrite an
    >newer file or directory with an older one.

    >Is there any software unter Linux avaliable or perhaps a shell-script to
    >automatize this task?
    >SUSE-Linux 10.2, KDE

    >Thank you for help!

    >Christian Lee, MD
    >9410 Heiden
    >Switzerland

    rsync?

  7. Re: software to synchronize laptop with server or desktop?

    Unruh wrote:
    > >using my mobile laptop and working at my office, I have to synchronize daily
    > >these two computers. And it is dangerous and important not to owerwrite an
    > >newer file or directory with an older one.

    > rsync?

    And if rsync is too much hassle - e.g. when files are frequently edited
    on both machines have a look at unison:

    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

    cu
    Philipp

    --
    Dr. Philipp Pagel Tel. +49-8161-71 2131
    Dept. of Genome Oriented Bioinformatics Fax. +49-8161-71 2186

+ Reply to Thread