Re: Laptop backlight not turning off... - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: Laptop backlight not turning off... - Portable ; Jules wrote: > > I'm going through the process of getting Slackware set up on a Dell > Inspiron 2200 at the moment. > > One thing I've found is that the backlight refuses to turn off; after a > ...

  1. Re: Laptop backlight not turning off...

    Jules wrote:

    > I'm going through the process of getting Slackware set up on a Dell
    > Inspiron 2200 at the moment.
    >
    > One thing I've found is that the backlight refuses to turn off; after a
    > certain amount of time the display will blank, but it seems that the
    > backlight never switches itself off (even with the lid closed).
    >
    > I'm not entirely sure which part of Linux should be responsible for this
    > (ACPI, X Windows, or something else), or even if it's a Linux problem at
    > all (i.e. is it Linux's responsibility to disable the backlight when the
    > lid's closed or after a certain period of inactivity - or is that entirely
    > a hardware thing?)
    >
    > The 'change brightness' key combination for the laptop (Fn and up/down
    > cursor) does work, but it doesn't allow me to turn the backlight off
    > completely (but does at least suggest that low-level software access to
    > the backlight hardware is working!)
    >
    > Any pointers as to how to set it up how I want? (I'm still thinking about
    > suspend/hibernate options, but at the very least I'd like the backlight to
    > go off when the lid's closed!)
    >
    > System is Slackware 11, kernel updated to 2.6.18.3 (ACPI enabled), Xorg
    > 6.9.0 and the video chipset's an Intel 915GM.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jules

    I have a Latitude C600. I had similiar problems turning the backlight off.
    Assuming you're using X, try adding the this to the screen section of
    xorg.conf:

    Option "PM" # power management
    # first blank the screen, then turn off backlight 1 min later
    Option "BlankTime" "11" # doesn't turn off backlight
    # Option "StandbyTime" "10" # doesn't turn off backlight
    Option "OffTime" "12" # Turns off backlight

    and
    Option "DPMS"
    to your monitor section.

    You might also try issuing the command
    xset dpms force off
    from an xterm.

    Jerry

  2. Re: Laptop backlight not turning off...

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 21:23:05 +0000, Jerry Peters wrote:
    > I have a Latitude C600. I had similiar problems turning the backlight off.
    > Assuming you're using X, try adding the this to the screen section of
    > xorg.conf:
    > [snip]

    Fantastic - that worked perfectly!

    many thanks

    Jules

    --
    we've fallen off the silly boat into a sea of ridiculousness!

+ Reply to Thread