What OS to run on Dell 2650? - Portable

This is a discussion on What OS to run on Dell 2650? - Portable ; I need some advice how to choose a CURRENT lunix version that will work with an older Dell 2650. I need a google search, but the answers are vague and cover older releases. I am must concerned about support for ...

  1. What OS to run on Dell 2650?

    I need some advice how to choose a CURRENT lunix version that will
    work with an older Dell 2650. I need a google search, but the answers
    are vague and cover older releases. I am must concerned about support
    for graphics drivers.

    Any pointer to a web site would be helpful.

    Thanks

  2. Re: What OS to run on Dell 2650?

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:46:31 -0600, David staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I need some advice how to choose a CURRENT [Linux] [distro] that will
    > work with an older Dell 2650. I need a google search, but the answers
    > are vague and cover older releases.

    If you don't understand the answers you get from Google, what makes you
    think you'll understand answers from Usenet? The general rule with
    Linux is that if distro version X supports hardware FOO, then distro
    versions X+1 .. X+bignum support hardware FOO as well.

    > I am [most] concerned about support for graphics drivers. Any pointer
    > to a web site would be helpful.

    http://www.chrishowells.co.uk/index.php?content=8 says a Dell Inspiron
    2650 has an i845 IDE chipset, a Geforce2Go, and a 3c59x. All of that
    hardware has been supported for *years* and should work fine on any
    recent distro. http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html should be one of the
    first places you look for questions like "How do I get laptop Z working
    with Linux?" HTH,

    --
    The night passed like a kidney stone: painfully and with the help of
    major sedatives. --T. Delgado, Lyttle Lytton winner, 2001

  3. Re: What OS to run on Dell 2650?

    Hi David,

    I will recommand first, trying out a live Linux distribution. for
    example, Ubuntu.

    good luck

    David wrote:
    > I need some advice how to choose a CURRENT lunix version that will
    > work with an older Dell 2650. I need a google search, but the answers
    > are vague and cover older releases. I am must concerned about support
    > for graphics drivers.
    >
    > Any pointer to a web site would be helpful.
    >
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread