Installing Linux on an ACER Aspire 3681 - Portable

This is a discussion on Installing Linux on an ACER Aspire 3681 - Portable ; I'm sure that there is some embarassingly simple solution to my problem, but I can't find it. I've got SuSE 10.1 on a Linux Format (magazine) DVD, which my shiny new lap-top can read. Unfortunately, I can't see any way ...

  1. Installing Linux on an ACER Aspire 3681

    I'm sure that there is some embarassingly simple solution to my
    problem, but I can't find it.

    I've got SuSE 10.1 on a Linux Format (magazine) DVD, which my shiny new
    lap-top can read.

    Unfortunately, I can't see any way of getting the laptop to boot from
    the DVD reader (or a USB memeory stick, which would seem to be the
    other wy to go). ACER's web-site is unhelpful, and the search strings
    I've tied with Google always seem to find stuff from people who know
    how to change the boot options - which is easy on my regular desk-top
    PC (which runs Windows XP and SuSE 10.0), and less than obvious for the
    3681.

    All advice gratefully recieved.

    --
    Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

  2. Re: Installing Linux on an ACER Aspire 3681

    On 8 Nov 2006 14:10:55 -0800, bill.sloman@ieee.org staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I've got SuSE 10.1 on a Linux Format (magazine) DVD, which my shiny new
    > laptop can read. Unfortunately, I can't see any way of getting the
    > laptop to boot from the DVD reader. ACER's web-site is unhelpful, and
    > the search strings I've tied with Google always seem to find stuff
    > from people who know how to change the boot options

    The thing that usually works with x86s (unless the manufacturers were
    completely high on crack) is to hold down a key, turn the machine on,
    and continue to hold the key down. The x86 should eventually display
    "Keyboard stuck key failure. Press FOO to run Setup, BAR to continue".
    Press FOO, enter the BIOS Setup, hope it wasn't designed by Compaq.
    Usually, FOO will be F1 or Delete or F2.

    If you can get into the BIOS Setup, but Setup was designed by chimps or
    was translated from Mandarin to English by someone who only spoke
    Tagalog, that will require more fiddling on your part. You may wish to
    take pictures of the problematic Setup screens with your digicam, then
    upload them to your webspace, then follow up with a URL if this is your
    problem. HTH anyway,

    --
    One OS to rule them all, with DRM to find them
    One OS to bring them all and with the EULA bind them

  3. Re: Installing Linux on an ACER Aspire 3681

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On 8 Nov 2006 14:10:55 -0800, bill.sloman@ieee.org staggered into the
    > Black Sun and said:
    > > I've got SuSE 10.1 on a Linux Format (magazine) DVD, which my shiny new
    > > laptop can read. Unfortunately, I can't see any way of getting the
    > > laptop to boot from the DVD reader. ACER's web-site is unhelpful, and
    > > the search strings I've tied with Google always seem to find stuff
    > > from people who know how to change the boot options

    > The thing that usually works with x86s (unless the manufacturers were
    > completely high on crack) is to hold down a key, turn the machine on,
    > and continue to hold the key down. The x86 should eventually display
    > "Keyboard stuck key failure. Press FOO to run Setup, BAR to continue".
    > Press FOO, enter the BIOS Setup, hope it wasn't designed by Compaq.
    > Usually, FOO will be F1 or Delete or F2.
    >
    > If you can get into the BIOS Setup, but Setup was designed by chimps or
    > was translated from Mandarin to English by someone who only spoke
    > Tagalog, that will require more fiddling on your part. You may wish to
    > take pictures of the problematic Setup screens with your digicam, then
    > upload them to your webspace, then follow up with a URL if this is your
    > problem. HTH anyway,

    Thanks. That worked, and the SuSE 10.1 instillation is starting to
    install as I type.

    The BIOS was as cranky as you'd expect, but I started my career with
    computers toggling in the 14-word RIM loader to get my PDP-8 in a state
    to read the regular loader off paper tape, and I've gotten used to
    cranky interfaces.

    Previous experience suggests that I'll still have to do quite a bit
    more fiddling to get everything right ...

    --
    Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

  4. Re: Installing Linux on an ACER Aspire 3681

    bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

    > ........ but I started my career with
    > computers toggling in the 14-word RIM loader to get my PDP-8 in a state
    > to read the regular loader off paper tape, and I've gotten used to
    > cranky interfaces.

    Gosh! That brought back some memories! I learned my early programming skills
    (such as they are!) on a PDP-8 at college. Yes, I remember loading in the
    bootloader on the switch register on the front panel (by hand) before it would
    even look at the paper tape reader! We had 4 teletypes time sharing on it, and
    if anyone typed "go?" to do a FOCAL program trace, everything came to a
    grinding halt!

    Nostalgia's not what it used to be.......

    ;-)

    --
    Pete
    christy@NOattglobalSPAM.net

  5. Re: Installing Linux on an ACER Aspire 3681

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 13:01:39 GMT, Peter Christy wrote:

    >bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:
    >
    >> ........ but I started my career with
    >> computers toggling in the 14-word RIM loader to get my PDP-8 in a state
    >> to read the regular loader off paper tape, and I've gotten used to
    >> cranky interfaces.

    >Gosh! That brought back some memories! I learned my early programming skills
    >(such as they are!) on a PDP-8 at college. Yes, I remember loading in the
    >bootloader on the switch register on the front panel (by hand) before it would
    >even look at the paper tape reader! We had 4 teletypes time sharing on it, and
    >if anyone typed "go?" to do a FOCAL program trace, everything came to a
    >grinding halt!

    16 push-buttons on the front of a Honeywell 516. We all had the boot loader
    bits memorized. 4k words of core, external 100M hard drive the size of a
    dishwasher. 4k core upgrade cost $10k IIRC. Or maybe 10k cost $4k.

    Sure do miss the old days...

    Old man Waddington
    --
    William D Waddington