Problems with a modems under linux - Portable

This is a discussion on Problems with a modems under linux - Portable ; I need some help with the modems I have for a laptop of mine; one of them is the built-in one and another is an external one I had lying around. The on is an Agere Systems AC'97 modem; the ...

  1. Problems with a modems under linux

    I need some help with the modems I have for a laptop of mine; one of
    them is the built-in one and another is an external one I had lying
    around. The on is an Agere Systems AC'97 modem; the other is a US
    Robotics XJ4288 PC Card modem. I'm running a Debian 3.1 AMD64 version
    of linux; I'm pretty sure it's a 2.6.8 kernel.

    I've tried scanModem for the internal modem but I couldn't understand
    what to do with the result.

    I've reached my wit's end here, anything will help.

    Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Problems with a modems under linux

    On 22 Oct 2006 11:47:51 -0700, kawk@theprogrammingsite.com staggered
    into the Black Sun and said:
    > I need some help with the modems I have for a laptop of mine

    Does this laptop have a make and a model#? This information is always
    useful, and occasionally vital. Most FooLaptop 9000s have the same
    hardware or very similar hardware, so if you check
    http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html for that make and model#, you can
    often find complete reports of how to get everything working.

    > The [built-in modem] is an Agere Systems AC'97 modem

    This could be anything. What's lspci say it is?

    > US Robotics XJ4288 PC Card modem. I'm running a Debian 3.1 AMD64
    > version of linux; I'm pretty sure it's a 2.6.8 kernel.

    If you're running stable, you may want to think about running testing
    instead. Stable is pretty antiquated, especially if you have "weird
    hardware" (most laptops qualify) to support. If the PCMCIA modem is a
    Real Modem, all you should have to do is plug it in and pcmcia-cs should
    recognize it automagically. If it's not... that won't work. Maybe you
    should post the output of "cardctl ident" when this device is inserted.

    > I've tried scanModem for the internal modem but I couldn't understand
    > what to do with the result.

    Post the text you didn't understand, and maybe one of the other
    newsgroup readers will understand it.

    > I've reached my wits' end here, anything will help.

    Modems are, in general, too much of a pain to bother with in this modern
    world if you're not living in BFE. (There are at least 4 unsecured
    802.11bg APs visible from my living room, and the fast-food place I ate
    lunch at yesterday had a sign advertising free 802.11 access.) But
    provide the info I asked for above, and it might be possible to get one
    of these devices working properly.

    --
    I find that having a pint or two is a good problem-solving technique.
    Especially if it's vodka rather than beer.

  3. Re: Problems with a modems under linux

    kawk@theprogrammingsite.com writes:

    >I need some help with the modems I have for a laptop of mine; one of
    >them is the built-in one and another is an external one I had lying
    >around. The on is an Agere Systems AC'97 modem; the other is a US
    >Robotics XJ4288 PC Card modem. I'm running a Debian 3.1 AMD64 version
    >of linux; I'm pretty sure it's a 2.6.8 kernel.

    >I've tried scanModem for the internal modem but I couldn't understand
    >what to do with the result.

    >I've reached my wit's end here, anything will help.

    >Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

    >Thanks in advance.

    You neither tell us what the problem is or what you want help with.

  4. Re: Problems with a modems under linux

    The laptop is a Aspire AS5003WLMi with an AMD Turion ML-32 processer.

    lscpi syays this for the modem:

    0000:00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem
    Controller (rev a0)

    The scanModem files I got are as follows:

    ModemData:

    DO use the following line as the email Subject Line, to alert cogent
    experts:
    scanModem, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 kernel 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8
    Occassionally reponses are blocked by an Internet Provider mail
    filters.
    So do in a day also check the Archived responses at
    DISCUSS@linmodems.org
    Code updated on: 2006_April_11
    ------------ -------------- System information
    ------------------------
    Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
    on System with processor: x86_64
    currently under kernel: 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DialupModemHowto has good general guidance.
    Be sure to read the Ethernet section of Modem/YourSystem.txt
    A /dev/modem symbolic link is not present
    USB modem not detected.

    Checking for audio card
    0000:00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
    [SiS] Sound Controller (rev a0)
    Reading /proc/asound/pcm
    The potentially supporting drivers now loaded on this System are:

    The kernel was assembled with compiler: 3.4.4
    with current System compiler GCC=3.3.5
    -------------
    Found make utility.
    -------------
    Checking for kernel-headers needed for compiling.
    Kernel-header resources needed for compiling are not manifestly ready!

    Modem candidates are at PCI_buses: 0000:00:02.6

    Providing detail for device at 0000:00:02.6
    with vendor-ID:device-ID
    ----:----
    Class 0703: 1039:7013 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97
    Modem Controller (rev a0) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
    SubSystem 1025:0083 Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 0083
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 18
    Checking for IRQ 18 sharing with modem.
    O-APIC-level SiS 7012

    -----PCI_IDs------- --CompilerVer-

    Feature List: Primary Subsystem Distr KernelVer kernel default
    CPU
    ./scanModem test 1039:7013 1025:0083 debian_version 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8
    3.4.4 3.3.5 x86_64
    The following two Root commands should set up the modem.
    modprobe snd-intel8x0m
    slmodemd --alsa -c YOUR_COUNTRY modem:1
    Get the SLMODEMD.gcc3.tar.gz from
    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

    The controller: 1039:7013 SIS 630
    is capable of supporting soft modem chips from AT LEAST manufacturers:
    Pctel
    AgereSystems
    Conexant
    Intel
    Smartlink
    The Subsystem PCI id does not itself identify the modem Codec.
    Checking for autoloaded ALSA modem drivers

    Driver snd-intel8x0m may enable codec acquisition

    SoftModem.txt:

    Soft Modem Information

    The earlier generations of modems had chips with digital signal
    processing (DSP) capability in which
    most of the total modem effort proceeded. The "soft modem" is a
    generic name for modems
    which lack DSP. Rather, the CPU does almost all the signal processing
    as directed by software code.
    There are a few soft modems which are fully identified by the primary
    PCI ID of the modem card,
    such as the Agere Systems 11c1:048(a,b,c,d) series.

    The larger family is more troublesome, for identification of supporting
    software.
    They are comprised of a primary modem controller which can host a
    variety of Subsystems.
    Both the primary PCI ID and "mc97 codec" written in a Subsystem
    firmware chip are required,
    for assessing support under Linux. Only subsequently is the Subsystem
    PCI ID useful, for record keeping.

    The scanModem script contains five routines for acquiring the critical
    mc97 codec identification:
    1) a modem driver independent test, only usefull for some of the
    earliest soft modems,
    described at the end of this file;
    2) a test using modem drivers already on your System, as part of the
    ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound
    Architecture) software package ; See Slmodem-ALSA.txt for details.
    3) a test requiring the SmartLink slamr.ko driver: see Slmodem.txt ;
    4) comparison with PCI IDs with codecs historically gathered and stored
    within scanModem;
    5) In case 1-4 are not adequate, there are the following instructions
    for running ATI queries under Microsoft windows.
    Chipset information may be obtained under Microsoft Windows through:
    1) Start > Settings > Control Panel > Classical View (for WinXP) >
    System > Hardware >
    DeviceManager > Modems > Click on the + > Modem
    Double click to expand the graphic. Manufacturer information may be
    displayed. For example,
    CXT stands for Conexant.
    Click the Diagnostics Tab, Record any Hardware ID or Vendor &
    Device information.
    Next do the Query Modem and record the ATI specifications.
    Try to identify the modem setup file, with name perhaps MODEM.INF
    2) Open a COMM console, and send ATI commands to the modem (ATI, ATI1,
    ATI2, etc)
    which may elicit chipset and driver information. Here is an example
    ATI3 - Agere SoftModem Version 2.1.22
    ATI5 - 2.1.22, AMR Intel MB, AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27
    successfully identifying an Agere SoftModem chipset, both by name
    and through
    the:softmodem SIL ID: AC97 ID:SIL REV:0x27

    The IBM mwave modem is not a softmodem, but cannot be detected by
    scanModem.
    But the mwave driver is included in 2.6.n kernel releases. So try
    # modprobe mwave
    Either the module will load, or the absence of the modem will be
    indicated by:
    FATAL: Error inserting mwave
    (/lib/modules/2.6.10-1-686/kernel/drivers/char/mwave/mwave.ko):
    Input/output error
    See http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/mini/ACP-Modem/ for details on
    this modem.

    Subsystems for softmodems are primarily made by Silicon Labs (SIL),
    under contract to companies like Intel, Agere Systems, Motorola etc.
    In the Table below,
    The ChipMadeBy does NOT imply software support directly from that
    manufacturer.

    The chart of information below is largely harvested from messages to
    discuss@linmodems.org.
    A codec_indent like REV:0x27 is reported by diagnostics under
    Microsoft, as illustrated above.
    The matching designation like SIL27 are translations under Linux,
    output by a diagnostic of the slamr.ko driver, from the SmartLink
    slmodem software.
    The SIL is an abbreviation for Silicon Laboratorys Inc., which
    provides Subsystems for many total modem assemblies.
    SML is used below as abbreviation for SmartLink Inc., with official
    driver resources at
    http://www.smlink.com/main/index1.php?ln=en&main_id=40 and
    recent patches provided at:
    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

    codec_ident ID translation driver sources
    --------------------- ------------------
    -------------------------
    0x21 SIL21 PCTel for 2.4.n kernels, pctel-2.7.9 at
    http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux,
    and SML for 2.4.n or
    2.6.n kernels
    0x23 SIL23 PCtel same as SIL21
    0x22 SIL22 SML
    0x26 SIL26 SML
    0x24 SIL24 Broadcom, use SML drivers
    ???? BCM64 Broadcom, use SML in ALSA mode, but only under the
    Intel ICH modem controllers.
    0x25 SIL25 Intel 537AA " or SML
    ???? INT65 Intel
    537EA http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/Intel/537/ or SML
    0x27 SIL27 AgereSystems(AS), use SML needed under 2.6.n
    kernels,
    but for 2.4.n, there are also AS drivers
    through
    http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site...cid=MIGR-52698

    0x2F SIL2F Same as SIL27
    ???? CXT(21,22,23,29,41 and others) Conexant -
    http://www.linuxant.com/drivers, the hsfmodem package

    If a novel identifier is displayed during diagnostics, please report
    to discuss@linmodems.org

    A rough/practical guide is first given, with some qualifications and
    exceptions to follow:
    SILnm (n,m digits) are SML supportable;
    CXTnm are ONLY supported by the http://www.linuxant.com/drivers,
    the hsfmodem package ;
    INTnm are supported by Intel drivers and perhaps slmodemd with
    ALSA support;
    BCMnm, INT65 (and similar name styles) have had successes with
    SmartLink slmodem in ALSA mode.
    See the companion Slmodem-ALSA.txt for details.
    Qualifications to the Table below relate to Linux software support for
    soft modem controllers.
    In particular, no software package provides support for all soft modem
    controllers.

    Primary
    PCI_IDs Name Possible support by:
    --------------- -----------------------------
    -------------------------
    8086:1080 ac97 controller i .
    8086:2416 82801AA ICHAA > + A a p c .
    8086:2426 82801AB ICHAB > + A a .
    8086:7186 > c .
    8086:7196 82440 Banister > + A a c .
    8086:2446 82801BA ICH2 > + A a p c .
    8086:2486 82801CA/CAM ICH3 > + A a p c i .
    8086:24c6 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)1DB ICH4 > + A a c i
    b .
    8086:24d6 82801EB ICH5 > + A c i .
    8086:266d 82801EB ICH6> + A c .
    8086:2668 Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High
    Definition Audio Controller> H c .
    8086:27d8 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
    Definition Audio Controller H .
    8086:xxxx types above are from Intel

    1039:7013 SIS 630 > + a p c i .
    1039:7018 SIS 960 > + i .
    10de:01c1 Nvidia Corp > + i .
    10de:00d9 Nvidia Corp > A c .
    1106:3068 VIA > + a p c i .
    1022:7446 AMD AC_LINK > + .
    10b9:5450 ALI 5450 >
    10b9:5451 ALI 5451 > + a c .
    10b9:5453 ALI 5453 AC-Link > p c .
    1025:5453 ALI 5453 AC-Link > c .
    10b9:5457 ALI 5457 AC-Link > + p c i .
    1025:5457 ALI 5457 AC-Link > c . .
    1002:434d ATI > T a c i .
    1002:4378 ATI > c .
    1543:3052 SI3052 > i .
    The following letters indicate compatibility for the modem controller,
    BUT do NOT gaurantee support by the software.
    Support MUST be ascertained by identifing the soft modem codec.

    + SmartLink (SML) - http://www.smlink.com, the slmodem-2.n.m
    series
    A SML slmodem-2.n.m-alsa software supporting the ALSA
    intel8x0m-modem driver
    H SML slmodem-2.n.m-alsa software supporting the ALSA
    hda-intel-modem driver
    Soft modems with the Broadcom codec BCM64 should thus be served.
    T SML slmodem-2.n.m-alsa software supporting the ALSA
    snd-atiixp-modem driver
    With the above SML software, port creation is controlled by a daemon,
    slmodemd,
    rather than being a static feature of the /dev/ files.
    a AgereSystems only under 2.4.n
    p PCtel support at http://pctelcompdb.sourceforge.net/
    c Conexant/Rockwell - http://www.linuxant.com
    i Intel - http://www.intel.com
    b Broadcom, under 2.4.n kernels, with ALSA code under 2.6.n
    for details on A and T slmodem implementations, see
    Modem/Slmodem-ALSA.txt

    To achieve codec readouts for SmartLink (SML) compatible modem
    controllers listed above,
    follow the directions in Slmodem.txt.

    The 1) driver independent test, some details
    During bootup, kernel diagnostics on the System are stored for later
    display by:
    dmesg
    This information may include a SIL_id of modems under AC97/MC97
    Controllers,
    depending upon the type of bridging of the modem card to the
    motherboard.
    The scanModem script processes dmesg output to capture AC97 modem
    information,
    parses it into a SIL_id if possible, and then displays of modem chipset
    information.
    Guidance to sources of modem supporting software may thus be obtained.

    The transfer of the AC97 information to the dmesg buffer requires that
    modules supporting
    both the digital audio card and the ac97_codec be loaded during bootup:
    modprobe ac97_codec
    modprobe audio_drivers (such as i810_audio)
    This can be checked after bootup with:
    lsmod

    This script can also be used by entering a test block with
    nomenclature:
    ./scanModem SILtest
    with SILtest a text file in This Folder
    containing a section of a dmesg output or /var/log/messages like:

    i810: Intel ICH 82801AA found at IO 0xdc00 and 0xd800, IRQ 11
    i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 2 channels.
    ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x4144:0x5340 (Analog Devices
    AD1881)
    i810_audio: AC97 codec 0 Unable to map surround DAC's (or DAC's not
    present), total channels = 2
    ac97_codec: AC97 Modem codec, id: 0x5349:0x4c22 (Silicon Laboratory
    Si3036)

    which does include a line beginning with: ac97_codec: AC97 Modem
    codec, id:

    YourSystem.txt:

    Attempted or effective networking links are displayed by command:
    # /sbin/ifconfig
    A block with "lo" is an internal loopback test and harmless.
    However, ethernet "eth0" can be problematic for PPP connections,
    because of competition for DNS (domain name service).
    The default is to use the DNS specified for etherenet and
    without expert configuration, this will block browser naviagation
    through PPP.
    ========== ifconfig test =============
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:36:10:08:E6
    inet6 addr: fe80::216:36ff:fe10:8e6/64 Scope:Link
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback

    If is wisest to disable bootup establishment of ethernet in your
    Control Center.
    Depending on your Linux distribution,
    one of the following Root commands way alternatively be
    effective:
    # ifdown eth0
    # ifconfig eth0 down
    # /etc/init.d/network stop
    # /etc/init.d/networking stop

    The System has Ethernet capability. If not expert,
    shut down ethernet before initiated modem usage with:
    # ifconfig eth0 down

  5. Re: Problems with a modems under linux

    On 22 Oct 2006 16:21:33 -0700, kawk@theprogrammingsite.com staggered
    into the Black Sun and said:

    When using that never-to-be-sufficiently-damned "G2" excuse for a
    newsreader, follow the directions at http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google to
    get it to do the right thing.

    > The laptop is a Aspire AS5003WLMi

    "Aspire" isn't listed in the manufacturer listings on Tuxmobil. This is
    an Acer, isn't it? There are no listings for the Acer 5003WLMi, though
    there are for the 5002 and 5004. You should write something up for this
    machine once you've got everything working, so other people can benefit
    from your experience.

    [snipped]
    > Class 0703: 1039:7013 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97
    > Modem Controller (rev a0) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
    > O-APIC-level SiS 7012

    SiS 7012, that's mentioned in the kernel code.

    > The following two Root commands should set up the modem.
    > modprobe snd-intel8x0m
    > slmodemd --alsa -c YOUR_COUNTRY modem:1
    > Get the SLMODEMD.gcc3.tar.gz from
    > http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

    Did you see this part of the output? Did you do as it suggested? There
    was a lot of text there, but you've got to grep it by eyeball and filter
    out the junk. (Similar processes apply to text generated by students,
    lawyers, and MBAs.)

    [much more snippage]

    ....OK, one thing was expressed verbosely in the text file and will be
    condensed below. A lot of these things aren't really modems
    (naturally). If you modprobe snd-intel8x0m and you immediately see
    something like "intel8x0m status code 0xff: resources busy" in the
    output from dmesg, you've probably got one of those.

    However, many of these semi-modems are at least partially supported
    by the slmodem series of modules. All I had to do was "emerge slmodem"
    and then modprobe slamr to get the semi-modem working reasonably well in
    my Thinkpad T42p. You may have to do the Debian equivalent of those
    commands. The [snipped] scanmodem text describes a set of procedures
    that you can follow. Try the modprobe/slmodemd thing first, if that
    fails, try the more complex procedure it outlined. HTH,

    --
    Q: How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Two. One to hold the giraffe and the other to fill the bathtub

  6. Re: Problems with a modems under linux

    Thanks. Now that I have completed that, where do I tell a modem dialer
    to point to? /dev/modem or somewhere else?

    My problem with SLMODEMD was that I downloaded the wrong version. Sorry
    about that.

    The laptop is actually an Acer Aspire 5003WLMi. I think the laptop was
    a custom-configured by Staples (where I bought the laptop). I can't
    find it anywhere on the internet either.

  7. Re: Problems with a modems under linux

    On 23 Oct 2006 14:01:07 -0700, kawk@theprogrammingsite.com staggered
    into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >>kawk@theprogrammingsite.com wrote:
    >>When using that never-to-be-sufficiently-damned "G2" excuse for a
    >>newsreader, follow the directions at http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google

    You still aren't including any context. Context restored, but do try to
    include it in the future.

    >>> The laptop is a Aspire AS5003WLMi

    >>"Aspire" isn't listed in the manufacturer listings on Tuxmobil. This
    >>is an Acer, isn't it? There are no listings for the Acer 5003WLMi,

    > The laptop is actually an Acer Aspire 5003WLMi. I think the laptop was
    > a custom-configured by Staples (where I bought the laptop). I can't
    > find it anywhere on the internet either.

    Wonderful. Write up a page, then, and you can be the first one out
    there and do something valuable for other Linux users!

    >>> modprobe snd-intel8x0m
    >>> slmodemd --alsa -c YOUR_COUNTRY modem:1
    >>> Get the SLMODEMD.gcc3.tar.gz from
    >>> http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

    >>...OK, one thing was expressed verbosely in the text file and will be
    >>condensed below. A lot of these things aren't really modems However,
    >>many of these semi-modems are at least partially supported by the
    >>slmodem series of modules.

    > Thanks. Now that I have completed that, where do I tell a modem dialer
    > to point to? /dev/modem or somewhere else?

    The default device name is /dev/ttySL0 , which is actually a symlink to
    the current VT (weird!) on my laptop. This is probably because of the
    strange way this thing works; it's a soundcard on hallucinogens and not
    a real modem. If no /dev/modem symlink exists, either make one with ln
    -s (static /dev) or add SYMLINK="modem" to the udev ruleset for SL0
    (udev-managed /dev). You're using udev if "pgrep udevd" returns a PID.

    > My problem with SLMODEMD was that I downloaded the wrong version.
    > Sorry about that.

    I didn't know they had different versions for gcc 3 and gcc 4. Oh well,
    get that symlink going and you should have no problems with pppd or
    whatever. HTH,

    --
    Due to inflation, your 40 acres and a mule have now been reduced to
    400 square feet and a guinea pig.

  8. Re: Problems with a modems under linux

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > > My problem with SLMODEMD was that I downloaded the wrong version.
    > > Sorry about that.

    > I didn't know they had different versions for gcc 3 and gcc 4. Oh well,
    > get that symlink going and you should have no problems with pppd or
    > whatever. HTH,

    Ok. It's almost there but not quite. Do I use the
    PACKAGEDIR/scripts/debian/slmodemd script or do I use the
    PACKAGEDIR/slmodemd file? The latter doesn't work, as I suspect it's
    because it's a 32-bit ELF executable and I'm running a 64-bit kernel.
    Is there any way to get around this? The first runs but actually does
    nothing (kppp doesn't recognise that there's a modem at /dev/ttySL0. ).
    Also, the only tar.gz file that works is
    slmodemd-2.9.11_20051009_gcc3.tar.gz. Even then I have to use
    scripts/debian/slmodemd.

  9. Re: Problems with a modems under linux

    On 23 Oct 2006 20:39:16 -0700, kawk@theprogrammingsite.com staggered
    into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> I didn't know they had different versions for gcc 3 and gcc 4. Oh
    >> well, get that symlink going and you should have no problems with
    >> pppd or whatever. HTH,

    > Ok. It's almost there but not quite. Do I use the
    > PACKAGEDIR/scripts/debian/slmodemd script or do I use the
    > PACKAGEDIR/slmodemd file?

    If your distro has a package for slmodem, use that. Otherwise, use the
    debian/slmodemd script.

    > The latter doesn't work, as I suspect it's because it's a 32-bit ELF
    > executable and I'm running a 64-bit kernel. Is there any way to get
    > around this?

    Er... what? 32-bit junk should work properly on amd64 as long as all
    the emulation stuff is installed. Gentoo, at least, sets it up such
    that there's /lib32 and /lib64 , and similar dirs in /usr. The default
    amd64 Gentoo install CD sets this up so that it works out of the box.
    YDistroMV, RitsFineM for details. Sorry, can't be more specific, the
    Debian boxes at work are all running on 32-bit hardware.

    > kppp doesn't recognise that there's a modem at /dev/ttySL0.

    I see from the comments in the init script that this gets created when
    slmodemd starts. The "real" device may actually be named /dev/slamr0 ,
    but I don't think you point pppd at that device.

    > Also, the only tar.gz file that works is
    > slmodemd-2.9.11_20051009_gcc3.tar.gz. Even then I have to use
    > scripts/debian/slmodemd.

    Er, yeah. If you're trying to use weird hardware (most laptops) with
    outdated software (Debian stable), you will usually find interesting
    problems. Oh well, HTH,

    --
    "Right now i got approx. 3 KB RAM left, still enough to do a lot of
    useful stuff."

  10. Re: Problems with a modems under linux

    > On 23 Oct 2006 20:39:16 -0700, kawk@theprogrammingsite.com staggered
    > into the Black Sun and said:
    > > Dances With Crows wrote:
    > >> I didn't know they had different versions for gcc 3 and gcc 4. Oh
    > >> well, get that symlink going and you should have no problems with
    > >> pppd or whatever. HTH,

    > > Ok. It's almost there but not quite. Do I use the
    > > PACKAGEDIR/scripts/debian/slmodemd script or do I use the
    > > PACKAGEDIR/slmodemd file?

    > If your distro has a package for slmodem, use that. Otherwise, use the
    > debian/slmodemd script.

    Oh, great. Now that I'm actually using slmodemd properly, I get this
    error:

    SmartLink modem driver not supported by Kernel 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8.
    Exiting . . .

    So what do I do? If I can't get this modem to work, then I'm going to
    start saving up for a external non-winmodem hardware modem.

    > > The latter doesn't work, as I suspect it's because it's a 32-bit ELF
    > > executable and I'm running a 64-bit kernel. Is there any way to get
    > > around this?

    > Er... what? 32-bit junk should work properly on amd64 as long as all
    > the emulation stuff is installed. Gentoo, at least, sets it up such
    > that there's /lib32 and /lib64 , and similar dirs in /usr. The default
    > amd64 Gentoo install CD sets this up so that it works out of the box.
    > YDistroMV, RitsFineM for details. Sorry, can't be more specific, the
    > Debian boxes at work are all running on 32-bit hardware.

    I don't have the emulation installed, I guess I should install it.

+ Reply to Thread