Wireless on Dell Latitude - Intel 2200 BG - Portable

This is a discussion on Wireless on Dell Latitude - Intel 2200 BG - Portable ; Hi all We installed Zenwalk on a Dell Latitude D610. Installation went pretty smoothly, but the wireless card does not seem to kick in. lspci says: Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection (rev 05) A search in google ...

  1. Wireless on Dell Latitude - Intel 2200 BG

    Hi all
    We installed Zenwalk on a Dell Latitude D610. Installation went pretty
    smoothly, but the wireless card does not seem to kick in.

    lspci says:
    Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    Connection (rev 05)

    A search in google gave us the name of the driver module: ipw2200
    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net has an instruction on installing the
    module, but our kernel 2.6.17.11 already had the following in its
    ..config file:

    CONFIG_IPW2200=m
    and
    CONFIG_CRYPTO=y

    Now "modprobe ipw2200" loads the driver and the dependencies:
    ipw2200 73024 0
    ieee80211 20680 2 ipw2200
    ieee80211_crypt 2432 1 ieee80211

    WITHOUT giving us error messages. Why does "iwconfig" still not give us
    our wireless card?

    Appreciate any help
    Roman

  2. Re: Wireless on Dell Latitude - Intel 2200 BG

    rr writes:

    >Hi all
    >We installed Zenwalk on a Dell Latitude D610. Installation went pretty
    >smoothly, but the wireless card does not seem to kick in.

    >lspci says:
    >Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    >Connection (rev 05)

    >A search in google gave us the name of the driver module: ipw2200
    >http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net has an instruction on installing the
    >module, but our kernel 2.6.17.11 already had the following in its
    >.config file:

    >CONFIG_IPW2200=m
    >and
    >CONFIG_CRYPTO=y

    >Now "modprobe ipw2200" loads the driver and the dependencies:
    >ipw2200 73024 0
    >ieee80211 20680 2 ipw2200
    >ieee80211_crypt 2432 1 ieee80211

    >WITHOUT giving us error messages. Why does "iwconfig" still not give us
    >our wireless card?

    Did you forget to install the firmware for the card? You can download it
    from Intel or you can download it from mandriva-- it is on CD3 I think in
    the non-free section.

    You can check by doing
    dmesg|tail
    immediately after you do
    modprobe ipw2200
    It may say something about having trouble finding the firmware.

    >Appreciate any help
    >Roman

  3. Re: Wireless on Dell Latitude - Intel 2200 BG

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:31:24 +0200, rr wrote:

    > Hi all
    > We installed Zenwalk on a Dell Latitude D610. Installation went pretty
    > smoothly, but the wireless card does not seem to kick in.
    >
    > lspci says:
    > Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    > Connection (rev 05)
    >
    > A search in google gave us the name of the driver module: ipw2200
    > http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net has an instruction on installing the
    > module, but our kernel 2.6.17.11 already had the following in its
    > .config file:
    >
    > CONFIG_IPW2200=m
    > and
    > CONFIG_CRYPTO=y
    >
    > Now "modprobe ipw2200" loads the driver and the dependencies:
    > ipw2200 73024 0
    > ieee80211 20680 2 ipw2200
    > ieee80211_crypt 2432 1 ieee80211
    >
    > WITHOUT giving us error messages. Why does "iwconfig" still not give us
    > our wireless card?

    What does /sbin/ifconfig report? If it shows nothing but 'lo', try

    /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up

    What does ifconfig now report? If it shows eth0, then use iwconfig to set
    up the wireless configuration. Your wireless card may be named something
    other than eth0. Mine is ath0, but I'm using a different card and driver
    than you.

    man ifconfig
    man iwconfig

    for the details.

    Stef

  4. Re: Wireless on Dell Latitude - Intel 2200 BG

    Unruh wrote:

    > Did you forget to install the firmware for the card? You can download it
    > from Intel or you can download it from mandriva-- it is on CD3 I think in

    That could well be the case!

    If I understood a similar excursion correctly,
    - the firmware of the interface is normally loaded into RAM
    - the people at ipw2200.sourceforge.net have written alternative
    firmware for this interface
    - you get the matching firmware for the ipw2200 driver, do some
    sort of a "cut" and copy to the proper place, _before_ loading
    the driver

    Sorry I can't be more accurate, you'll find a howto in the net.

    Arun

  5. Thank you all

    The problem was indeed the firmware.
    dmesg did _not_ give error messages when modprobe was invoked, but
    when glancing over http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/INSTALL we missed the
    point where the firmware is loaded. Seeing that most of the installation
    was already completed for us during the installation of Zenwalk, we
    thought that our problem was more "exotic". In the end it boils down to
    rtfm.

    Thank you Unruh and Arun for pointing this out so softly

    Greetings
    Roman

    PS: For those of you who are interested about the details:
    I had to download the firmware from
    http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/firmware.php (or intel.com, seems to be
    the same thing)
    and copy the contents to /lib/firmware/ (for you it may be
    /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/)

    After that, the network card was shown as eth1 under iwconfig and
    ifconfig. From here on, we should be able to get the connection...

    Unruh wrote:
    > rr writes:
    >
    >> Hi all
    >> We installed Zenwalk on a Dell Latitude D610. Installation went pretty
    >> smoothly, but the wireless card does not seem to kick in.

    >> lspci says:
    >> Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
    >> Connection (rev 05)

    >> A search in google gave us the name of the driver module: ipw2200
    >> http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net has an instruction on installing the
    >> module, but our kernel 2.6.17.11 already had the following in its
    >> .config file:

    >> CONFIG_IPW2200=m
    >> and
    >> CONFIG_CRYPTO=y

    >> Now "modprobe ipw2200" loads the driver and the dependencies:
    >> ipw2200 73024 0
    >> ieee80211 20680 2 ipw2200
    >> ieee80211_crypt 2432 1 ieee80211

    >> WITHOUT giving us error messages. Why does "iwconfig" still not give us
    >> our wireless card?

    > Did you forget to install the firmware for the card? You can download it
    > from Intel or you can download it from mandriva-- it is on CD3 I think in
    > the non-free section.
    >
    > You can check by doing
    > dmesg|tail
    > immediately after you do
    > modprobe ipw2200
    > It may say something about having trouble finding the firmware.
    >

    >> Appreciate any help
    >> Roman

+ Reply to Thread